"Trancing" - ever heard of this behavior?

CaliTerp07

You can trance a rabbit. If you sit in a chair and flip them upside down (so their head is between your knees, and their tummy facing up), the majority of rabbits will go into this relaxed, half asleep mode. Some of them just totally conk out and become spaghetti like. It's the easiest way to trim nails if your rabbit lets you do it!

Never heard of it in dogs though...

adojrts

Yes, and sadly I had to research it because one of my Jrts (purchased dog, not a dog I bred) had it and she later had to be put down for going into disassociated states. She was highly unpredicatable and aggressive when she went into those episodes. They got worse as she matured and after each heat. When she wasn't in one of those states, she was a lovely, sweet dog.
She also spent a lot of time (got worse as time went by) trotting in circles, staring at the ground and it got so bad she didn't need anything to trot around.
It is also not uncommon for such dogs to also be OCD over tail chasing, crate spinning is also another one.

My biggest regret was breeding her before I knew what it was and that it was getting worse. Her breeder kept telling me it was very high prey drives and not to worry which in the end was not it at all and I couldn't get them to understand how bad she was becoming.

In the end she was a dangerous dog, so I put her down.

Dekka

Just try me..
Zo (daughter of dog above) spun in circles, in crates, in expens, even when out swimming in a large lake she would spend over 1/2 an hour swimming in circles. We still have ruts in the yard where she would circle. She never stared at things when she was stationary but would have a glazed look when circling.

She too was a wonderful and sweet dog most of the time. During her episodes she bit me a good one as well as biting Mark just before we had her put down.

It is very weird.. and heartbreaking to live through.

skittledoo

Crazy naked dog lady
You can trance a rabbit. If you sit in a chair and flip them upside down (so their head is between your knees, and their tummy facing up), the majority of rabbits will go into this relaxed, half asleep mode. Some of them just totally conk out and become spaghetti like. It's the easiest way to trim nails if your rabbit lets you do it!

Never heard of it in dogs though...
that's how I used to trim my rabbit's nails a few years ago. It was the only way to get him to stay still.

How strange. Sorry adojrts & dekka. Is that a common thing in JRT? Jake tail chases but not as much now as he is maturing.

adojrts

How strange. Sorry adojrts & dekka. Is that a common thing in JRT? Jake tail chases but not as much now as he is maturing.
I don't know how common it is in Jrts/Prts, but it isn't surprising that it does happen in Jrts/Prts because they have Bull Terrier in their history.

Breeders need to smarten up and stop taking risks of breeding dogs that have OCD's, no matter what the breed is.

I learned my lesson, I will never again breed a dog that shows even the slightest hint of an OCD behaviour. It isn't worth it, no matter how well bred the dog is, how well put together it is or what it has won. The risks and the price is too high.

Yeah, not all dogs are put down for it, but why take the risk that the next generation or the one after that has to lose their life.........

Members online

No members online now.