Who is alpha??

We have 3 big dogs, but this problem only applies to two of them. We got Dougall a border collie/rotti cross almost 9 years ago. He quickly took top spot over our other dog. About 6 years ago we got Licore (pronounced Licker) a malamute/shep cross. Both had been rescued when we got them.
Dougall was about 1 1/2 years old when we got him and Licore was 9 months when we got him. The problem is that they still fight for top spot. This happens over food and like last night during our walk they saw another dog and started fighting with each other. I am sure the fight was over who was going to "take on" the new dog! Of course they are on leads! They don't fight a lot, but every three months or so or like last night they have a go at one another. No one gets hurt except me yelling at them to stop. I wish they would get along better and not go through this. Any suggestions please!! Thank you. LL

bogolove

Just out of curiousity is the third one a girl? Or another boy? I know that doesn't always have something to do with it, but it could be the case. Two boys trying to be the top boy. I took Brady over to a friend's house a few weeks ago and she has a boy dog and a girl dog. The girl was fine almost immediately. We thought the boy was too. But thne Brady started barking almost violently at him and that is weird b/c Brady loves everyone and every animal. Well, when Brady was not looking, nor anyone else, I saw the male (Mason) snarl his lip back and bite Brady right on the nose twice, and Brady just got tired of being pushed around so he let him have it. Maybe one of your dogs is really pushing the other's buttons. I don't really know how you fix the problem, maybe one of the other members who have been through this can help you with that.

Okay, time for my famous (or infamous) talking method. Lay down the law to them. Make them sit down and listen to you, paying attention to you, eyes front, no nonsense. Everyone is going to get along in this home. No exceptions. Period. There will be no more fighting.

They'll try it a time or two, repeat the lecture and make them lay down together and don't let them move until they've made up. If you're the boss, that should take care of it. They're smart and they understand a lot more than they're typically given credit for.

All of my dogs are boys. It is just so embarrassing that they will sometimes see another dog and yet will fight each other. Yikes! I have no problem with the lecture mode. I do it often about things! What can I do when we are out on the street and they go at it? It usually happens so fast.... I am the boss, no question that they will listen to me and I can stop the fighting with my voice, but how to stop it before it happens! Thanks LL

Once they start learning that "Mama don't 'llow that kinda stuff" all it should take from you is a quiet reminder to behave if they start to act restless.

Just jerk them up a few times and lecture them right there on the street. A few non-dog people will look at you like you've lost your mind, but hey, do we care what non-dog people think?

And dogs just hate to be embarrassed in front of other dogs. ;)

Members online

No members online now.