Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 12-23-2012, 11:54 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by golden&hovawart View Post
OK GIRL,you are NOT playing FAIR!
Yr boy is adorable and love his focus,on you.
They excel in dog sport and are great little watchdogs.
Is he a face rase?.
They are suppose to be calmer than the rough coated ones:imagine that,lol!.
Thanks! He's such an awesome dog. He's more guardy than I expected, that guardyness bothers me at all. He's definitely is the most natural agility dog I have ever had or even seen. He taught himself to do the full sized teeter, on his own as a young puppy. Because "Wow! It moves! This is so much fun!".

He was a face rase as a puppy but now he's what people here call a Demi - he's got some hair on his face and a "demi-long" coat. He's also a bit bigger than I expected, 18" and about 30lbs. I say that hopefully LOL we'll see when he gets measured for agility.
Old 12-25-2012, 06:11 AM
Top Dog

Actually,males should be,around that height.
I like them, on the tall side.
People in the States want them,smaller cos cuter.
Both my girls were 17in & 17,5 in for 11/12kgs and both boys were 18 & 18,5 in for 14/15kgs.
All 4 were rough-coated and excellent watchdogs.Better than any other breeds,I've had cos they are always,on the move.
Old 12-25-2012, 10:11 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Actually,males should be,around that height.
I like them, on the tall side.
People in the States want them,smaller cos cuter.
The FCI and AKC standard are fairly close in terms of size. AKC does allow an inch less 15 1/2 for males vs. FCI's 16 1/2 for males. FCI allows a bit taller for males but not much - 18.8" vs AKC's 18". However the FCI standard allows about an inch leeway either way, and AKC only 1/2", which makes the standard fairly close. It's even closer on the low end of the standard for bitches. AKC is 15" (15.5" for smooth faces) and FCI is 15.7". Up to 18" for both but the AKC standard allows up to 20 1/2" for smooth faced bitches and 21" for smooth faced males.

So the AKC standard allows for a much taller dog in some circumstances. It does allow for a bit smaller of a dog too. Keep in mind that breed is rare in the US, so allowing a bit more variation in the standard is probably a good thing. I have been around quite a good number of PyrSheps over the years and there's a big size range in the US (have been to their National several times), even within dogs from the same breeder. I don't think anyone here is breeding for undersized dogs because most is not all of the US breeders show in conformation. But there certainly are some undersized PyrSheps here and some oversized ones. I like a breed with a good bit of size variation. It allows for people to have their preferences and for more dogs to be considered worthy of being bred. Groenendeal in the US have a HUGE size range the minimum for bitches is 20 1/2" and the maximum for males is 27 1/2". Some people want to increase the minimum size now but I really hope that doesn't happen.

Quote:
Both my girls were 17in & 17,5 in for 11/12kgs and both boys were 18 & 18,5 in for 14/15kgs.
All 4 were rough-coated and excellent watchdogs.Better than any other breeds,I've had cos they are always,on the move.
Your boys were pretty much exactly Savvy's size

Savvy's dad is a French import actually: http://www.pyrs.net/dogpsclipper.html

And his mom is a wild looking SF: http://www.pyrs.net/dogpspippa.html

No doubt they are always on the move...and always listening! Savvy likes to perch on the highest thing he can find in the yard (the table on the deck), keep a look out over all the surrounding yards and listen for noises.

These are some photos I took at the US PyrShep National this year: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...3490849&type=3
Old 12-25-2012, 11:12 AM
Top Dog

Default Pixs!.

OK girl,pixs are not fair game and I'm really starting to long,for another one!.
I so miss their mischief and undevoted love!.
BTW,I wasn't talking about yr boy but the PyrShep,i've met in the States that were smaller and when I talked to some breeder,they did mention that they were,often,smaller and that 18in,was considered tall.
Here are a couple of photos:
Top left,you have my 1st PyrShep called Croquie.
The others are Daisy & Ego!.

Daisy & Ego:

Cute Daisy:

La Palissade(1m80/6ft)
Old 12-25-2012, 07:05 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
OK girl,pixs are not fair game and I'm really starting to long,for another one!.
I so miss their mischief and undevoted love!.
LOL You know you want one! There's not any other breed quite like them I don't think

Quote:
BTW,I wasn't talking about yr boy but the PyrShep,i've met in the States that were smaller and when I talked to some breeder,they did mention that they were,often,smaller and that 18in,was considered tall.
18" is the top of the standard for RFs here. The biggest PyrShep I have seen is I think 22" tall :O

Love your photos, especially the dog going over the wall! Savvy is very good at that too...I had to build my fence up to keep him in.
Old 12-25-2012, 10:29 PM
Top Dog

BTW,2 PyrSheps are a lot easier!.Promise!.
You should try!.