How often do you cut nails?

Southpaw

orange iguanas.
Juno's nails get clipped whenever the clicking gets too loud. Her nails ALWAYS click, lol unless I actually removed the nail completely I don't see how it'd be possible for them not to... but when they start getting "too long", the sound changes. It's probably every couple weeks.

Lucy is whenever I think of it. She's kind of a pain so it just depends on if I feel like wrestling with her.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
I'd guess every 2-3 weeks. At least once a month when I do a full groom on them. I keep their nails longer than a lot of people I see for grip reasons. Oddly enough my dogs almost never need the back feet done, just the front. The dewclaw is the one I check to make sure they're not getting too long.

I actually did their nails and bath and feet trim today.

skittledoo

Crazy naked dog lady
Every 1-2 weeks. I may be weird, but I actually love doing nails. I clip dog nails every day pretty much at work and enjoy it.

CaliTerp07

Every 3-4 months? She gets them done when she goes to the groomers, or recently she's had them done when she's under anesthesia at the vets having her teeth pulled :rolleyes:

I've never done them myself. They never get ridiculously long, due to multiple daily walks on sidewalk and hard packed dirt I think.

BostonBanker

My guys get done every 1 - 2 weeks I'd say. Both are fine about having them done, but if I try to do them more often, I wind up looking at all the nails and not clipping them, because there isn't much of anything past the pink.

I'd love to try dremeling them, but I don't won't to spend the money on the tool to realize that both my dogs hate it!

Taqroy

Tipper's get done every 2-3 weeks and should get done every week. I have her file her nails though - I am terrified of quicking her since she hates having her feet handled and her nails are impossible to see through. So we compromise with the filing. Only her front nails have to be done, which is lucky because I don't know how we'd do the back.

Murphy and Mu I have never done, unless I need to trim a broken nail. Which is annoying because the two dogs that I could easily trim their nails don't need it, the one that thinks clippers are made of lava needs it a lot. :rolleyes:

meepitsmeagan

Meagan & The Cattle Dog Crew
Mine get done every 1-2 weeks. Harlow is super easy. She just sits there and lets me do them. Plus she has all white nails, so I can easily keep hers down. Rider isn't as good, though he is getting much better with a treat every nail. Before, he would fight and fight. Now he just acts like he's dying, but stays still. His nails are dark, and extremely long (whoever had him before we rescued him must not have touched them). So, I try to keep doing his weekly to work the quick back. I hate dark nails.

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
Not nearly enough. We were really good for a while, but it's a two person job and Ryan doesn't like the struggle. Plus we have to soak Frodo's nails in the tub for like 5 minutes first and then he wails and snarls the whole time we are doing it. And we can only do 1 paw at a time.

When we were doing good, we were trimming every day (stupid raw fed toenails!), one paw every single day.

Now I'm going to go soak his feet in the tub, thanks for reminding me!

Edit: DONE! :D

Last edited:

SpringerLover

I just trimmed Bailey's foot hair and did her nails this morning. She's gotten really sensitive about her front feet and I'm not sure why. She was trying to pull away pretty much the whole time. I'd stop, she'd think then offer her foot again but it was obviously painful, or at least uncomfortable, for her. Mrrg.

Dizzy

Sit! Good dog.
Bodhi, never. Never needed to, and she would never let me.

Fred's are dremeled every few weeks, maybe every 3. It takes two people, one to dremel and one to shovel in peanut butter!

How people do them multiple times a week is baffling! Do your dogs have any nail left??

Red.Apricot

Bodhi, never. Never needed to, and she would never let me.

Fred's are dremeled every few weeks, maybe every 3. It takes two people, one to dremel and one to shovel in peanut butter!

How people do them multiple times a week is baffling! Do your dogs have any nail left??
I've quicked Elsie before, so I just take off a teeny bit at a time.

Michiyo-Fir

Recently we don't even do them lol. I used to dremel once in a while but now just by running in a tennis court for about 10 min every week or two keeps them pretty short and trimmed.

The tennis court ground is rough and acts like sand paper I guess.

Brattina88

Every two weeks or so, kind of 'as needed'. When I hear them tick its time to clip!
In the spring/summer its less because we walk/run more :)

Shai

& the Muttly Crew
I nip off the ends every Sunday night, so once a week. Occasionally I'll skip a week if we have agility on dirt or turf the following weekend as I like to leave a little extra nail for them to grab the surface.

Kim has awful nails. No matter how often I do them they always look long.

Toller_08

Keep in mind that some dogs' nails grow a lot faster than others. If I left the Dobermans for 10+ days, they'd have talons. Their nails grow super fast. :)

If I could, I'd make them Sizzledog short (whose dogs always have my idea of perfect nails), which is nearly what they were when I did them every few days/multiple times a week. But now that I only do them once a week, the Dobes' nails still tap a bit on the floor by the next day or so. Not a constant "click, click, click", but not totally silent either.

Journey is one of those dogs that I could probably get away with only doing every couple of weeks or so. So far her nails just seem to stay nice and short for a while. But I take the edges off when I do everyone else's. Helps her get used to it and guarantees they don't get too long.

Dance's don't grow as quickly as the Dobermans, but they grow faster than Journey's. Her nails start to click at about day 4 or 5 after dremeling them.

I used to groom this other Toller who only got her nails done like 3 or 4 times a year, and I could take them right back. Her quicks just never grew. I was jealous of her haha. I wish my dogs had such easy care nails.

I'd share photo examples of their once weekly vs. two or three times weekly nails, but I don't seem to have any that show them very well unfortunately. I do try to keep them fairly short, though. Dance and Journey's are my ideal. Maybe one day I'll try getting the Dobermans' back to that point too, but it seems like a lot of effort for something that didn't seem to last, and it's not like they're really long. Just longer than my preference. But anyway, yes, they definitely do still have nail when done that often. Maybe not a lot, but enough to look pretty, be silent, and still be tractionally functional.

Shai

& the Muttly Crew
I'd love to try dremeling them, but I don't won't to spend the money on the tool to realize that both my dogs hate it!
For what it's worth, dremels (if you get a real dremel not one made for pet nails) are really useful tools to have around the house lol. I've used mine to file off sharp edges on a crate, cut drywall when replacement bathroom vent fans, etc.

In case you were looking for a reason ;)

Members online

No members online now.