Is there ANY truth to this at all?

Emily

Rollin' with my bitches
Ok, so one of my coworkers, who was a vet tech for many years and is generally pretty knowledgable, has huge hang ups about intact dogs. Which is sad, but her problem, not everybody else's.

However, I just found out that she told another coworker her pit bull needed to be neutered (he's a well adjusted adult dog) because his testicles are making him walk bow-legged and that will give him hip dysplasia.

I pretty much spit my coffee and yelled "That's BULLSHIT!!!" because it sure sounds like it to me. Any input? It sounds patently ridiculous to me, but the owner of said pit bull is concerned and wanted me to look into it.

Good news: Nature somehow figured out a way for us intact males to walk without constantly racking ourselves OR giving ourselves orthopedic problems. Hooray!

Bad news: Your co-worker is a farking idiot and should be neutered immediately in order to prevent the spread of stupidity in the gene pool.

Emily

Rollin' with my bitches
Good news: Nature somehow figured out a way for us intact males to walk without constantly racking ourselves OR giving ourselves orthopedic problems. Hooray!

Bad news: Your co-worker is a farking idiot and should be neutered immediately in order to prevent the spread of stupidity in the gene pool.
I would tend to agree on both counts. :lol-sign:

There is so much wrong with that statement I don't even know where to start.

Huge swinging sac aside, nothing is going to give an adult dog hip dysplasia. It's developmental, not something that is acquired in adulthood for any reason.

Emily

Rollin' with my bitches
There is so much wrong with that statement I don't even know where to start.

Huge swinging sac aside, nothing is going to give an adult dog hip dysplasia. It's developmental, not something that is acquired in adulthood for any reason.
See, that's what I thought as well! He's an adult, he's not going to "catch" hip dysplasia somehow.

This dog is 6 years old, doesn't have an aggressive bone in his body, barely humps, doesn't roam, and is in excellent health... And coworker A is just trying to give coworker B some ridiculous reason to neuter him. :rolleyes:

And coworker A is just trying to give coworker B some ridiculous reason to neuter him. :rolleyes:
Pretty much that. It's one thing to be a neuter-nazi and think every dog on the planet should be neutered, it's another thing entirely to LIE to people in an attempt to force them into neutering their dog.

If the dog is 6 years old and has had his balls all his life, and hasn't sired any "oops" or otherwise poorly-bred litters, I think it's a safe bet that the owner is competent to keep him intact.

Emily

Rollin' with my bitches
Pretty much that. It's one thing to be a neuter-nazi and think every dog on the planet should be neutered, it's another thing entirely to LIE to people in an attempt to force them into neutering their dog.

If the dog is 6 years old and has had his balls all his life, and hasn't sired any "oops" or otherwise poorly-bred litters, I think it's a safe bet that the owner is competent to keep him intact.
Yep, for sure. Though I don't even think she's lying, just being... stupid. As in, she's probably convinced herself it's true.

And yeah, Mack has no babies on the planet and is entirely well-adjusted. Definitely does not need to be neutered. I think coworker A just can't stand the sight of his balls.

I think coworker A just can't stand the sight of his balls.
It's amazing how people who don't like the sight of dog balls seem to spend so much time actively looking at them. I'd say a lot of these people have some strange issues they're bottling up and should probably talk to a professional about.

It's amazing how people who don't like the sight of dog balls seem to spend so much time actively looking at them. I'd say a lot of these people have some strange issues they're bottling up and should probably talk to a professional about.
So true. This woman also gives Vet Techs a bad name. Bowlegged from his testicles. :(

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
If this is true...

How are breeding dogs being registered by the OFA as having Excellent hips when they are intact, adult males?

How are intact working dogs (I'm thinking of military/police/bomb/S&R/etc.) doing their jobs, if they have hip dysplasia?

I mean, wah...?

Emily

Rollin' with my bitches
If this is true...

How are breeding dogs being registered by the OFA as having Excellent hips when they are intact, adult males?

How are intact working dogs (I'm thinking of military/police/bomb/S&R/etc.) doing their jobs, if they have hip dysplasia?

I mean, wah...?
I don't think she thought that testicles make dogs in general dysplastic, just this dog.

StillandSilent

Hd? No. I did know a basset whose testicles were so large and low hanging that we whapped them on the stairs when he went up or down, but that's the only ball related injury I've seen

My uncles Bassett gave his third degree burns on a hot deck once, they had to take him to the vet, said uncle then had to rub cream on his dogs balls....he neutered all future dogs...

iriskai

Had a good little laugh over this. I'll have to let Ezra know that he's getting he jewels removed because having something between his legs will cause HD.

In the same line of thought, are your coworker's significant other, male siblings, father, and male friends all also neutered?? If not, your coworker should let them know the potential dangers of being intact!

sillysally

Obey the Toad.
Even though I don't think there is anything to this, I sort of get the logic. I have seen intact male dogs, especially short haired ones, that appear to be walking bow legged, but I think it's an optical illusion because you see something hanging between their legs. If she thinks the dog is walking bow legged because of his testicles, and that he is therefore altering his manner of going and putting extra stress on his joints because of it, I could see where she would be concerned. I just doubt very much that's what's happening.

Members online

No members online now.