Blue Heeler Question

K train

As a child I had a Blue Heeler and Black Lab mixed dog and I loved her because of that I would like to have a blue heeler soon in the future. The problem is that my fiancee whom I live with has chickens in our backyard three of them right now and she's planning on getting more. I was wondering if there was anyway I could train a Blue Heeler to not hurt the chickens in anyway including nipping at them I am planning on getting a puppy.

Hi K_Train, Welcome to Chazhound Dog Forums!

Gee, that is a tough one for me. But I bet it is neat having chickens in your backyard, wish I could have them :)

Chazhound

I would get him used to them ever since hes a puppy so he wont mind them when hes fully grown. I actually raised my miniature dachshund with a rabbit and he never attacked the rabbit.

S

Sadarra

Heelers and Chickens

Your best bet is to just simply sepperate them. Cattle Dogs/Heelers are hard wired to nip and their is little you can do to stop the behavior. Contain the chickens in one area of the yard with a fence large enough to keep the dog out.

You can implement training while the dog is young to ensure that if they ever come in contact you will have complete control.

Teach the pup a firm "Leave-it". When pup approaches a forbidden object (shoe, your food, child toy, etc...) tell "Leave-it" in a stern tone. When pup looks at you praise and pop a treat in his mouth. He'll get the idea. When he will forget about liver or a small yapping dog at your command then you are ready to graduate to the chickens.

*Never* allow pup to chase the chickens, always keep control by having a leash dragging behind pup. This way you can step on the leash the instant pup acts up.

It will take the dog a while to learn that chickens are off limits. Never expect a pup to ignore them, wait till he is 2 years before you try anything off leash. It'll take only once for the pup to learn that chickens are fun to chase.

Good luck to you. Proper exercise and training will ensure that your pup is a well behaved member of your feathered family. A bored, untrained dog will terrorize the chickens no matter how many safety precautions you take.

K train

Thanks

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone and I would really like to thank Sadarra, fencing off the chickens from the dog is extremely possible with my yard and I can't believe I didn't think of that in the first place. Between me and my fiancee I'm real sure the dog will have lots of exercise and attention so it shouldn't be too bored, now I'll just have to prepare my backyard for the dog.

In case you ever come back chazhound chickens in the backyard isn't as bad as people told me it would be. We have a rooster and two hens so far all all game chickens and we're awaiting some silkies to come in, we just barely live off the city line which is showing to have a lot of advantages for the animal lovers we are,.We've only been living together for 5 months in this new house but animals are already starting to take over. We have planted lots of plants in the back and chickens somehow know which plant to scratch and which not to! It was also funny to see our cat attack the rooster, poor thing (he didn't get too hurt don't worry)

Well back on the dog if you have anymore suggestions for me then it would be very appreciated thanks to everyone!

At one point, I had a German Shepherd (Purdue), a Toy Fox Terrier (Mickey), Morgan the Mutt, Gulliver the yellow tomcat, two white ducks a Banty rooster and two hens. It wasn't unusual to look out in the back yard and see them all lazing around together, perfectly contented. What was funny was watching what happened when the dogs had an excavation project going. The ducks and chickens would crowd around, swooping down and grabbing the worms that got dug up.

They learn to get along once everyone's convinced that they're family.

K train

Well that would be nice

It would be nice if that would be able to happen in this situation but I doubt a Blue Heeler's going to get along with any chickens. Me and my fiancee were outside today and the rooster was on our laps (during my turn he fell asleep he's really gentle he still has his spurs and everything yet he never uses them and he doesn't peck) the cats are learning whose in charge and though the chickens are still nervous around them they haven't been attacking. Maybe some of the animals will learn to get along but I'm not even hoping the Blue Heeler will.

L

LeAnne

If I can get a pit/lab puppy (now almost 2yrs old) to get along with our flock of chickens, ducks and geese; I'll bet you could also! Although "Cha-Cha" doesnt "grab" or take down our chickens and fowl, we did teach her to "leave Em" and now she will sit on our concrete patio and just watch them for hours on end, lol. She will chase them when they approch the house though, but instead of grabbing them, will "jump over them to scare them off, which is OK by me becouse the dropping of the birds is such a mess and hard to get off the concrete.

This all needs to be done as mentioned above, as a pup, but depending upon the pups personality, CAN BE DONE with time and determination.

Email me for some tips if you'd like. PS....... I also do "Poultry Rescue"!

LeAnne Nord
Waterstrike Retrievers
www.waterstrike-retrievers.com
L.E.A.R.N (Labrardor Education And Rescue Network) Volunteer
www.labadoption.org
If you breed, rescue. If you dont breed, rescue anyway.
"If your not part of the solution, you are than part of the problem."

S

Sadarra

Chickens

First off, I'm glad I helped you somewhat :) Second, I want to reply to something that was mentioned over and over. Some people are having success pairing dogs and birds together. While this is something that the poster can hope for with an adult dog a pup (which is what poster is planning to start out with) shouldn't be expected to tolerate this. Just like it's possible to get dogs and cats to live together you can get the same results with other species with hard work and an *adult* dog. Puppies just get too excited ;)

If I can get a pit/lab puppy (now almost 2yrs old) to get along with our flock of chickens, ducks and geese; I'll bet you could also!
Very well done! However, the breeds listed are hard wired quite differently. The Lab and Pit are not herding breeds. The Heeler is a herding breed. Getting a herder to stop this instinct would be very difficult.

I have a 4-year old Australian Shepherd, my family raises beef cattle. Although taught since puppyhood to ignore the cattle (he herds sheep at a trainers, never the cattle) sometimes he just can't help himself and takes off to the fence. Most of the time I catch him before and a prompt Leave-it sends him back to me but every one in a while I don't notice and he chases after them, trying his best to corrale him. With Cedar, his little rebellions aren't that big of a deal so long as he doesn't get kicked but with a heeler chasing the chickens it will be a big deal.

We were amazed at how well Purdue, the German Shepherd, accepted the chickens and ducks. Not only did he love to herd, but his mother had been a notorious chicken killer. I think a large part of how a dog deals with situations is how intensely the dog wants to please you.

A puppy is going to have a difficult time ignoring all those enticing noises and movements, and would have to be restrained on a leash during periods of acclimation, but it's certainly not an impossible - or even improbable goal. Of course, part of the success is going to depend on your choice of puppy. I know that normally many experts advise choosing a puppy that's involved with its littermates and doesn't necessarily come straight to you, but if you're looking for a dog that's going to be very closely attuned to what you want from it, you should strongly consider the puppy that makes a bee-line for you and finds you infinitely more fascinating than its mates.

I must admit I've always completely ignored the experts and have chosen my dog or puppy this way each and every time and it's never been a mistake.

Old Dog

Ol'Dogger
Having owned cattledogs and heelers are similar but a little sharper in nature, as someone else said they are hard wired. Independent thinking. Males although super smart are super stubborn also. If I were to entertain the idea of getting a heeler it would be a female they are easier to work with. These dogs do not make good city dogs they are what they are herding breed and you can control but you can't take instinct out of them. They need room to exercise and like border collies they like to have something to do or they will invent things to do!!!!!!!!! Be sure to go to a reputable breeder.

W

Whitedobelover

my brother has a blue heeler, a blue tick, coon hound and a red bone and he raised them from pups not to chase the chickens and they dont chase them... just look at them sometimes... nothing big... so yes you can you just have to take your time at triaining them...at least that is whatmy brother did... hope that helps

LorriF

Puppy Whipped!!!
We have a Blue Heeler/Black Lab cross :)

I don't know how Jake would be with chickens, but he sure likes mourning doves LOL. I did teach him from a young age not to herd and nip heels b/c I run a daycare and he was doing it to the little kids :D I just made sure I had control of him, and would give a sharp "NO!" when he started. He needs to be kept busy, and I found that playing fetch with him for the two hours I was outside with the kids kept him from negative behaviour.

I think fencing them off from each other would be a good start though :)

bridey_01

Kelpiefied
My first dog was a blue heeler, and I've had many over the years. They are EVERYWHERE in Australia, almost like Labs are in America. They can live happily in suburban households, provided they have plenty of excercise and alot of mental stimulation. As for the chicken thing, well, I had an aviary of budgies that my cattles knew they weren't allowed to herd, and they didn't. I started as puppies, I can't imagine how hard it would be if you left the training too late!

Members online

No members online now.