Stop weeing

Iggy

Dudley, my staffy, wont stop weeing. He lives in my bedroom and whenever I come home he's left me a lovely present...solid and liquid usually. Lovely. He's about 11 months old and I'm pretty sure he know sthat he's not allowed to do it inside. He'll never do it when I'm around, but as soon as leave him he's at it again. He was abandoned and I was thinking maybe it's something to do with how he was treated as a baby. I've realy tried everything and nothing has worked. Can anyone help

This is unusual. Dogs don't typically want to soil their own areas. First, has he been neutered yet? That will help with the urge to mark his territory. Next, clean the flooring thoroughly with an odor removing agent; I'd suggest one specifically for pet odors. Then, you'll need to restrict his water and food intake before and during the time you're away. You might even try checking into one of those self feeders that will release a specific amount of food at a set time and let him eat 10 or 15 minutes before you normally get home.

Someone here (sorry, I wish I could remember who it was so I could give them the proper credit!) also had a wonderful suggestion for this problem. Get angry at the "present." Scold it, yell at it, and make sure your dog sees you doing it. Give him the impression that you intensely dislike the stuff.

You might have to consider confining him to a smaller area, like the bathroom, when you are gone since that decreases his area and should deter him some.

And, perhaps most importantly, praise him like mad when he does his business outside. Make it a big deal so he'll want to hold it and get the positive attention for going where he's supposed to go.

Iggy

I do ALL of that, apart from the getting angry at a poo bit. He hasn't been neutered but I don't think that's the problem cos when he goes, HE GOES, and I thought that when dogs mark their territory, they do so with a little squirt on something. This is a big puddle and his whole breakfast.

Millie

How long does he have to wait for you to come home? Is it a 8 hour day? Does he do it even if you leave him alone for a couple of hours?

Iggy

I could leave him for half an hour and there will be a wee waiting for me, or I could leave him the whole day and sometimes there'll be nothing. I work from home so I'm around a lot of the time.

Hmmm. From that last post, it sounds like he may be doing it to get your attention.

Try this, when he does it, show it to him, then - without making a fuss - just tell him it was bad in a stern voice and put him in a separate room (like the bathroom or a laundry room that's relatively safe) and leave him there for awhile. There's nothing worse than banishment.

Maybe when he gets the idea that this kind of behaviour isn't going to get him any attention at all he'll stop.

Iggy

I'll try it. The only thing is he will never do it when I'm around so I don't find it till a lot later.

Millie

I was thinking if he is weeing in the house to check for a urinary infection,but that wouldn't give us a reason for the solids. He is doing both right?

Iggy

My mistake. He's gone done it again. The thing I don't understand is that he can do about 6 or 7 poos a day (most of them inside) and not eat anywhere near how much comes out. He definately hasn't found another source of food.

That's incredible! At least you know what he's full of . . . ;)

What kind of food is he eating? He could conceivably have the doggie equivalent of a mild case of irritable bowel syndrome.

Here's another thought; have you had him checked for worms lately?

And how does he act when you find his "gifts?"

Iggy

He's ok for worms. I give him a bowl full of dried food twice a day after his two walks. When he knows that I've seen it he looks really guilty, and I have to drag him over to it to show him.

What kind of dried food is it. That's important.

That's good that he knows he's done something you don't like - a step in the right direction.

You might also find it helpful to feed him about 30 or 40 minutes before you exercise him. By all means, take him out to go to the bathroom first if he needs to go, but by feeding him that long before he goes for his walk it will give it time to stimulate his system, but let him have a short nap or rest period immediately after his food. That's important to help avoid bloat.

Iggy

It's a complete dry food called chappie. He's already getting better, it's amazing! I just want him to be able to run around the whole house when I'm out without making a mess. He'll be so much happier.

That's a new one on me. Check the ingredients for the percentage of fiber. Dogs' systems aren't like ours as far as fiber requirements; big amounts of fiber are unnecessary for them.

I am so glad it's getting better. Sometimes it just takes more time and concentration. Bimmer and Buffy needed no house training at all - seriously. Never once. Never a single accident. It was unreal. Shiva was another matter entirely, and consequently Kharma was a little more difficult.

Iggy

Oh dear, he's still doing it and now he's starting to hide from me when I get home. I changed the food I was giving him but it didn't make a difference. I think I'll take him to get checked out at the vet.

I think the person that suggested getting angry at the poo was me when my screen name was "Apollonaro"
And it works!
it is doing WONDERS With luca. I say "Look at this... What an ugly stinky poo" and then i pick it up and im like "Bad poo.... Make a mess of everything" Then i cast him a curious notice nad he's staring at me like i've lost my mind nad im like "Isn't that a BAD POO luca? It's Nasty and smelly and i wish it would go away" Or if he pees, i'll Hit the pee with the paper towel and punisht he pee HAHAHAHHHAHA Some people think i might have medical problems but it works, truly it does...

Members online

No members online now.