May 4: Diamond recall expanded again...

JacksonsMom

http://truthaboutpetfood.com/articles/diamond-pet-foods-issues-voluntary-recall-of-dry-pet-food.html

Diamond Pet Foods Issues Voluntary Recall of Dry Pet Food

Recall is limited to product manufactured between December 9, 2011 through April 7, 2012 and distributed to 16 states and Canada

05/04/12

Diamond Pet Foods has issued a voluntary recall of limited batches of their Diamond and Diamond Naturals dry pet food formulas manufactured between December 9, 2011, and April 7, 2012 due to Salmonella concerns. Diamond Pet Foods apologizes for any potential issues this may have caused pet owners and their pets.

Although none of the products being recalled have tested positive for Salmonella, the company is pulling them from store shelves as a precaution. Diamond Pet Foods is coordinating efforts with federal and state health and regulatory agencies but decided to independently expand the recall to ensure the safety and well-being of customers and their pets.

To determine if your pet food is recalled, consumers should check the production codes on the back of bags. Any production codes that have a number “2†or a “3†in the 9th or 10th digit and an “X†in the 11th digit in the production code should be discarded. The best before dates are December 9, 2012, through April 7, 2013.

The recall affects only products distributed in the following U.S. states and Canada. Further distribution to other pet food channels may have occurred.

Alabama

Florida

Georgia

Indiana

Kentucky

Massachusetts

Maryland

Michigan

Mississippi

New York

North Carolina

Ohio

Pennsylvania

South Carolina

Tennessee

Virginia

Canada

Pet owners who are unsure if the product they purchased is included in the recall, or who would like replacement product or a refund, may contact Diamond Pet Foods via a toll free call at 1-866-918-8756, Monday through Sunday, 8 am – 6pm EST. Consumers may also go to diamondpetrecall.com for more information. The company is working with distributors and retailers to ensure all affected product is removed from shelves.

Pets with Salmonella infections may have decreased appetite, fever and abdominal pain. If left untreated, pets may be lethargic and have diarrhea or bloody diarrhea, fever and vomiting. Infected but otherwise healthy pets can be carriers and infect other animals or humans. If your pet has consumed the recalled product and has these symptoms, please contact your veterinarian. We do not have any confirmed reports of pet illnesses.

Individuals handling dry pet food can become infected with Salmonella, especially if they have not thoroughly washed their hands after having contact with surfaces exposed to this product. Healthy people who believe they may have been exposed to Salmonella should monitor themselves for some or all of the following symptoms: nausea, vomiting, diarrhea or bloody diarrhea, abdominal cramping and fever. According to the Centers for Disease Control, people who are more likely to be affected by Salmonella include infants, children younger than 5 years old, organ transplant patients, people with HIV/AIDS and people receiving treatment for cancer. The U.S. Centers for Disease Control (CDC) have received a limited number of reports of salmonellosis, the illness caused by Salmonella. We are working with the CDC, but due to patient confidentiality, we cannot comment further.

Southpaw

orange iguanas.
Wellness large breed puppy is recalled and apparently some Natural Balance is going to be, too... just because they are manufactured in the same plant, they didn't actually test positive for salmonella.

Southpaw

orange iguanas.
Basically anything that's been manufactured at that plant is being pulled. So companies should stop using Diamond plants....

Barb04

Super Moderator
Wellness, Eagle Pack, Natural Balance & Canidae are manufactured there too.

crazedACD

I really hate to do this over 'one' incident, but I'm saying goodbye to Diamond-made products. If these brands choose to go with another manufacturer, I would be interested, but no more Diamond for me.

Off to Fromm I go.

Izzy's Valkyrie

Very Food Agressive
I really hate to do this over 'one' incident, but I'm saying goodbye to Diamond-made products. If these brands choose to go with another manufacturer, I would be interested, but no more Diamond for me.

Off to Fromm I go.
Me too. We're making the switch to Before Grain Salmon (Merrick) for both the cat and dogs. I just don't like having to wonder all the time about their food!

AllieMackie

Wookie Collie
I've spent the weekend at a huge pet food purchasing show for my franchise(I'm still here) and the mass voluntary recalls happened smack dab in the middle of the fray. Infuriated store owners everywhere, worried TOTW, NB, Wellness and Canidae reps trying to claim their foods are okay... It's been a tense day. We're focusing our energy on press releases and switching customers to Canadian brands.

I'll elaborate later. Our Petcurean guys invited us out to the pub. :D we need it after today, eeeesh!

Whisper

Kaleidoscopic Eye
I'm getting so sick of these recalls. I would love to feed raw but it looks like I might even be driven to it out of necessity anyway. I need to find somebody to buy from. . .

Maxy24

How long do you think these foods will be pulled from stores for? I don't think my parents want to switch off of TOTW, I'm not 100% sure how I feel. If they could afford Acana or NV Instinct I'd want them to switch but I don't think they can. TOTW is a good quality for the price I would like to at least have a look around at prices and perhaps give Earthborn a try though and that will only happen if they keep the food pulled for another week or so so that my parents can't buy the TOTW at the store when they need it.

Izzy's Valkyrie

Very Food Agressive
How long do you think these foods will be pulled from stores for? I don't think my parents want to switch off of TOTW, I'm not 100% sure how I feel. If they could afford Acana or NV Instinct I'd want them to switch but I don't think they can. TOTW is a good quality for the price I would like to at least have a look around at prices and perhaps give Earthborn a try though and that will only happen if they keep the food pulled for another week or so so that my parents can't buy the TOTW at the store when they need it.

I went with Before Grain because it's the closest in price to TOTW at least at our store of choice. Maybe look into that? Also, the chicken flavor of Instict is the same price for a large bag though it holds slightly less.

Southpaw

orange iguanas.
I've had such a day trying to explain this recall to people today...it's been crazy. People are really upset.
I'm glad I didn't work this weekend lol. None of our stock was affected, except for one bag of Wellness LB Puppy, but I don't know how reassuring that is to people. I still wouldn't want to feed any of the brands associated with the recall.

crazedACD

I'm glad I didn't work this weekend lol. None of our stock was affected, except for one bag of Wellness LB Puppy, but I don't know how reassuring that is to people. I still wouldn't want to feed any of the brands associated with the recall.
We had a pallet full of ToTW, Chicken Soup, and Premium Edge recalled bags. Honestly, it was the same ToTW that we were telling everyone was OK and not recalled last week...and that bothers me. I hope people understand it isn't our fault :(.

On another note, our other dog food stock is totally diminished. Blue Buffalo is just about sold out.

AllieMackie

Wookie Collie
We had a pallet full of ToTW, Chicken Soup, and Premium Edge recalled bags. Honestly, it was the same ToTW that we were telling everyone was OK and not recalled last week...and that bothers me. I hope people understand it isn't our fault :(.

On another note, our other dog food stock is totally diminished. Blue Buffalo is just about sold out.
All of this, especially the bolded.

Our TOTW distributor halted all deliveries when they found out the facility was shut down, but then announced that they had lots of food for shipment. My boss ordered $700 worth in one order (our store averages $300 weekly for TOTW regularily).

Three days later, this.

After assuring customers ten times over that TOTW is not affected.

While it isn't our fault, customers sure as hell don't see it that way sometimes. :(

Hillside

Original Twin
I went with Before Grain because it's the closest in price to TOTW at least at our store of choice. Maybe look into that? Also, the chicken flavor of Instict is the same price for a large bag though it holds slightly less.
Though the bag is a little smaller, the calorie count per cup is higher. NV Instinct, chicken is 490 and TOTW if you average out the varieties is about 360. This would be better info if I could figure out how many cups were in each bag. :rofl1:

Barb04

Super Moderator
My friend went to the Pet Supermarket chain and they removed all Diamond products from their shelves even if they were good bags. Our Tractor Supply had a sale this past week and usually the bags good quickly but this time weren't.

I've seen on some boards that people are changing to Earthborn Holistic.

Members online

No members online now.