Muzzles: Wire vs Plastic?

AgilityPup

Agility freak!
For those of you who use, or have ever used a basket muzzle for a dog, do you prefer a plastic one over a metal/wire one, or the other way around?

Simi uses a muzzle around people right now, just to prevent any fear bites caused by people being stupid and trying to pat her even when she's scared. She has a plastic one now, but I am finding that it's not holding up well.

We also let her use her muzzle around other dogs and in that time, we allow her to play with her jolly egg, so she pushes that around with it and I think that has caused some of the plastic bars, so now I am researching some about metal/wire basket muzzles... So looking for opinions! :)

TahlzK

http://leerburg.com/1395.htm

Have you ever used these? I love this muzzle. I have one for my fearful girl. They are durable and seem to work well and sit comfortably. I know they aren't what you were looking at them but I love them. I haven't tried a metal one and I hated the plastic one.

May I ask why she's around other dogs if she needs to be muzzled?

AgilityPup

Agility freak!
http://leerburg.com/1395.htm

Have you ever used these? I love this muzzle. I have one for my fearful girl. They are durable and seem to work well and sit comfortably. I know they aren't what you were looking at them but I love them. I haven't tried a metal one and I hated the plastic one.

May I ask why she's around other dogs if she needs to be muzzled?
It's mostly as a safety measure. She has had some issues with smaller dogs at times and so we're trying to make things easier in the living situation here and there where she can be out with them. She never takes a dive at them or anything, we just do it to be safe, and she enjoys playing with her egg, so in any situation where I need a toy reward and she's muzzled (this can happen when she's taken out and about) I use the egg and her muzzle.

Are they a plastic or a metal? That you linked? I like the looks of how they fit a lot!

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
I am a huge fan of the Baskervilles as well, and as soon as Frodo's needs to be replaced I will be getting him one.

Saeleofu

I have a plastic one, but it doesn't get much use. I really only have it so I can accustom the dogs to the muzzle in case they ever should need one. Once I quit the vet clinic and change vets, Gavroche will likely be muzzled for vet visits as a precaution, so I want him comfortable in a muzzle. That said, both dogs shove their face in the muzzle because it means SQUEEZE CHEESE!

Mine are cheapo ones from Jeffers Pet (cheapest ones they had). If I had a dog that actually NEEDED one I'd choose a much higher quality one and treat it as a much more important investment. I would think the metal ones would get hot really fast in the sun, and cold really fast when it's cold?

crazedACD

Another Baskerville fan here. The spacing is big enough to comfortably shove cookies into too.

If you are concerned about the wires, maybe a solid leather type muzzle? I've never used one of those though.

Panzerotti

I've heard great things about the Baskerville muzzles as well and would totally use one.

I bought one of these about 7 years ago for Solo and he has worn it every day since. Plus they come in fun colours. http://www.greyhoundsonly.com/greyhounds-only-store/accessories/235-greyhound-muzzle

ETA: He doesn't wear it every day, all day, only when he is in the general public. We live in an apartment building and he can't be trusted not to nom other people's dogs if they get in his face.

FG167

Kastle has a Jafco plastic and a wire basket. I like the wire basket because he can't get it off and it provides more air flow. I have pictures with it on him I can post later if you want to see it. I started with a plastic wire basket from Petco or wherever and he could fit his foot in the base because it was so wide. It had to be that wide to accommodate the length of his snout.

AgilityPup

Agility freak!
I am liking the looks of the Baskerville muzzles a LOT! I like the way they fit and the spacing, like was mentioned, would be good for putting treats in. I am just wondering how they'd hold up to when she pushes a jolly egg around with a muzzle on? I want to be sure that whatever I get will last, and I don't know how well a plastic one at all will hold up to the pressure.

I am not interested in the solid leather ones, honestly. Too little air flow, plus, I want to be able to see my dogs lips to see if she's showing signs that she needs to be removed from the situation, etc..

ETA: Unless maybe I bought a leather one like this: http://leerburg.com/1058.htm That might be my best bet for when she's using the jolly ball, actually...

Just wondering about the Baskerville ones how hard they'd be to size a dog for, since I'd have to order online?

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
Although Chloe has used her Baskerville muzzle all of one time, I really liked it. And I think it would stand up to a lot of wear and tear, too. Hers, anyway, almost feels more like rubber than plastic. Very tough and durable.

I really like the Baskervilles, but my favourite are leather basket muzzles. I had an Orlo for one foster dog and absolutely loved it.

Not my photo...

That being said, they are hard to find. I believe they're only made when ordered in bulk.

Keechak

Aussie Obssessed
My guys have a baskerville muzzle that they are all trained to wear "just in case", I originally bought it for Hawkeye tho as part of his gear for SAR work.

and ya it's a hard rubbery kind of plastic, it's moderately bendable. Hawkeye wears a size 3, he's about as large as a size 3 will fit, the same muzzle also fits Lark and Kechara but they are about the smallest dogs it will fit.

I have several of the exact one you have now and that's all I use, and yes I have that same issue with some of them, she found out how to stick her teeth through the bars to grab her ball/toys and carry them through the muzzle which has broken out a side bar on a couple of them. She is right now in hers daily.

IMO, I will NEVER waste money on another leather muzzle again! EVER! They STINK when played in, BADLY, are a PITA to keep clean if you let them play in them, heck even if they just drink through it, and they collapse! I would never trust one that is like the one you posted for a fear biter. I still have the one I bought for Enda and put it away after getting the plastic ones and if I find where it went I'm tossing it, it's beyond gross and useless.
ETA: Forgot! She also injured her nose pretty bad on a rivet on the leather one which was the LAST straw! She had a bald spot on her nose for months, she ended up at 3 different shows with that bald spot, did not make me happy.

I would suggest trying the Baskerville, I've only seen one bad review for it, from Fleetwoods owner, she made a thread here about it, he kept getting his nose through the wide bars at the bottom of it.

SarahHound

The hounds come with a plastic basket type muzzle. They've only worn them for a few days until I get to know them and their personality, but they worked well for us.

Members online

No members online now.