Foxes again...

maxfox426

My dog tickles my soul
I know, I know... All I draw are foxes. LOL!

But, the fact of the matter is, I'm DRAWING again. I have a new character that has inspired me and everything. So I kinda wanted to share the short progression I have going right now.

I started out playing with my tablet about a week ago and came up with this cute little thing.

Shortly afterwards, using the same outline, I recolored several different versions and came up with this.

And I like it. A lot.

So much so, that a few days later, I got frustrated with doodling on the tablet and got out a real paper sketchpad and colored pencils to mess around. This is what came out.

Today I've been back on the tablet. I decided to stop just doodling around and actually MAKE something.

This is where I've gotten so far.

To be honest, I'm still a little embarrassed to share it. I know the character is a little odd. At the same time, I'm proud of it. I'm just happy to finally feel creative again. It's been quite a few years.

We'll see what happens. :)

maxfox426

My dog tickles my soul
Uniquely coloured fantasy canids? You're speaking my language! :)

Love them!
Thanks! Apparently I just needed a few bright colors to liven my imagination back up. :D

Absolutely love him!

What's his story?
Thank you!

As for a story... don't really have one for him/her/it yet. I'm hoping that comes along as I continue to progress on the bottom piece.

Unless you mean the story of how I came up with it. In that case, I was annoyed with myself for only ever drawing red foxes, so I colored a red fox as a blue tang. LOL

As for a story... don't really have one for him/her/it yet. I'm hoping that comes along as I continue to progress on the bottom piece.

Unless you mean the story of how I came up with it. In that case, I was annoyed with myself for only ever drawing red foxes, so I colored a red fox as a blue tang. LOL
Remember this song? :)

So he said: "Once there was a boy
Who woke up with blue hair
To him it was a joy
Until he ran out into warm air -
He thought of how his friends would come to see;
And would they laugh, or had he got some strange disease?"

maxfox426

My dog tickles my soul

maxfox426

My dog tickles my soul
Kinda bummed right now. Just realized I was using my pencil tool instead of the brush tool... so the lines are kind of rough looking and I have no idea how to fix it without starting over. *le sigh*

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
tell yourself what I always tell myself ..second time is always better. and it's true at least for me. I really like your foxes.

maxfox426

My dog tickles my soul
I really am terrified to start over. I got all the placement, shapes, movement, etc. where I wanted it. I just don't like the harsh edges to the lines now that I know there was a better tool for it. :(

Romy

Taxiderpy
They're beautiful!

Are you using photoshop or another program? You can set the opacity of the layer with your original lineart to 50%, make a new layer, and then trace over it with the brush tool.

maxfox426

My dog tickles my soul
They're beautiful!

Are you using photoshop or another program? You can set the opacity of the layer with your original lineart to 50%, make a new layer, and then trace over it with the brush tool.
Ohhhh Romy, THANK YOU! I had tried tracing over my lines with the correct tool, but I didn't know you can change the opacity of a layer after it was drawn so it was just muddling things up. I started last night just to draw the lineart from scratch using my original sketch base, and I was pretty much in tears by the time I finally gave up.

Hopefully this is much less stressful. Thank you. :)

Romy

Taxiderpy
Ohhhh Romy, THANK YOU! I had tried tracing over my lines with the correct tool, but I didn't know you can change the opacity of a layer after it was drawn so it was just muddling things up. I started last night just to draw the lineart from scratch using my original sketch base, and I was pretty much in tears by the time I finally gave up.

Hopefully this is much less stressful. Thank you. :)
Yay! I'm glad it helped. I'm a total photoshop newb so have been watching a bunch of tutorials on youtube to learn the different tools.

And oh man. This one is amazing. I watched it and it was like... mind<--blown

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9NDdQBZ8PU&feature=channel&list=UL

It's a series of six videos that starts with lineart and goes to amazing color. Like whoa. And as a bonus the dude has a really mellow voice, it's like listening to a smooth jazz station.

maxfox426

My dog tickles my soul
Yay! I'm glad it helped. I'm a total photoshop newb so have been watching a bunch of tutorials on youtube to learn the different tools.

And oh man. This one is amazing. I watched it and it was like... mind<--blown

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9NDdQBZ8PU&feature=channel&list=UL

It's a series of six videos that starts with lineart and goes to amazing color. Like whoa. And as a bonus the dude has a really mellow voice, it's like listening to a smooth jazz station.
Thanks for the tutorial link! Once you suggested changing the layer opacities, I still had to dig for help on how to do that. I had looked and looked and until you said something, I thought that it just wasn't possible after it was drawn (which seemed stupid, but I couldn't figure it out!)

I actually just finished doing just that, changing the lineart opacity and tracing new lineart with the brush tool. I managed to fix some things, but other just... aren't right. Mostly the legs and feet are kinda wonky now. I've been erasing and redrawing over and over, but I think I just need a break for the night now.

I'll share the progress again once I've finally fixed these lines.

Again, THANK YOU for the help. I was really in despair over it before you posted.

maxfox426

My dog tickles my soul
It took me a week and one do-over, but it's finished. While there are things I could tweak, I have reached the point where I don't think any more nitpicking is going to help it.

I learned three new techniques, and forced myself to do some things that I didn't think I could anymore. All in all, I am very pleased.

Sorry it's a little big...

Oh... and her name is Calliope. :)

Romy

Taxiderpy
I love it! The time you put into learning new techniques and rendering this piece really shows. :) Don't worry so much about time when you're learning. Once you have the techniques down future pieces will go a lot faster.

Aquafox is rad. She needs her own clothing line or something. :D

maxfox426

My dog tickles my soul
I love it! The time you put into learning new techniques and rendering this piece really shows. :) Don't worry so much about time when you're learning. Once you have the techniques down future pieces will go a lot faster.

Aquafox is rad. She needs her own clothing line or something. :D
Thank you. :)

I wasn't really concerned about time. I was just stating how long it took. lol. In a way, I guess I am glad it took a while, because it means that I was into it, rather than spending an hour, getting frustrated, and giving up. (Which is what has been happening the last... several years.)

And I don't know about a clothing line, but I do have an idea for a buddy for her. :D

Members online