Native American Indian Dog??

iheartsammy

ME+DOGS=CRAZY
I was reading about them on a website and fell in love with them. But the question is, are they real? If they are what they say they are then I would love to have one! but if their just some sick hoax to get money, I'm disgousted! but are they a real breed? or are they a hoax like labradoodles and 'breeds' like that?

Gempress

Walks into Mordor
From what I've read of them online, they are a hoax...err..."recreation", and an irresponsible one at that. They were basically created by BYBers. The real native american indian dogs were cross-bred to extiction hundreds of years ago. Many of the modern NAID are actually wolf hybrids being passed off as domestic dogs. As a result, many of them have severe temperament issues. If you do a search online, you'll find many people saying that they have issues with aggression, shyness, fear biting, etc., with their NAID. Check out this link:

http://www.museumofhoaxes.com/hoax/weblog/comments/148/

Sadly, it's just one of many similar sites warning people who may be taken in by the breeders' sweet words.

I must be one of the few that absolutely loves their NAID then. Una is 8 months old and has never growled or shown aggression at anything, not even our neighbors kittens (although that took a little supervision). I admit, now that my research has given me a few clues, I find that the origin of the breed is shady, but Una has been a wonderful dog. The "founding breeder" also admits that is a recreation. What breeds exist that did not start as mutts only to be selectively bred? Its amusing to hear all the "its not a real dog" comments. My opinion is that its more like a designer breed. Established breeds brought together to produce something different. The only problem is with the motivation behind some of these "breeds".
Anyways, as to the temperment issue and shedding claims: Una doesn't shed near as much as other dogs with long or medium coats, and his temp is wonderful. If you're interested in a NAID, do some research, talk to actual owners, and whatever breed you do end up with, you'll be happy.

I almost forgot about the shyness part. Una is shy around strangers, any dogs bigger than a shih-tsu (no lie), and large cardboard boxes.....I prefer my dogs to be a little wary though. As for the little shedding that he does, it may be because we feed him good food ( Timberwolf Organics). My cocker spaniel used to shed horribly, but improved when we switched to TO. He was on Beneful previously. Hope this helps a little.

iheartsammy

ME+DOGS=CRAZY
OMG! your pup is adorable! how old is he?

After reading some books I realized that every breed was made from crossing breeds with other breeds. Does that make all 'purebreds' mutts?

L

LabBreeder

technically all purebreeds were mutts when they were originally bred. but as the years went on and they were bred back into themselves (if that makes any sense) they became the breed(s) we know today. A Newfoundlands origins are from Great Pyrenese and Tibetan Mastiffs...a Labrador origin comes from a Newfoundland so would have also had GP and TM blood. Now these dogs are their own breed. It's easier to look up on a website and read than to try to explain. :)

LabBreeder said:
technically all purebreeds were mutts when they were originally bred. but as the years went on and they were bred back into themselves (if that makes any sense) they became the breed(s) we know today. A Newfoundlands origins are from Great Pyrenese and Tibetan Mastiffs...a Labrador origin comes from a Newfoundland so would have also had GP and TM blood. Now these dogs are their own breed. It's easier to look up on a website and read than to try to explain. :)
Well put. Even the designer breeds that everyone seems to hate are perfectly ok. In fact, I think its a good thing, EXCEPT that many people take advantage of the popularity and breed for money only. Una is almost 8 months old now and weighs in at about 70lbs now.
He sort of chased a cat tonight during a walk and cornered it. He started wagging his tail and laid down in front of it and the cat actually came up and sniffed him for a minute and then took off. Must have been used to dogs or something. I'm glad he likes cats, I'm hoping to adopt one this winter.
Ray

L

LabBreeder

The thing I don't like about designer dogs (definitely not breeds yet) is that people are mainly doing it for profit and to sucker naive' buyers into thinking these dogs are actual breeds when they aren't. The only one that is even close to becoming recognized is the Labradoodle. To become a recognized breed: breed true for many generations, with accurate record keeping; provide evidence that there is sufficient interest in the breed throughout the United States; and a national club in place that meets AKC requirements to act as the parent club for the breed.
Just because people mix 2 breeds (or more) does not mean they are making a new breed. They are essentially contributing to the mixed breed population. The bad thing is that the American Canine Hybrid Club isn't helping matters. They act like it's ok to have a mutt with papers. It still doesn't make it a breed. The only designer dog I've heard of that is trying to set standards (that aren't all over the place including everything that could possibly be born) and prove generations and interest are Labradoodles. Everyone else, including some labradoodle breeders, are in it for the money and to take advantage of others.
I do not, in any way, support designer dogs. If they become breeds by going about it the right way, fine, I'll deal with it then. If someone is trying to revive a long dead breed (and it works) then great, have it recognized (NAID for example). :)

iheartsammy said:
i see labbreeder! :)

btw 4WheelVFR he sounds so cool! I wish you luck with that cat your getting too!
Hmmm, well the wife isn't too thrilled about getting a cat, so we probably won't for quite some time. We will be getting another dog in a year or two. Maybe another NAID. I am looking at Tollers, Chinooks, and dobermans.....I think they're all beautiful, but that's in the future.

Shannerson said:
Una is absolutely handsome! There can't be many people around breeding these dogs.
There aren't. We got Una from Dunn's Den. They are just a hobby breeder having one litter per year. Very nice folks, and they definitely love their dogs. They drove a couple hours to meet us so the dogs don't have to be shipped.

mozza

oh i love your dog 4WheelVFR ,i fall in love with the NAID a few yr's back now but sadly could not find a breed in the uk ,they are a rare breed indeed!!!!
but oh so cute ;)

is Una good with kid's ????

I have heard a lot of controversial things about Majestic View Kennels which is one of the breeders of NAIDs. I was checking over their site and it is making me more and more mad. They sell their dogs for $1200-1500 which doesn't include health checks. Now they started to invent a new breed of SiberCaans, http://www.majesticview1.com/SiberCaan/the_sibercaans.htm

I dont know, they seem very knowledgable but something seems a little fishy about them to me. I heard all sorts of things about them too and I am working of figuring out where I read them from.

What I don't get is it the dog went extinct. You cannot recreate one exactly the same! You would just be breeding mixes that closely resemble them. How can they call them the exact same name? They obviously aren't the same "breed" of dog. I bet the actual NAIDs that lived long ago whenever they did with the Indians, I bet they were just mutts breeding with each other and inbreeding. In other words, nothing really special. They weren't purebreds.

I don't know, just my thoughts on it. I think they are beautiful dogs. I love their wolf like appearance. But someone could probably have a Malamute mix and claim it to be a NAID and no one would know. I just don't get how they can still be called that when they obviously are not the exact same thing.

AnimalLoverCatRescuer said:
I have heard a lot of controversial things about Majestic View Kennels which is one of the breeders of NAIDs. I was checking over their site and it is making me more and more mad. They sell their dogs for $1200-1500 which doesn't include health checks. Now they started to invent a new breed of SiberCaans, http://www.majesticview1.com/SiberCaan/the_sibercaans.htm

I dont know, they seem very knowledgable but something seems a little fishy about them to me. I heard all sorts of things about them too and I am working of figuring out where I read them from.

What I don't get is it the dog went extinct. You cannot recreate one exactly the same! You would just be breeding mixes that closely resemble them. How can they call them the exact same name? They obviously aren't the same "breed" of dog. I bet the actual NAIDs that lived long ago whenever they did with the Indians, I bet they were just mutts breeding with each other and inbreeding. In other words, nothing really special. They weren't purebreds.

I don't know, just my thoughts on it. I think they are beautiful dogs. I love their wolf like appearance. But someone could probably have a Malamute mix and claim it to be a NAID and no one would know. I just don't get how they can still be called that when they obviously are not the exact same thing.
I defintely won't disagree with this post. Thats the only thing that bothered me about the whole NAID thing. I didn't find out a lot of this until money had changed hands, but I am glad I went through with it. I did understand that it was a recreation of a breed though. And to the previous poster, yes, Una is wonderful with kids. A little shy, but we tell kids to not jump all over him. Once he warms up to them and isn't afraid, they can wrestle him and just about ride him like a horse, and he loves it. He's not allowed to put his mouth on them, and he abides by this rule flawlessly. He can get a little rough with me though.:p

By the way, we didn't get Una from Majestic View, but since they're the founding breeder, than I guess that's where they all come from ultimately.

Members online