Dad shoots laptop because of FB post

I am planning on each of my children having their own computers when they are older. IF we start having issues than we will rethink and change things around a bit.

CaliTerp07

I'm a little baffled by everyone saying "I won't let my teenager have a computer in their bed room blah blah . . . " even if the hypothetical kid hasn't done anything wrong. So you want a 15-18 year to write papers in the living room? Ok, your kid, your call. Sounds like a strange thing to me if you can afford a second computer.
We had a computer room in my house. The four of us shared the computer to get work done. When my dad knew he was going to be doing a ton of "work" work over the weekend, he'd bring home his work computer. In general, it worked. My parents were very anti-technology in the bedroom. No phone, no tv, no computer.

I don't know how I'll handle it if I ever end up with kids. I like the idea of multiple computers, but I also don't like they idea of them holing up in their rooms and never coming out.

skittledoo

Crazy naked dog lady
Most people I know have their family computers in an office room which is way less distracting than being in the livingroom. I don't like the idea of my kids staying in their rooms all the time set up in front of a tv, computer or video game when they could be out doing sports or another activity they enjoy and socializing with people face to face. A lot of kids that I see that are constantly surrounding themselves with all things tech end up having poor face to face social skills.. but that's just my observation. That is one of the main reasons my kids will not have computers to take into their rooms and if they have any video.games etc there will be time limits on how long they can play them etc. Homework that requires a computer will be done on a family computer in an office room. If they want to do Facebook or whatever is the thing at the time then that's fine with me as long as I feel its appropriate for their age and again that will be limited as far as how often they are online doing so.

sparks19

I'd rather be at Disney
Well I'm planning to have a computer for Hannah in the "classroom". maybe it will be a laptop because that would be easy to cart around. I'd kind of like a laptop myself but right now it's definitely not a need. Between my phone and our desktop I don't have a NEED for a laptop lol but one day I'll get one for myself. Hannah and I will probably share a laptop lol. They just aren't cheap so everyone having their own doesn't seem like the best choice (and it's something that will need to be replaced frequently enough that replacement times 3 isn't really appealing lol)

I grew up with a TV in my room. I liiiived in my room lol. but I never did my homework in my room. lol not once. I don't know why but the last thing I wanted to do while hanging around in my room was homework. It just never occurred to me to do homework anywhere other than the kitchen table... of course half the time I didn't do homework there either lol.

Right now the only laptop is Brians work computer and then we have a desk top. Then again in our little house you are never really "out of the way" it seems lol. It's cozy

Teens kind of naturally gravitate to their rooms, part of the age. I didnt have a tv but spent almost all my time in there reading OR I was vegged out in the family room watching but was still not really interacting with the family. I went out plenty too....but as an introvert, I need a lot of alone time to recharge and as a teen it was even more pronounced. If my mom had tried to force me to "be out" more, it couldve been really bad.

Lilavati

Arbitrary and Capricious
. Then again in our little house you are never really "out of the way" it seems lol. It's cozy
Our house too . . .the only place a kid would be out of the way is in his or her own room . . . unless they were in MY office, and that would not be an option. But then I do a lot of work from home, so a shared office room just seems strange . . .

sparks19

I'd rather be at Disney
Hannah has no desire yet to hang out in her room. she'd much rather hang out in my room LOL. She has all kinds of stuff to do in there but she'll actually take toys and such out of her room and take them into my room lol.

I know that won't always be the case. I don't care if kids hang out in their room but I just don't think every kid needs their own little laptop for their room.

Like I said, Hannah and I will probably end up sharing a laptop one of these days. but I don't feel that she needs her very own. I don't have a problem with doing homework in her room but I just don't feel at this time that having her own laptop is a nessecity. Especially not with the cost of them.

Huh, I don't see the big deal over doing homework in a common area. But then, I don't think this girl has been ruined for life over this one incident, either.

I didnt have a computer in my room for school....BUT the family computer was in my mom;s bedroom. I am a night owl so in college it kind of sucked, I usually write papers and stuff late. In highschool we still did a lot of handwritten reports, but in college, it did become an issue. Luckily, my mom never used it so it was often free.

I am someone who can write papers/study/research in the middle of everything, so for me it would be ok. MY brother however needed privacy and quiet to do these things.

Ha, I still remember my first time ON the internet. I was a junior in highschool I believe, we still didnt have it at home. My science class used it a lot and the teacher just assumed everyone knew how to use it. I get to class and she is like here is the address and follow the directions from there...I was so lost lol...but I did figure it out.

Ahhh, the good ol days of black and green screens

sparks19

I'd rather be at Disney
funny how it varies.

I'm only 30 years old but we never had a computer of any kind until I was almost through highschool lol and then we didn't have internet until after I was 18 and it was the dial up with the loud "REEEEEEEEE EEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRIIIIIIIIIIII" sound whenever you logged on and you couldn't stay on long because it tied up the phone line lol

Kat09Tails

*Now with Snark*
Ahhh, the good ol days of black and green screens
Black and Green... I remember those in elementary school. Green screen oregon trail. Good times.

We had the Mac OS 1 until 1996 as our "normal" computer. The darn thing still worked til the day we finally decided to be rid of it. The real PITA was the track feed printer.

funny how it varies.

I'm only 30 years old but we never had a computer of any kind until I was almost through highschool lol and then we didn't have internet until after I was 18 and it was the dial up with the loud "REEEEEEEEE EEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRIIIIIIIIIIII" sound whenever you logged on and you couldn't stay on long because it tied up the phone line lol
I so remember that noise...and my brother and I did fight over that. I wanted to use the phone or at least have it available for calls, he liked being online.

Black and Green... I remember those in elementary school. Green screen oregon trail. Good times.

I REALLY miss that Oregon Trail....and all the boy's obligatory gravestone inscription

"Here lies Dick, he was a long one" :lol-sign:

Lilavati

Arbitrary and Capricious
funny how it varies.

I had a computer early because the school recommended it (I think they thought I might turn into a programmer) and because my handwriting was so horrific they wanted me to learn how to type.

But I didn't have internet until I went to college.

sparks19

I'd rather be at Disney
I remember one time in highschool we didn't even have a home phone for over a year. My brother ran up a HUGE phone bill and it got cut off and my dad couldn't pay it all at once and then once it was paid he didn't hook it back up for the longest time. I remember going down the street to the payphone to call my friends lol in the winter. FUN... and the phone was outside

But at least I didn't have to walk uphill both ways in the driving snow :rofl1:

Dizzy

Sit! Good dog.
Why do you only try a consequence once? When a kid doesn't turn in their homework, they stay after school. The next day they don't magically have their homework because they've learned their lesson and are walking a straight line now. Rather, they end up staying after school for weeks on end until they finally realize they'd rather have their afternoons back.

When a toddler throws a temper tantrum, they sit in the naughty spot for 3 minutes. Then they throw another tantrum--you don't say, "Oh, guess the naughty spot didn't work", and try something more drastic. Rather, you maintain consistency and continue for a period of time until you see improvements.

When your dog is constantly barking at people on walks, you don't decide that clicker training is faulty and reach for the shock collar--you keep at it until you start making progress.

Why is this girl different than all those examples? Why is grounding or taking away a phone only worth trying once?

As for the job thing, I have no idea where this family is from, but around here it's near impossible to get a job before 17 or 18. Even the baggers in the grocery store are college kids.

And even if shooting a computer and humiliating your daughter online does stop her from writing rude things online, it's not going to stop her from whining to her friends about her parents. It's not going to make her love her father more for helping her better learn to deal with challenges. It's not going to make her a stronger young adult who is better able to handle things when she's frustrated. I don't see a benefit to it other than she can no longer type on the computer. (How many times do we preach "don't hit the dog when it growls, or one day it will snap? This girl's just been "hit" for "growling"...will she one day "snap"?)
Innit.

ACooper

Why do you only try a consequence once? When a kid doesn't turn in their homework, they stay after school. The next day they don't magically have their homework because they've learned their lesson and are walking a straight line now. Rather, they end up staying after school for weeks on end until they finally realize they'd rather have their afternoons back.

When a toddler throws a temper tantrum, they sit in the naughty spot for 3 minutes. Then they throw another tantrum--you don't say, "Oh, guess the naughty spot didn't work", and try something more drastic. Rather, you maintain consistency and continue for a period of time until you see improvements.

When your dog is constantly barking at people on walks, you don't decide that clicker training is faulty and reach for the shock collar--you keep at it until you start making progress.

Why is this girl different than all those examples? Why is grounding or taking away a phone only worth trying once?

As for the job thing, I have no idea where this family is from, but around here it's near impossible to get a job before 17 or 18. Even the baggers in the grocery store are college kids.

And even if shooting a computer and humiliating your daughter online does stop her from writing rude things online, it's not going to stop her from whining to her friends about her parents. It's not going to make her love her father more for helping her better learn to deal with challenges. It's not going to make her a stronger young adult who is better able to handle things when she's frustrated. I don't see a benefit to it other than she can no longer type on the computer. (How many times do we preach "don't hit the dog when it growls, or one day it will snap? This girl's just been "hit" for "growling"...will she one day "snap"?)
Agreed.

My first thought upon seeing that video was "There's a grown man having a tantrum.......what is THAT teaching his daughter?"

I'm sure those words hurt their (mom and dad's) feelings terribly, but responding the way he did was just as (or more) immature as what the daughter wrote.

And let me say that EVERYONE needs to vent........EVERYONE. I know I griped about my parents to friends at school, and they griped about theirs to me. If my mom and dad had heard some of it, it would have really hurt their feelings but that was how I felt at the time. It was from an immature point of view because.........well, I WAS immature at the time! I didn't keep a diary/journal like some people do, I just vented when necessary. Looking back on it, I am so thankful I didn't have internet at that age, I'm pretty sure I would have gotten myself in trouble and/or hurt my mom's feelings much the same way.

sparks19

I'd rather be at Disney
Best way to teach a lesson? no probably not

but how does everyone know this didn't teach her anything?

maybe it taught her exactly how it feels to have someone you love rant about you like that. I wish more people were aware of how words about their loved ones can really hurt them. I see people ranting on facebook about their spouses all the time and I just can't understand how someone could talk that way about someone they LOVE. but I didn't always feel that way... I was one of those people that talked bad about my Significant others (not my current husband... I mean boyfriends when I was younger) and I could not for the life of me understand why they cared what I said to my friends in private. I was young, stupid and self absorbed ... like most teens lol. It wasn't until one of my boyfriends turned around and did the same thing to me that I really realized just how much hurt words can cause. did it hurt my feelings to have that happen? sure did but that doesn't mean I didn't learn a very valuable lesson from it.

Again not the best approach but that doesn't mean there wasn't anything learned during this.

and not all lessons are learned in the moment... sometimes they take a little while to set in. Sometimes the lesson can't be learned until the anger subsides but the lesson was still there.

sparks19

I'd rather be at Disney
Agreed.

My first thought upon seeing that video was "There's a grown man having a tantrum.......what is THAT teaching his daughter?"

I'm sure those words hurt their (mom and dad's) feelings terribly, but responding the way he did was just as (or more) immature as what the daughter wrote.

And let me say that EVERYONE needs to vent........EVERYONE. I know I griped about my parents to friends at school, and they griped about theirs to me. If my mom and dad had heard some of it, it would have really hurt their feelings but that was how I felt at the time. It was from an immature point of view because.........well, I WAS immature at the time! I didn't keep a diary/journal like some people do, I just vented when necessary. Looking back on it, I am so thankful I didn't have internet at that age, I'm pretty sure I would have gotten myself in trouble and/or hurt my mom's feelings much the same way.
right... everyone needs to vent. that's what my best friend was for and what my diary was for and yes those words would have hurt my moms feelings... but that is VERY different than posting it in public view for all to see. When I was angry at my parents I didn't take out an ad in the paper or hang a big sign in front of my house so all my friends, neighbors and everyone else could see it.
that's essentially what you are doing when you post it on facebook

The dads response was not ideal and I'm sure it was done in pure frustration and in a weak moment.. we all have them. Everyone loses their cool sometimes. But I still think it is possible that a very valuable lesson could have come from this and it's not "daddy is a big meanie".

Members online

No members online now.