Should I be worried...?

~Tucker&Me~

Today Tucker attacked a dog :(.

Let me give a little history...

There isn't much to talk about. LOL. He has NEVER been dog aggressive, or even shown a hint of it.

Ever since he was given the A'Okay from the vet, he has been going to the local dog park, and played nicely with dogs of all shapes and sizes. Infact, one of his best buds is an intact male Jack Russell up the street. He is now 3, and I have found in the last couple months that he has been mounting a lot more (SO annoying!).

About two weeks ago, while at the barn at an agility lesson, a BC continually beelined for Tuck and would mount him. Tucker growled for the first time EVER at another dog. I wasn't too perturbed, as I figured this was normal behaviour, considering the other dog was being rude. Anyhow, I corrected him (told him off a bit, nothing major) as I didn't want him to think it was okay to go around growling at other dogs.

Tonight, he was in a different class then usual, and the other dog was a smooth haired fox terrier. He was intact as well. The first time he came by for a sniff, andf I had my arm wrapped around Tucker's neck, so I felt when a small growl began. Immediately, I told him off, as the dog had sniffed Tucker's tail, and hadn't even come that close.

The second time, Tucker growled again. Again, the dog did not provoke him in any way (that I could see). He just tried to sniff him. Tucker was facing towards me and could barely even see him.

The third time, Tucker turned round, and snarled.He tried to bite him, but I pulled him back.

I put Tucker into a down, and told him off sternly.

Did I do the right thing? I am so confused! I've never had to deal with this before. I understand that some dogs don't get along, but Tucker could only see this dog out of the corner of his eye! He barely even saw him! How could he tell if he liked him or not?!

Should I be worried, or is this normal?

Thanks again!

~Tucker

silverpawz

No Sugar Added
Why are dogs allowed to visit with each other in class? This is not a good practice in my opinion. Classes should be structured and not a social call unless they specifically state they'll have free play time.

About two weeks ago, while at the barn at an agility lesson, a BC continually beelined for Tuck and would mount him. Tucker growled for the first time EVER at another dog. I wasn't too perturbed, as I figured this was normal behaviour, considering the other dog was being rude. Anyhow, I corrected him (told him off a bit, nothing major) as I didn't want him to think it was okay to go around growling at other dogs.
Yep, the dog was being rude and Tucker had every right to tell him to back off. I wouldn't correct my dogs for this. In no way shape or form do I allow aggression just for the sake of being aggressive, but if they're being pestered by an annoying dog then I can't fault them for telling him off. It would be my own fault too for not stopping the other dog soon enough.

Tonight, he was in a different class then usual, and the other dog was a smooth haired fox terrier. He was intact as well. The first time he came by for a sniff, andf I had my arm wrapped around Tucker's neck, so I felt when a small growl began. Immediately, I told him off, as the dog had sniffed Tucker's tail, and hadn't even come that close.

The second time, Tucker growled again. Again, the dog did not provoke him in any way (that I could see). He just tried to sniff him. Tucker was facing towards me and could barely even see him.

The third time, Tucker turned round, and snarled.He tried to bite him, but I pulled him back.
This dog was in his space three times. He may not have come in from the front, but Tucker saw him, he knew he was there and he probably knew he was intact. He started with a quiet warning growl and that would have been my que to make the owner come get her dog.

He offered two good warning before turning and snapping. He's showing a lot of restraint.

You also had your arm around his neck preventing him from having a normal greeting with this new dog and that could have added to the tension. Any restraint right from the start can add to tension. This is why many dogs do better off leash with other dogs, then on. People tense up and it travels down the leash.

Is your dog intact as well? I noticed you mentioned him mounting more, is he mounting people or other dogs? Sounds like he's coming into his own and testing his boundaries, that coupled with these dogs being rude is what I bet set it off.

Miakoda

Good post, silver. I totally agree especially about why dogs are allowed to run around sniffing each other & mounting each other (which is a totally dominant behavior) during a training class.

Tucker did absolutely nothing wrong. All he was saying was "get out of my space."

Lizmo

Water Junkie
Good post Silverpawz! I agree! :)

Those dogs were in his space and he was trying to focus on you and the commands you were/are going to give him :D

Tucker showed GREAT patients with the other dogs! :) ;)

RD

Are you dead yet?
That's not an attack, that's just a correction. Even the sweetest, most tolerant dogs have their limits. I think the reason Tucker wanted that SFT away from him was because he *didn't* get to properly greet the dog, you had your arm around his neck the first time, and had him facing you the second time. You would be a little defensive if someone held you still while a stranger poked around you, right? ;)

Is this normal for your agility class, to have all the dogs loose and uncontrolled? In my class, most beginner dogs were on-leash at all times. Only the ones that had started the course-running and would stay with their handlers were allowed off the leash.

~Tucker&Me~

Thanks for posting everyone.

I see what you are saying and it makes sense :).

Silver, Tucker is neutered, yup. It is more often at the park with other dogs. He only mounted a person once (a 6 year old boy who was running around screaming, LOL) and I told him off. He hasn't mounted a person since and that was like a year and a half ago.

In my class, almost all the dogs are on leash, or sitting quietly beside their owners. It was an intermediate class, with two advanced dogs as well. All the other dogs are fine, and when it comes to there turn, are let off leash while we wait at the side. This dog just kept running over in the middle of his course :rolleyes: .

So if another dog comes over, I shouldn't be restraining him, other then being on leash? Just for reference, LOL, I wasn't actually planning on restraining him, it was just the way we were sitting :D.

~Tucker

Members online

No members online now.