dog-friendly breeds

daaqa

lurking near the surface
so, i know there is a list of breeds that are known to be more DA than others. are there any particular breeds that are know to be more docile and social than others? [yes, i realize that it's never a guarantee and that it changes from dog to dog, but i am wondering tendencies in breeds in general.]

Its all in their socialzing as they grow up..
This is only partially true. You cannot buy a puppy out of a dog aggressive parent (mom or dad) and expect to never have a problem. Socializing is always important, but the temperaments of the parents matter too.

S

Squishy22

Its all in their socialzing as they grow up..

Agree completely.

My pit bulls great grand dad is a champion dog fighter. Reggin is part Gator. Neither his dad nor reggin is dog aggressive at all. I socialized reggin as a young pup. He was pretty easy to socialize. Just a little scared of dogs at first. He was the most timid pup of the litter, and I havent had any issues with him. His dad is 3 years old and hasnt had any problems with other dogs either.

On the other hand, I have met pit bulls and a couple other breeds at 8 weeks of age showing aggression towards other dogs. Obviously those pups would be harder to socialize.

I think its about how you socialize a dog and the individual dog. Some dogs are just more hard to socialize than others regardless of breed.

Breeds who's original purpose was to work in packs together tend to be more dogfriendly. For example, Siberian Huskies needed to work in teams to pull the sleds so it is essential they would get along with other dogs, and in general they do.

Saje

Island dweller
Out of all my dogs Maverick (newfie) is the most social. He loves EVERY dog. Hands down. He prefers other dogs to people I think. lol My GSD crossess are also very social but they can also be protective of me where other dogs are concerned. Mikey will accept dogs but not very easily. He likes to play on neutral territory but they better not try to get my attention!

Miakoda

Socialziation can help control behior issues such as DA, but it cannot change them. It's just like trying to change the color of your dog's coat.

As for breeds less likely to have a majority of DA dogs (remember, ALL breeds have DA dogs within the ranks), someone already brought up those that were bred to work in packs or teams. Scenthounds do quite well with other dogs (i.e. Beagles, Am. Foxhounds, Eng. Foxhounds, Bassetts, etc.). Sledding breeds do well also.

With my experience with labs & the like, I'm seeing a much higher incidence of DA within the breed.

Julie

I am back again.
I think neutering before maturity, lots of socialization among other dogs, and training help any dog to be dog-friendly. Even dogs known for great temperments with other dogs can become agitated or aggressive to other dogs. I know Rocket and Charlie are fine together, but add a strange dog to the mix, and there would be a small chance Charlie would end up in a fight, I really think this is a large part due to him being intact. And he will be getting neutered as soon as we get moved!
Rocket gets snappy with other strange dogs, but only if they get to close to us or the kids. She is not a dog fighter though...just gives a warning.

Rosefern

As for breeds that (as a generalization) are fairly dog-friendly, I'd say: Cocker Spaniels, Foxhounds, Mastiffs, Bassets, Beagles, Berneses, Bichons, Corgis, Cavaliers, Collies, Dachshunds, Setters, Springers, Goldens, Greyhounds, Wolfhounds, Lhasas, Poodles, Newfies, Retrievers (most), Shelties, Huskies, and Westies.

Now, this is from my own experience, and again, this is a generalization...just because I've never met a DA Poodle doesn't mean there isn't one out there.

-Rosefern

Greyhounds should be pretty dog friendly . . . though the ones I know are half and half. Why? Because Greyhounds are heavily socialized their whole lives . . . with other Greyhounds. Many Greys can't figure out what other breeds of dogs are, thus have a fear-based DA towards them. Some of my friends' Greys are so severely DA that even a Whippet is a dog to take offense at.

But what I wonder with these dogs is if they were socialized differently once off the track would they have a far lesser level of DA . . .

Alapahas are supposed to be relatively dog friendly, especially for a bulldog breed. But as always, I am skeptical of any bully breeds being considered dog friendly. But I have yet to meet an Alapaha that is DA . . . and yes, every single Alapaha I've met has been intact.

Miakoda

I'd be careful with Terriers..

I've only met a handful of terriers that are 100% dog friendly..
You're so true. Miakoda, an APBT, carries a scar on her nose from being attacked by my former 13 lb 15 yr old Cairn Terrier. My Cairn did NOT like other dogs, she did NOT want other dogs in the house, & she let her displeasure be known very well.:cool:

Sweet72947

Squishy face
I'd be careful with Terriers..

I've only met a handful of terriers that are 100% dog friendly..
Benji, my terrier, is dog friendly, but in certain situations he WILL put up a front with other dogs. He's very feisty that way. Although the trips to doggie daycare have helped with his socialization a lot. We think Benji is a schnauzer/dachshund mix. Both breeds are known to be feisty with other dogs.

I went to a dog show the other week, and the ONLY dog I heard get snarky with other dogs was a standard schnauzer.

wookie130

Well, I'll tell you, I second whoever said that the scent-hounds are great dog-friendly breeds. I have a little basset hound girl, Rita, and she's very docile, and loves other dogs, cats, children, people of all ages and gender. Same with my golden retriever, Melvin. This is just me speaking from my limited experience...but I can tell you I will always have a basset hound in my pack.

However, that being said, we did work hard with both dogs on their socialization to other dogs, cats, etc. Any breed can become dog-aggressive if improperly socialized.

Members online

No members online now.