help! need hubby and puppy to make nice.

catbender

About a year ago, our family purchased a 2 year old pekinese/maltese mix dog from an elderly couple that couldn't take care of him anymore. The dog was a very friendly dog, was great with my kids, great with me, however he was very timid of my husband. It continued to get worse over time, until it got to the point where the dog would growl and bark at my husband the second he saw him, and would continue until my husband was out of sight. My husband tried everything to become friends with that dog, to no avail. We eventually had to get rid of the dog, and decided to wait awhile and then look into purchasing a puppy rather than a full grown dog. About 2 months ago, we purchased a 9 week old miniature schnauzer, Louie. When we went to pick Louie up, he was scared to death, and the first several days the puppy was so frightened of everyone he wouldn't move, it was like he was frozen. I had even made a couple of jokes about how we paid an awful lot of money for this statue. However, after about a week, he warmed right up to me and my kids. Since then he has done beautifully with potty training, does great going in his crate at night to sleep, has learned how to sit on command, and is coming right along with learning how to fetch. Louie is definately more attached to me than anyone, which makes sense because I'm the only one here 24/7.....hubby and the kids are in and out with work and school and such, but Louie is good with the kids too.....wags his tail and runs to them when he hasn't seen them for awhile. The ONLY problem we are having with Louie is, just like the other dog, afraid of my husband. My husband has not hurt the puppy, or punished the puppy or anything like that, but he doesn't have that "puppy voice" and demeaner that many people have. He's got a very deep voice, and is kind of intimidating personality wise, although he's trying to show his more gentle side, (not really sure he has such a thing :) ), when he's around the puppy. Now, my husband is not being very patient in his mission to win over Louie. He'll make a little bit of progress by getting the dog to come sniff his hand, but then the next time he stands up and the dog runs away, or cowers, he gets frustrated and says "whatever" and rolls his eyes. I say Louie can read into that, and knows that my husband is not overly thrilled with the whole situation, and makes him lose any trust that he may've started to have. I think I have a bit of jealous hubby/jealous puppy thing going on, and I'm not quite sure how to handle it. I'm almost certain that my husbands demeaner is a big part of the problem, and I'm not sure how to go about helping my husband fix that without insulting him. ANY and ALL help or ideas on this would be soooooo appreciated. The kids and I were all heartbroken when we had to find a home for the first dog, and I can't imagine having to go through that again, even worse this time after bringing him home as such a little baby and watching him grow and learn things as we have.

Debi

that's funny cause it's usually the person that ignores the dog..that the dog adores! I won't really be of help, but I'm sure someone will be around soon. Maybe if your hubby sits on the floor and just lets the puppy sniff him..you know, no direct eye contact..just casual. My hubby doesn't do a thing..doesn't feed my dogs..doesn't walk them..doesn't try to fuss over them..and they LOVE him. You hubby doesn't have to pet or cuddle, just sit quietly and let the pup get to know him a bit. We'll try to ask Emma if she doesn't come on soon. (Creature Teacher) She is soooo excellent. :)

See if you can get your hubby to be the one to set your pup's food down for him and giving him treats after doing a few training exercises with your pup. If he will start saving your pup the last bite of food from his plate and feeding it to your pup from his hand will help.

bichongal

well i think yo know who should really go this time and it aint the puppy hunny!!! LMAO im just kidding i couldnt resist! :p and debi is right that is an odd case, my husband was not at all thrilled that we got a puppy, and she drives him nuts constantly chasing him around and biting his toes LOL, and hes a big unemotional deep voice.... hey my husband "works" alot u sure hes not yours? LMAo sorry again i just cant help the jokes lol, anyhow and our puppy and cat both adore him and he despises it, but its fun to watch!!! so in your rare case id have to say he is trying too much let it happen naturally, just as the pup sences from him it sences the concerns from day one and could be the entire reason for his standoffness to everyone at first... i hope im saying this right i can have trouble putting things into words right lol, anyhow heres an example and i hope it works, ive owned horses untill just recently and had a horse i ended up kinda unsure of and he was a great horse and perfect for everyone else, but when i got him my uneasyness and hesitaion caused him to react and never in a harmful manner just a what the heck flighty manner because he senced all i was feeling, and it became more like whenever i thought something bad might happen or he might get stupid he did, so its like if u have the feeling already in you you can make them react to it.... i hope i made sence i know i can relate it better. i also agree with renee him getting lower and letting the dog come to him on its own is worth a try, i think if everyone stops worrying about it and just acts natural and he developes the relationship he wants with the puppy it will work out. id have him lay down alot and watch tv and let the puppy come over and snif him out without him responding they do love a challenge for attention lol, maybe even some goodies just happen to be on his shirt?? im no expert but good luck!!! :p

I think the suggestions you have gotten above are all excellent. Sometimes it just takes time and your husbands patience. I truly believe if your husband gets down on the floor at his level and lets the puppy come to him without reacting or giving him any attention it will come to him more and more. We've adopted 2 adult yorkie boys and they were so skittish and cowered everytime my husband went near them and now they are on his lap and giving him more kisses then I get. But, he is also the one who always gives them that "last bite" from the dinner table. LOL Good luck and don't give up we've had ours 3 months now and they have come a long way.

Members online

No members online now.