Uh Oh.... I Missed a Birthday...

Airn

Happy (late) Birthday to Gwen!

Her birthday.. was on April 30th! She turned 2.

I'll just have to use pictures when we FIRST got her since I'm in the process of moving and have not had time to take pictures. Oh and CRAPPY WEATHER. Why is there snow in my yard in May in ARKANSAS? Keep your snow up there, guys.

ANYWAY. Here she is.

She learned early on that we are suckers for lap sitting... however it took some time to perfect....

She also learned how to suck up to the SO, since I'm a pushover.

Our first 'moment'. When I realized that she would be our dog child (mostly mine) and not just the sad looking shelter dog.

Another of her first night with us.

One of our first outings with her. This is where we learned Gwen likes to look majestic and pissed all at the same time when you want to photograph her.

It took Gwen a few days to open up to us at all. Thankfully, she is a very loyal girl and once we gained her trust, she went everywhere with us. We've had our issues. After destroying 3 sets of $50 blinds, the bathroom and numerous other odds and ends, I can't say I wasn't TEMPTED to 're-home' her. But we were already in love and wanted to work with her on these issues. She also had severe SA. I never thought I would crate my dogs. I had never had a reason to, honestly. But the crate helped us so much. With potty training and... not destroying the apartment. It's big and not the prettiest thing, but I think I'll hang on to it. :rolleyes:

Gwen has taught me so much. I didn't think I wanted children until I got Gwen. It's funny because it seems to be the opposite for most people, but I think having a dog will make me a BETTER parent. I treat her like my child. She's my practice and even if I mess up, she can't become a serial killer or ever say "I HATE YOU" and slam the door. :lol-sign: She's taught me some patience (which I have little of) and she has made me want to learn as much as I can about being a better dog owner. And she helped me find Chaz, which opened up a world I never knew existed.

She is by no means perfect, but neither am I. We're a good match. And I know we can only improve from here on out. Here's to hoping for many more birthdays with my crazy Kelpie. (I promise I'll remember them!)

Members online

No members online now.