Stray...

Okay, there is a really sweet stray roaming around the apartment complex. He has been running around here for a couple of day (it is a gated community) and I don't know what to do. :confused:

He is a really large breed, but I don't know exactly what. I don't want to go up and get him, since he has no tags or collar and I don't REALLY know what his temperment is. I know he is not aggressive, since he leaves me and my puppy to ourselves, even when he obviously notices us. I don't want to take any chances, however.

The poor guy is limping now, I think he hurt his paw. A couple of days ago he wasn't doing this. It is really bothering me, since he must really be suffering, but I am afraid of calling the pound in fear that no one will adopt him and he will be put to sleep.

Does the humane society or any no kill shelters come out to pick up animals?

Please help, my heart is aching for this poor guy.

Cindy

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
There no-kill shelters out in KC all have a waiting list..the shelter is better than being hit by a car or starving..poor guy..let us know what you decide.

Is their anyway to figure out his temperament?
When we found Brownie (Rose's mom. She broke her back a couple of months after we got her so she died...... :( ) I was out giving my little brother and sis a wagon ride. Brownie came walking up toward us, so I told Wes and JeanAnne to stay in the wagon just in case. Well, I found out that Brownie was just looking for some attention, so I let the little peeps out to pet her. She was perfectly fine. She kinda hung around our house and our neighbors house for two more days so we decided to keep her. We were also lucky that she wasn't dog aggresive.

But could you somehow find out his temperament? If you find out he is good with people, then maybe you could take him in while slowly introducing your pup to him? Or not introducing him at all.

But ya, it would probably be better to have him go to the Shelter than wander around and starve to death.....

I'm also concerned that he will starve. Dogs are so much at are mercy, and really need to be taken care of. We have a no kill shelter here in our area called "Home At Last". They do a great job. I would call animal control and aske them, or even a vet's office.

Take care...keep us posted.

Dena

Vickih

I think I would call the pound, and then once they have him, keep in touch with them in the hope I could find him a no kill shelter to be placed in, or a foster home.

No one will come and get him. I can't find the number to the local pound, because I do agree it would be better for him to be put to sleep than to starve to death and the humane societies require you to bring them in.

I would try to bring him in the house, but my husband would kill me if we adopted another pet. I really don't know what vaccinations, if any, he has had in case he did bite me.

Any other ideas on what I can do for him??

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
Unless you have the animal contained..it is pointless to call an animal control officer. I had to sit in the car with the dog around the corner..then switch my dogs to the car and put him in the house.

juliefurry

Rusty but Trusty
I know most no kill shelters have waiting lists, atleast around by us. Maybe try feeding him, leaving food scattered around his favorite spots. I do that for the strays around here (and my husband wonders why they are always running close to our street). There is one dog in particular that I am trying to befriend it looks like a belgian malinois either that or it's a shepard with mostly light brown and longer fur. She's a really beautiful dog, sort of skinny, and she doesn't seem mean just scared. She came up to investigate my boy the other day and didn't show any aggression towards him at all but when I offered her a biscuit she seemed hesitant to come near it and took off through the neighborhood. I'm just itchin to see if I can befriend her. I would atleast try to scatter some food around his favorite spots because who knows where this poor guys gets his food from.

Love4Pits

Playful Husky Pup
I feel your pain i have a stray running around here as well. And I have yet to get help from shelters to catch him. He has a pretty bad reputation though i guess he's a quick guy and when people do come out to get him he takes off like a rocket. He's been getting into garbage and killing chickens and alot of my neigbors would like to put a gun to his head the poor thing. I threw him a few bits of meat today and he wagged his tail for the first time.

In my case i live in a rural area. So in the far back of my property right at the outsdie of my woods i plan on building a pen and coax him in there. That way he is away from my dogs. I have a friend who works at a local shelter and she has offered to help anyways she can. Im planning on keeping him here for awhile and working with him. I want to give him a chance before i put him in a shelter where if he shows a hent of food aggression he will be put down. But im also prepared for the event that even though he's kind at a distance in a penned area though a dog can become viciouse. And if a dog is viciouse in a pen it will be in any inclosed space and so he may have to be humanly euthanized. BUT i want to give him a cahcne he would'nt normally have.

candy722

I know what your going through because that's exactly how i feel with our homeless cat except that she's not ill.

Members online

No members online now.