I think my dog is pregnant.

Saje

Island dweller
Momof2Pups said:
I know, and i even mentioned that I am glad for everyone's advice and I'm considering all of it. Why did you jump to those conclusions? Of course they were, but at 5 weeks she started showing and we put two and two together.
Jumping to conclusions? It was a question dear that's why I put a question mark on the end. ??? I was wondering because it seems like the thought would have crossed your mind when she didn't go into heat or when you found out she was playing with an intact male. You could have found out yesterday or Thursday. It didn't have to be today, therefore the question. :p

Whisper

Kaleidoscopic Eye
Saje said:
Jumping to conclusions? It was a question dear that's why I put a question mark on the end. ??? I was wondering because it seems like the thought would have crossed your mind when she didn't go into heat or when you found out she was playing with an intact male. You could have found out yesterday or Thursday. It didn't have to be today, therefore the question. :p
You know what? I'm sorry. I was the one that just jumped to conclusions. I'm just waaay in defensive mode, I know I'm not a terrible dog owner, but from being uncautious I got myself and my dog into trouble and I'm probably coming off that way! ;)

Saje

Island dweller
Nah. Stuff happens to everyone. I just hope you get her to the vet soon.

S

savethebulliedbreeds

Hey, momof2, pseudo pregnancies and real pregnancies are very hard to tell the difference between. I don't honestly think that she is any grave danger at the moment. Its not like she is bursting at the seams. Does she seem distressed at all? If she is pregnant the pregnancy seems (from what you have told us) very normal for 5 weeks along. Unless of course I have missed something (I just kind of skimmed the thread). I don't see any reason why you can't wait to see the vet on Monday. Its not life or death right now.

savethebulliedbreeds said:
Hey, momof2, pseudo pregnancies and real pregnancies are very hard to tell the difference between. I don't honestly think that she is any grave danger at the moment. Its not like she is bursting at the seams. Does she seem distressed at all? If she is pregnant the pregnancy seems (from what you have told us) very normal for 5 weeks along. Unless of course I have missed something (I just kind of skimmed the thread). I don't see any reason why you can't wait to see the vet on Monday. Its not life or death right now.
The reason everyone are saying to get to the vets is that her dog weighs less than 10LB and there is a chance of her being 5 weeks preggers with the puppies of a Chow mix. We are concerned that her uterus might not withstand the strain.

Momof2..........please don't feel that everyone here is "Having a go" at you.
We all want the best for your dog (as do you) and we are sat at the other end of a PC and some of us across the other side of the world...........Now and then it is easy to misread/misjudge people on here.
We all know that you are worried for your dog and want the best for her.
It's just that some of us wouldn't have waited for "signs" to happen after realising that our dog was in heat during a play date :)

S

savethebulliedbreeds

I completely understand why you guys want her to get to the vet now, but she said she her dog just started showing. I'm almost positive that her uterus will be fine until Monday if she can't get to a vet at this moment. I would say to get her in now if she was huge already but by the sounds of it she just started showing (again, correct me if I am wrong). She's not going to explode in a matter of a day.

Aussie Red

Rebel With Cause
I am just going to say this and then opt out. Everyone has and will make mistakes. I feel bad that this has happened to you and if you learn then so much the better.
I too had this happen to my first dog a female lab because I did not know that at 6 months they went into heat and did not know what to look for.
We took her to vet to be spayed after a neighbor told us and she came through it just fine.
I hope that your dog comes through this allright as well and I am truly sorry you had to learn these things like I did.
Good luck to you and your little girl and please let us know how it turns out.
I am not going to condem you I just want you to know this your not the first one to have this happen and most assuredly wont be the last.
If you can educate just one other new dog owner then all is not lost.

Red_ACD_for_me

Ruled by a RED boy!
MOMof2, everyone has given great info to you and if anything take this as a learning experience. I also would recommend you talk to the owner of the chow mix for them to get him neutered. A mix breed has nothing to offer to the gene pool anyway so why is he even intact? Unless, he is owned by a man then I would get my answer :D I hope your girl is okay :)

StillandSilent

We actually had a similar situation at our shelter. We had a 12lb dog who had gotton pregnant by the neighbors Pit Bull. She ended up needing a C-section. She only had three puppies, but she ended up not having enough milk to nurse them all, so we had to bottle feed. That is something else to consider if you decide to go through with the pregnancy. Our shelter has also spayed pregnant bitches without problems.

bubbatd

Sadly enough ( I've posted this before, but this is for newbies ) I had to have my Golden aborted ..... because of a stupid pet sitter who let her out of her pen , or let my males in, when she was in heat. This would have been Father or brother or a visiting neighbor's dog.... neither acceptable when breeding seriously . Very sad and costly to me, but I couldn't bring " problem " dogs into the world. I've also had phantom pregnancies ... nesting, full utters, and a gathering of stuff animals at " due date " .....when I knew d@mn well that she wasn't within 10 feet of a male for the full 4 weeks.

Whisper

Kaleidoscopic Eye
We called the vet this morning. She said she could see Lucy at 11:00 on Wednesday. That's not as early as I would like, but seeing how Lucy is doing now, I know she'll be ok until then. I am so anxious as to what the vet will say about her.

S

savethebulliedbreeds

Momof2, you will be just fine waiting until Wednesday to take her to the vets. Keep us posted.

Momof2Pups said:
The play date was roughly 5 weeks ago. We left Lucy with her puppy friend Rocky, and the owners failed to tell us that his testicles had descended ( I knooowww, the situation is even worse; the father is a puppy about 8 months old!) and we didn't kow Lucy had entered her heat yet, but she had and now we're here 5 weeks later after she was alone in heat with a male dog for hours, and she's having symptoms of pregnancy. I feel so guilty! :(
At five weeks post, you can STILL have her spayed...but I would not wait any longer!!

Whisper

Kaleidoscopic Eye
Just got back from the vet. They said it could be a uterine infection but ruled it out because she's not slacking off of food or getting sick, and said she couldn't feel any puppies, but we decided it didn't matter if she was pregnant or not, she's going to be spayed a week from today.

Momof2Pups said:
Just got back from the vet. They said it could be a uterine infection but ruled it out because she's not slacking off of food or getting sick, and said she couldn't feel any puppies, but we decided it didn't matter if she was pregnant or not, she's going to be spayed a week from today.
Great :)

Members online

No members online now.