Meet Joey

skittledoo

Crazy naked dog lady
I'm back. I had to take a short break from the forum to collect myself and make my own decision regarding the Ibizan (formerly Roger).

I did decide to keep him. It was not a decision I made lightly and I went back and forth in my head trying to convince myself which decision was the best one to make, but in the end I did make the decision to keep him.

(Side note: I do NOT want this thread to turn into a discussion about my marriage, but I did want to add without going into a lot of detail that Josh and I are doing better as of right now and he did mention he is willing to see the marriage counselor. We had a LONG talk and basically hashed a lot of stuff out and that helped tremendously. Definitely taking steps in the right direction. He is ok with me keeping this dog on the agreement that we will not be adding anymore animals until one of the dogs passes on. That's fine with me and I can agree to that.)

Anyways, back onto Joey. I named him Joey (Caliterp gave me the name idea) because he reminds me so much of a kangaroo. A few people mentioned he reminds them of Stitch from Lilo and Stitch and I considered the name Stitch, but I feel like Joey rolls off the tongue better and he seems more like a Joey to me.

As of right now we are in the process of moving. He is staying with someone until the end of this month. She has a greyhound and she spoils Joey rotten lol. He has already improved on his weight issue. She actually keeps an online blog for her greyhound and has written a couple entries from Joey's point of view.

Here are some photos that the girl that has him temporarily took of him. I have videos too.

yoko

I'm so happy you decided to keep him!!!

I've been wondering lately what happened with him. He looks so happy :D

skittledoo

Crazy naked dog lady
He's 2. Trying to figure out what else he could have in. Most of the guesses people have given me is Podengo or another Spanish influence, but mostly he is Ibizan Hound.

skittledoo

Crazy naked dog lady

Grab

What a handsome guy :) Glad the entire family is on board and that things are moving forward in a positive light on many fronts :)

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
What a handsome guy :) Glad the entire family is on board and that things are moving forward in a positive light on many fronts :)
Ditto! Glad things are looking up. He is very handsome!

I know he's not exactly 'to standard' but why do people think he has something else in him? He doesn't look much off to me.

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
Congrats on the new addition! :D It's funny how things all work out. And good Lord, the legs on him! I think I'd have called him stilts. Lol

skittledoo

Crazy naked dog lady
Because he has a darker nose and I'm told Ibizans only have flesh colored noses. His head/stop is a little off as well.

Personally I want to know more about the genetics side of things because while he isn't to standard I want to know if it's genetically impossible for him to be pure or if he could just be a fluke out of standard breeding. No one has given me any answers though. I know another Chazzer asked the same thing on a post on my Facebook but I don't think anyone responded about it so I have no idea.

Eta: the people I got him from said he is purebred and that the original owner got him from a breeder in Florida. No idea...

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Huh. I know a few Ibizan people but dunno if you've asked them yet. (sarah is the main one. I could ask her) I've seen a lot of dogs of various breeds that have one or two features that look a little 'off'. And certainly have seen purebreds that look much more out of standard than him! I know I've heard they can't have a BLACK nose but his isn't really black, just darker.

Haha, yeah I'm just really curious.

Locke

He is the cutest! Joey is the perfect name for him! I hope his tummy troubles are over.

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
Well, the UKC/AKC standard lists darker pigment/spots on the nose as a disqualification. Which to me means "it does happen in registered purebreds but it's a fault"
if it NEVER happened to purebreds.. I don't think they would even mention it.

*shrug* He may very well be mixed.. but I don't think the nose is really that big of a sign that he is. He may just not be very well bred..

Just my 2 cents.

momto8

Very happy for you guys!!

I don't know what he's mixed with, it would be very interesting to find out what he is mixed with. I've seen several mixes over the years, but not one that looks like him. I had thought Podengo at first, but they don't produce dark pigment either..so i don't know

Members online

No members online now.