Breeder etiquette/deposit question

To me non-refundable means for THAT litter at THAT time. If the breederr is the one responsible for no pup (as in failed breeding), then it is the breeder's responsibility to give it back. If the litter was born and then YOU backed out, that wouldn't be refundable. But that's not what happened here. I'd keep pushing for the deposit back and go to small claims court if it comes down to it.
this ^^

I know you've already responded to her, but I would like to add... don't get into a discussion with her about the rightness or wrongness of it. If she comes back at you refusing to refund it, just calmly repeat "As per your correspondence of mm/dd/yyyy where you clearly stated you would refund the full deposit, I expect a full refund by xxx date. Thank you."

Don't get dragged into an argument about whether it's right or wrong. She said she would refund it so she essentially has no defense, just keep referring back to her own statement.

Dizzy

Sit! Good dog.
I know you've already responded to her, but I would like to add... don't get into a discussion with her about the rightness or wrongness of it. If she comes back at you refusing to refund it, just calmly repeat "As per your correspondence of mm/dd/yyyy where you clearly stated you would refund the full deposit, I expect a full refund by xxx date. Thank you."

Don't get dragged into an argument about whether it's right or wrong. She said she would refund it so she essentially has no defense, just keep referring back to her own statement.
This. I had this with an old landlord (slighty different obviously), but I got sucked into bickering and its just not worth it. Be professional is my advice.

Kootenay

Okay, she has agreed to send me the full deposit back after realizing that she had it no where in writing that it was non-refundable (I didn't receive the standard receipt for whatever reason). Yay! Now, hopefully it actually comes this time. Thank you all for your support! I really hate this kind of thing.

I think that you should keep pushing to get it back as well, although this woman is not known for being reasonable.
Interesting. Wish I'd found this out before sending in my deposit! Live and learn, I suppose. I've mostly been quite lucky with this sort of thing.

Good news!

Though I fail to see how a receipt saying non refundable would make it so as that would be AFTER you already paid...too late to decide against it if one was uncomfortable with non-refundable

Kootenay

Good news!

Though I fail to see how a receipt saying non refundable would make it so as that would be AFTER you already paid...too late to decide against it if one was uncomfortable with non-refundable
I agree, but hey, I'm just happy this is how she's decided to let it go.

It wouldn't matter if it was "non-refundable" That breeding didn't produce any puppies and she said she was unlikely to do it again and then agreed to give it back. End of story.

Red Chrome

It wouldn't matter if it was "non-refundable" That breeding didn't produce any puppies and she said she was unlikely to do it again and then agreed to give it back. End of story.
This.

I have a non refundable deposit but if the breeding doesn't take then that's on me and they can roll the deposit to a different litter or get it back, wait for the next try of there is one. Etc.

Once you say you're refunding a deposit, just refund it IMHO.

yv0nne

Vizsla mom
That really stinks :( Why did she want a deposit before there were puppies confirmed? You'd think you would obviously get your money back if no pups ever came of it!!

Kootenay

This.

I have a non refundable deposit but if the breeding doesn't take then that's on me and they can roll the deposit to a different litter or get it back, wait for the next try of there is one. Etc.

Once you say you're refunding a deposit, just refund it IMHO.
Of course I completely agree!! But if this is the "reason" she is using to refund it, then I don't even care, as long as I get the money back.

FG167

I think that you should keep pushing to get it back as well, although this woman is not known for being reasonable.
I second this...very strongly.

Interesting. Wish I'd found this out before sending in my deposit! Live and learn, I suppose. I've mostly been quite lucky with this sort of thing.
Yeah, I found out after you had already purchased Onyx so I didn't say anything. I'm also staying far far away.

AdrianneIsabel

Glutton for Crazy
Unfortunately, this, she has a pretty ugly reputation. :( Keep pushing though, I wouldn't let her bully you. I wouldn't hesitate to burn that bridge.

My next puppy the breeder wouldn't let me put down a deposit until the pregnancy is confirmed even though I tried to jump the gun.

Kootenay

She sent the money, it is in my account, so PHEW is all I can say!!! Very relieved that it didn't have to turn ugly.

I sure wish I'd known about her reputation before getting involved, but I can say with certainty that I am SO thankful that I ended up NOT getting a puppy from her, especially since I was considering doing a co-own. Close call there. Certainly will not ever be dealing with her again.

Onyx's breeder also will not take deposits before pregnancies are confirmed. I won't ever place a deposit on an unconfirmed pregnancy again, that's for sure!

Red Chrome

Unfortunately, this, she has a pretty ugly reputation. :( Keep pushing though, I wouldn't let her bully you. I wouldn't hesitate to burn that bridge.

My next puppy the breeder wouldn't let me put down a deposit until the pregnancy is confirmed even though I tried to jump the gun.
I also will not take deposits until pregnancy is confirmed. I have a wait list, first person on the list is notified first and given first chance to place a deposit and then on down it goes. I try to be as fair as possible.

Kat09Tails

*Now with Snark*
You are absolutely owed that deposit back. I would insist on it and I might even end up in small claims court over it.

That's a bunch of BS that they didn't think they should return it.

In the end I am glad it turned out.

She sent the money, it is in my account, so PHEW is all I can say!!! Very relieved that it didn't have to turn ugly.

I sure wish I'd known about her reputation before getting involved, but I can say with certainty that I am SO thankful that I ended up NOT getting a puppy from her, especially since I was considering doing a co-own. Close call there. Certainly will not ever be dealing with her again.
That is good news all around!

Members online

No members online now.