Disc Dog Training

Ok, so since we have one for general training and one for agility I figured I would make one for disc dog with the hope that it'll keep us inspired and maybe inspire a few others!

Post video's, training updates, helpful video's/articles/tips, questions, anything that you feel like that's related to disc dog training!

Also, totally cheating and putting this in the picture forum so we can embed (Mods, it would be so much easier if we could just embed all around the forum)

Ready, set, GO!

SaraB

Here is Zing's go on the discs yesterday. We just added the go around's and she is more fluent on her clockwise go arounds than her counter-clockwise. I'm not using rollers because I wasn't getting a good response with her when I was using them, she would get bored and wander away a lot sooner. So even though I may have catching issues later to deal with, I'd rather get the drive up there now and worry about that later. We are also doing some line feeding, drops on cue, tugging as well as a little bit of flatwork.

<object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/vlQpTa6HvFY?version=3&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/vlQpTa6HvFY?version=3&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

SaraB

This video was taken several weeks ago, just highlighting some of the tricks I've been working on with Zuma. We've added quite a bit since this and have worked on flow in order to get a smoother freestyle routine.

<object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ZNNDNWChCbs?version=3&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ZNNDNWChCbs?version=3&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

jenv101

Bite Club
Totally interested in this for Aura - she has amazing ball catching skills that I'd like to transfer to a disc/frisbee.

JacksonsMom

This one is old-ish, but here was the last time I video'ed Jackson's progress... (i look terrible- had been swimming in pool all day, lol)

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/SDu2urgjcng" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Started with really short throws...

He is to the point now where he steadily chases them and retrieves them but he still lets them drop to the ground first THEN picks it up off the ground and brings it back.

So I just want him to get used to the catching aspect.

I think I'm going to start doing more rollers. He already knows 'come around' too.

I love this thread!

Yay! I hope others get interested because I don't want it to just be Sara and I talking to ourselves

I already posted these but I'll post them here.

This is my current spot with both Didgie and Traveler

Traveler

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/NfhOxS2vXxA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Didgie

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/zVTC3aK-IjM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

So Jackson is the cutest thing ever. And you need to get more video

JacksonsMom

Lol, I see you have the long line issue like me! When I'm at my moms house, he's on the long line and it's a pain in the butt (I'm constantly stepping over it, etc to make sure I don't accidentally step on it and stop him from catching it, lol)

Toller_08

I am definitely interested in this thread! I've never done any actual disc dog stuff, so that's all new to me, but my most favourite activity to play with my dogs is frisbee/disc. I wish disc dog events were bigger here so I could learn more about all the tricks and different things that are incorporated into it. I actually recently tried finding a club or something around here but had no luck.

I don't really have a dog at the moment with much talent, but Dance is always up for learning things and practicing anyway! And I love doing things with her, so even if we kinda suck compared to you guys, we can still have fun, haha.

Just got off the phone with a guy from the Windy City Disc Dog group. We've got a playdate next week so he can show me some stuff and introduce me into disc. And give me discs.

Yay!!

Also, phonecalls to people I don't know are awkward.

JacksonsMom

OK, now I'm looking at buying more discs.

I have been using the Jawz Pup Disc because every time I buy the cheaper plastic discs, Jackson destroys them within a day or two, and he's really not even rough on toys... it's just his teeth from picking it up, grabbing, etc. So the Jawz has been fantastic ... no teeth marks or anything. However, I think it may be a *tad* too heavy and that's maybe why he's intimidating when catching it from a long distance.

But I notice a considerable difference in how I'm capable of throwing with the jawz disc.. it just flies soooo much better than the cheap little ones from petco. So I want a few GOOD discs, but don't want to pay an arm and a leg -- the shipping sucks.

Was looking at the Pup Hyperflite discs but I'd be paying $26 w/ shipping just for 4 of those and one jawz disc (the "misprint" one even). I do need another jawz disc because my uncle's GSD put a crack in ours today ... she played REALLY hard with it though and it's obviously not her size! lol.

Anyways... suggestions on discs, at maybe a cheaper price?

OK, now I'm looking at buying more discs.

I have been using the Jawz Pup Disc because every time I buy the cheaper plastic discs, Jackson destroys them within a day or two, and he's really not even rough on toys... it's just his teeth from picking it up, grabbing, etc. So the Jawz has been fantastic ... no teeth marks or anything. However, I think it may be a *tad* too heavy and that's maybe why he's intimidating when catching it from a long distance.

But I notice a considerable difference in how I'm capable of throwing with the jawz disc.. it just flies soooo much better than the cheap little ones from petco. So I want a few GOOD discs, but don't want to pay an arm and a leg -- the shipping sucks.

Was looking at the Pup Hyperflite discs but I'd be paying $26 w/ shipping just for 4 of those and one jawz disc (the "misprint" one even). I do need another jawz disc because my uncle's GSD put a crack in ours today ... she played REALLY hard with it though and it's obviously not her size! lol.

Anyways... suggestions on discs, at maybe a cheaper price?
I don't know anything about different discs but Sara told me to wait to buy any before I found a club and disc dog people because more than likely they have group discounts.

I'm happy I listened to her, in the phone call I just had he offered to bring me discs because he has a ton.

JacksonsMom

I don't know anything about different discs but Sara told me to wait to buy any before I found a club and disc dog people because more than likely they have group discounts.

I'm happy I listened to her, in the phone call I just had he offered to bring me discs because he has a ton.
Nice!

Unsure I'd ever join a club... I don't think Jackson will ever be THAT into it unfortunately. He's more of a food mongrel :p but I'll keep lookin'!

Btw, figured I'd add it... my uncle brought his GSD over today and she immediately caught on to disc! We were so happy. He went right to Petsmart and bought her a frisbee! haha.

Here she is:

SaraB

We use just your general fastbacks and can get them from my club for around $2 a disc. Even if you don't want to a join a club (even though I HIGHLY recommend it!) you can contact them to see if they have discs for sale. Also, you don't have to have an awesome disc dog to join clubs, they help with everything including and most importantly throwing. I think the majority of our playdates are spent working on different throws.

I gave Linds a couple Hero Distance discs I had that I didn't really like and I think a Jawz. My dogs do just fine with the fastbacks so we don't need the stronger discs.

SaraB

Here's one of my favorite resources when it comes to everything disc dog. Pawsitive Vybe (Pvybe) and Ron Watson are amazing about putting up youtube videos explaining different throws, foundation work, catches and tricks. They have playlists organized for different skills building so it's easy to find what you need.

http://www.youtube.com/user/k9disc/videos?flow=grid&view=1

I gave Linds a couple Hero Distance discs I had that I didn't really like and I think a Jawz. My dogs do just fine with the fastbacks so we don't need the stronger discs.
The guy I spoke to last night recommended Fastbacks. After he asked me what discs you gave me and I went "uuuuhhhh, one changes purple in the sun."

I'm pretty sure he got off the phone and said "Well, good thing you don't need intelligence to throw a disc."

Also Didgie has decided that the go around is a race to see if she can grab and tug the disc before it leaves my hands. She whips around the side of me jumps up and jaws start snapping. She scares me.

SaraB

Also Didgie has decided that the go around is a race to see if she can grab and tug the disc before it leaves my hands. She whips around the side of me jumps up and jaws start snapping. She scares me.
Throw faster! That disc should be out of your hand before she finishes that go around... and before she launches herself at it in your hand. :rofl1:

Tell him you have a couple Hero distance discs, he'll probably be impressed. LOL

Throw faster! That disc should be out of your hand before she finishes that go around... and before she launches herself at it in your hand. :rofl1:

Tell him you have a couple Hero distance discs, he'll probably be impressed. LOL
I need eyes in back of my head! I'm still hesitating because I'm not sure if she's committed to going around until she hits my side at which point she launches herself.

I do better when I'm kneeling because I can see her better and get a better flow. I also seem to get bit less :rofl1:

Traveler showing off that he can actually catch! We're just working on him learning to judge how to catch them now.

And yes, he does feel the need to go poop on a tree branch.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ZQEHSmKGbK0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

And Didgie. Wasn't that great, I was off and she was scattered and evil.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/FNvkymEwpmQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

JacksonsMom

Trav had some GREAT catches there! He's too awesome... I just love him so much.

I'll probably do some videos next week w/ Jackson when the humidity is supposed to chill out, and get down to the 60's. It's been hot and humid again, gross. Not AS bad as early summer but just really humid and blegh and makes us both unmotivated to stay outside for a long time lol.

Members online

No members online now.