Might be getting a Ferret!

Rose's Gal

Yey!!!!!! :D :D But my parents are still concerned that I'll be overloaded if I get a Ferret because not only will I have to care for it, I'll have school, my dogs, and the Leader Dog puppy we will be getting next Spring. I don't think I'll be overloaded (maybe just loaded, but not overloaded) but they aren't so sure. So I have a question. About how much time does a Ferret need interaction?
I can let it out of its cage no problem (maybe while I'm doing my homework, etc or I'm just in my room), but how much time do I need to spend playing with it?
And if I got two Ferrets, would they need as much play time with me? I'd be able to let them out to 'exercise' no problem, but it is the getting down on the floor and playing with them that will be in short supply once I go into highschool this fall. (And then on weekends and breaks, I'd have them out all of the time, and I'd be playing with them and, if it is nice out, taking them outside on leashes or in a pen to play outside. :D So, any input?

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
they are active, and slippery, need lots of attention to tame and not be biters, they love to get into places where they can get hurt..beware the reclining chair...they need someone that doens'tmind the strong musky odor as well. I imagine that two would play together releasing you from some of the interaction, but if you want to be able to handle them (they can bite quite hard) you will need to put in the time.

Rose's Gal

I'm thinking about adopting a Ferret(s). There is a Ferret rescue kinda near us and they have two adorable Ferrets that I really like and that my mom likes too. (BIG shocker there. lol) So they will already be 'handtamed' and housebroken and all of that stuff.
Besides, I wouldn't know where else to get a Ferret because they only other place I know of that has them is a Petstore in the mall and I refuse to buy ANYTHING from that place because all of there animals (dogs, kittens, rabbits around easter time, ferrets, birds, hamsters, etc.) are all in too small of a cage and they all look sick. :mad: I do NOT want to be supporting them. Anyways....
(I won't have a problem with the musky oder. It is my Mom having a problem with it I'm worried about.....)
I could probably spend at least an hour or two with them (aka, doing personal interaction with them) on school days, and all day (ok, not technically ;) ) with them on weekends and breaks.
If need be, I'd let them out before I go to school (get up 30-45min earlier) and play with them, and then let them run around in the late affternoon-evening after I've walked our dogs and done my homework. (They could be out while I'm doing my homework too, but I couldn't be playing with them.)
Does that sound like enough time for a Ferret? I can't find any good websites about them, so I don't know.

joce

If you get two then they should be fine just getting out a couple hors a day. I've had them but only to find homes for them. I just can't deal with the smell. I had one by itself and it always wanted attention but the pair really kind of ignored me. You really have to watch it with small places and mine always tried to go after my cat so they probally would have done the same thing with the dogs. They can get a lot of health problems so if you notice a change you need to get them in right away. There is this vitamin stuff called feritveve(i think!) and they would do anything for it! It also helped my pair put on weight when I got them. I can't think of anything else but if you have a specific question I'll answer it. The ferret leashes are great too!

Ok, thanks. I found a really good Ferret forum and so if I have any questions I'll ask them. So far I have learned LOADS off of that site and they have been really good at answering my questions. So thanks for all of your help! :)

Ferrets are not smelly unless you don't neuter and spay them but you might have to spay the female or else she might get pregnant or she could die cause she was'ent pregnantbut we have 2 of them and they don't stink lol

I think getting a rescue ferret is a great idea, I was really surprised to find out the little town I just moved to has a ferret rescue so I'm looking to get a couple soon too :) They are all neutered and chipped and cost £25...more than the £5-10 of the average kit but it's definitely worth it to get a rescue, something I've never done before so I'd really like to. Just have to wait for OH to build me a hutch!

I don't find the smell particularly offensive really, it's certainly distinctive, but I don't think it's that bad...maybe I'm just weird!

Saje

Island dweller
I thought that most pet ferrets came with their scent glands removed. I know it's a musky smell because that weasel we had in the house had the same smell. It wasn't that offensive to me either so you aren't that weird metalm. :)

Members online

No members online now.