Movement/Gait Question

Babyblue5290

Happy Meal. Yum.
When Talon moves he will sometimes do the "bunny hop" type movement with his feet. Basically where the front hit the ground pretty much at the same time and then both back feet hit the ground. How much is normal and how much is cause for concern?

I'm slightly concerned as I've heard the bunny hop can be an early sign of joint problems. I know the only way to really tell is x-rays, and we plan on doing that when he's a bit older anyways just to make sure he's ok to keep up doing disc and agility in the future. But should I be concerned by the current hoping? Here's a video that kind of shows what I'm talking about.

You can see when he starts off running he runs 2 front then 2 back. When he slows down he starts walking with individual paws hitting the ground.

So, should I be concerned?

JennSLK

F150 and a .30-06
How old is he? Penhip does X-rays earlier and ofa will do prelim hips

Babyblue5290

Happy Meal. Yum.
How old is he? Penhip does X-rays earlier and ofa will do prelim hips
11months now I think, maybe 10 months.

I know they do prelims, I was more hoping that if there isn't a cause for concern to not have to do prelims (money factor) and be able to do them at 2 years when they can really tell definitively.

He's not going to be bred or anything that needs to have them done, but me being nervous nancy is always worried that there is something wrong. I more wanted to make sure that he was ok to do sports and activities that may be a bit harder on his joints.

Does it look concerning to you?

I'm not really seeing what you are talking about. My dog has a "bunny hop." It's quite obvious and it's her normal gait. She uses both front feet together. She was born with that gait and was diagnosed at a very young age as having arthritis. She was around 2 years old I think.

I just went out and took a video and it's still uploading. I'll post as soon as it's done.

Here's Em. I'm not sure if her problem is anything related to your pup's. And besides arthritis, the vet never informed us if anything else was wrong.

[YOUTUBE]mCmETfYxGs0[/YOUTUBE]

Babyblue5290

Happy Meal. Yum.
You know what guys, I have been looking at video's of border collies moving/running/trotting/walking and I don't think anything is wrong. I mistook the normal gait as a bunny hop, but looking at AmberH video as well as normal movements I don't think it's the same thing. Well that's good! ^_^ I may end up doing x-rays a bit earlier than planned though, just to put my mind at ease.

Cardiparty

Could it be the pup is just switching lead leg, or maybe wants to pace instead of trot and is having a hard time shifting gears?

DJEtzel

I see Recon do what you're describing occasionally. I think it is standard gait... definitely not a REAL bunny hop that could be sign of a problem, but it is hard to see ANYTHING in the videos of Talon, for me!

I wouldn't worry much. :)

Sparrow

My vet has used a simple test to check Zoe's hips while evaluating her joints before where he extends the back legs back behind her one at a time while she stands, basically bringing it back and out to draw it toward being parallel to the ground. I believe he is checking for a pain response or decreased range of motion. She always did well with the check, so I'm not positive.

Babyblue5290

Happy Meal. Yum.
I see Recon do what you're describing occasionally. I think it is standard gait... definitely not a REAL bunny hop that could be sign of a problem, but it is hard to see ANYTHING in the videos of Talon, for me!

I wouldn't worry much. :)
I think you're right, it's seems pretty normal. When we went to the disc comp. today a lot of BC's were there and many had the same movements. :) Thanks!

Also, yeah...I need a better video camera >_<

Could it be the pup is just switching lead leg, or maybe wants to pace instead of trot and is having a hard time shifting gears?
I think it's just him at a trot. I think I was worried just because he moves so much differently than Art, Bear, or any of the other dogs do. :)

My vet has used a simple test to check Zoe's hips while evaluating her joints before where he extends the back legs back behind her one at a time while she stands, basically bringing it back and out to draw it toward being parallel to the ground. I believe he is checking for a pain response or decreased range of motion. She always did well with the check, so I'm not positive.
Problem with Talon is he is so stoic he will not show pain unless it is super painful. He rubbed his paw pad raw and I touched it and he barely even looked. He doesn't have any decreased range of motion, doesn't seem stiff getting up or down the stairs either. He does use all four feet when going up/down the stairs so I think he's ok. :)

Members online

No members online now.