Things I learned today...

Finkie_Mom

It's A Red Dog Revolution
Kimma and I went to our first obedience show-n-go! I'm preparing her for her BN. She's never been in an obedience class (though of course we've done puppy obedience, agility foundations and a CGC course, plus she's my demo dog, so it's not totally foreign to work in that way around other dogs), so I knew that it would be interesting. She CAN do everything in many different environments, but I did learn some new things about her/us today:

- She gets stressed out on new types flooring

- Kimma is MUCH better off leash than on. Ooopps. That's my fault for working her mainly in the yard/other fenced in areas and on long leads that I"m not holding.

- Hand targeting is our best friend

- She can sit/stay and down/stay in random fields and on agility start lines like it's nobody's business, but doing them in a smaller indoor room is scary

- A sit for exam with my antisocial, aloof dog will get the judge licked on the hand :yikes:

Ugh :eek:

Finkie_Mom

Nice, you must have been proud! I sometimes contemplate doing CKC obedience with Pan, but I really don't want to train the stand for exam (or the long sit and down, lol).
Well, I was sort of proud that she sat still for it (I've never gotten to really practice with her for a stand for exam, so I didn't even attempt that), but the judge today was saying that she's not sure that other judges would let the lick slide LOL. But she agreed with me that I would rather have her like the judges than be scared of them (which she normally is with strangers).

The long sit and long downs were almost fine, except if/when other dogs got up. And it did take her a minute to remember what "sit" and "down" meant.... (We did the long sit/down first, then again about 1/2 hour after our actual run). Meh. These things are always an eye-opening experience hahaha.

The judge also didn't know what a Finnish Spitz was, which I thought was interesting. But I guess I'm the only one around here that competes with them...

Emily

Rollin' with my bitches
Nice, you must have been proud! I sometimes contemplate doing CKC obedience with Pan, but I really don't want to train the stand for exam (or the long sit and down, lol).
It's funny because the SFE is a total bitch with either a no touch dog or a super friendly dog. I remember being in the Novice ring and BITING my lip during the SFE with Macky... her ears would go back... the tails starts... LOL Once she really did almost turn and push her butt at the judge from a scratch but it was like she looked at me and went, "Oh right, I guess not, huh?" :rofl1:

Anyway, yeah, it's interesting what you learn during these things, huh? I realized that Keeva has a ton of anticipation problems when we went to our first group OB class. She's used to doing things quickly, so during the exercises, the whole waiting for the judge's instructions business is a problem. Then again, she general has issues with waiting for instructions, and prefers to do whatever she's sure you want her to instead. LOL.

It's good that you're taking for what it is though - information! Now you know what needs work. :)

Finkie_Mom

It's funny because the SFE is a total bitch with either a no touch dog or a super friendly dog. I remember being in the Novice ring and BITING my lip during the SFE with Macky... her ears would go back... the tails starts... LOL Once she really did almost turn and push her butt at the judge from a scratch but it was like she looked at me and went, "Oh right, I guess not, huh?" :rofl1:

Anyway, yeah, it's interesting what you learn during these things, huh? I realized that Keeva has a ton of anticipation problems when we went to our first group OB class. She's used to doing things quickly, so during the exercises, the whole waiting for the judge's instructions business is a problem. Then again, she general has issues with waiting for instructions, and prefers to do whatever she's sure you want her to instead. LOL.

It's good that you're taking for what it is though - information! Now you know what needs work. :)
Hahahaha yeah, I just didn't even bother trying the SFE for so many reasons. But one of them wasn't because I thought she'd try to lick the judge LOL. Now I know I need to work on that :p

Yeah! It's weird for Kimma to wait, too! We just knock everything out in quick training sessions so when we take a break, her mind goes bye bye.

I will totally continue to do these types of matches for obedience and agility. They have already proven invaluable for us, and I've only done a few thus far!

One thing that I am glad about is that I think Kimma can totally do Rally Advanced sooner rather than later. The fact that she's so much better off leash does make me happy - I just wasn't expecting it! I may change our training plan a bit to focus more on Rally instead now, but I'm not 100% sure. I may see if there are any Rally show-n-gos in the area to try out that theory before I sign us up for a trial. Plus I think there are new signs since we competed in Rally last fall?

Staff online

Members online