Sunny walking in the warmer months, thoughts? =|

TahlzK

It's slowly warming up in Australia. Yesterday it was a tad warm but it wasn't bad enough that we couldn't go for a comfortable walk. I was in a rush today so I took both dogs for a short walk around the block, we walked for 18minutes but that's only because I walked so slow, I can walk around the block in 7minutes.

Serenity did fine. Sunny is my concern. By the end of the walk he was walking by my side (which he never does, he likes to pull a bit and walk ahead). He stopped at some shade and didn't want to move and we were almost home. When we got home he jumped in the shell pool which he hasn't done since last Summer. That pool is there for Serenity, he never normally goes in it.

I don't want to do wrong by him. I don't know what to do. Should I just walk him in the morning instead? Should I just do a 10minute walk? How do I watch for stress heat?

Maybe I'm over reacting but he hasn't acted that way before in walks. I don't know if I should take him for long walks. I wouldn't have walked him if it was hotter but it wasn't that hot. He's only 6.. I just don't know about walking him in this mild heat.

Thoughts?

Catsi

What time was it in the morning? I usually take my two in the early mornings (about 6 at the latest now, but that will move back to 5am as the weather heats up) and grandma's whippet gets walked after 6pm - it's very nice and cool then. My little one (avatar) and the whippet would probably cope in a bit more heat, but I know my old girl Grace feels it very easily. I'd just try and go earlier myself, if that's at all possible?

TahlzK

No, it was in the afternoon around 4:00pm so it probably wasn't the greatest idea but for me it wasn't that hot, I didn't think it may be hotter for the dogs. I have been getting up around 4:45am now and I've been walking Serenity before work so I'll just let Sunny come along too. I'll start walking him around 6pm if its nicer weather. I can't walk him last 6:30pm because its dark by then and I'd rather not walk at night.

Thanks! So I'll defiantly do earlier and later walks!

Members online

No members online now.