The 'mutt' book...

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
I saw this book at Barnes and Noble. I forget what it was called, but it was supposed to show you how to identify a mutt's makeup.

anyways, so I got to looking at it and it was ridiculous! Just plain silly. There was a smooth coated border collie looking mix in there and they had it listed as a bernese mountain dog mix. (Because it was tricolor, where else can you get tricolor from? lol) There was what I think was a lurcher- skinny looking merle dog with long hair. It was listed as a Tervuren mix! Then about a 'papillon mix' because of course the ears had feathering. But as the book so expertly mentioned it probably couldn't be a papillon mix because the ears were drop-eared. *bangs head against wall*

The best one I saw was a longhaired probably 60 lb cream dog, with pointy ears and a very collie looking face. Well... it had to be a Finish Lapphund mix! How many finnish Lapphund's do you know running around impregnating other dogs?

It was just silly. there were other things saying that 'white chest patch' had to indicate a certain breed. And of course the ear set had to be indicative of ONE breed, as well as the body shape. It couldn't be somewhere in between the breeds crossed.

I understand they're just guessing but sheesh. Now everyone with a collie x spitz dog is going to think they have a lapphund.

Suzzie

Aging Canine Advocate
lol

when i was younger i thought Murphy was a Harrier

now I'm fairly certain she is a beagle x American eskimo (which are common in our area too)

I remember my aunt coming for a visit a few years back, who insisted that my Blossom is not a dalmatian border collie - but some sort of terrier. What?? People just like to be silly I think. :D

Members online

No members online now.