How to feed raw?

juliefurry

Rusty but Trusty
I was wondering how you feed raw food, what needs to be included in the diet other than meat? I give Hannah raw bones and meat once or twice a week and I would like to do it more but don't know how to make sure she gets the correct nutrients and stuff. She really loves her raw meals and I was hoping to start giving her more. I just don't know how to correctly give her raw and still making sure she doesn't lack anything important. What is good meat to give to dogs? The store I get her food from sells raw bones and I think some meat too but I am not sure. I have been giving her the beef soup bones and she just ate oxtail for the first time yesterday.

Last edited:
When we feed our dogs raw it is going to be a recipe made by our veterinarian. It includes meat (turkey and/or chicken), organ meat, eggs at least 1 to 2 times a week, shredded vegetables, and supplements such as alfafa and flax seed oil. They also get marrow bones once a week and the occasional can of tuna.

juliefurry

Rusty but Trusty
Tuna and Hannah is a deadly combination. She admits so much toxic gas that you have to clear the room for days. I should ask my vet, but he's more in the market of selling the science diet. So I wouldn't be surprised if he tries to convince me that science diet is better

You don't have to feed tuna if you don't want to - I just give it as a little treat every now and then.

Maybe you could find a holistic veterinarian in your area and talk to them about raw diets?

Puppy

Bernese Mountain Dog!
a raw diet isnt a vege diet is it? i thought it included meats.

Some people feed vegetarian diets, some feed completely meat diets. I will be feeding raw meat and vegetables.

beagle_lovergirl

Stare at my avatar....
Sometimes it needs extra Enzymes :) This is Belly's recipe (I change it when I don't have any more of it left)

2 peeled bananas cut into thin slices
1 lb of meat (chicken and turkey mostly)
2 sliced carrots
1 apple peeled and cut into tiny pieces
2 eggs, shell and all
1 peeled and diced potato
Couple spoons of pumpkin

Dump everything in a blender or a food processor and blend until it's all mushy. Put it in a ziplock and freeze it.

I add about a quarter cup of it to her Innova EVO everyday. I also put in fish oil :)

Mordy

Quigleyfied
i would not recommend that anyone jump inot feeding their dog a raw diet without consulting a few good books. yes, there's a lot of free information out there on the internet, but not all of it is reliable.

some people push what i call a "whatever diet", feeding a number of certain items, but i've analyzed a few such recipes and almost all of them came up short in some of the critical nutrients. i believe that the best foundation for a home prepared diet is the data provided by the national research council, you can find a version that's easier to read here.

i do not recommend feeding tuna, these large fish prey on smaller ones and heavy metal contamination can be quite high. you will be far better off safety and price wise feeding canned sardines or mackerel. canned wild caught (not farmed) salmon is also a good alternative.

not many vets are properly trained in nutrition. if you don't feel safe composing a diet with help of a good book (like monica segal's "K9 kitchen your dog's diet: the truth behind the hype"), look for a vet who is board certified in nutrition.

Last edited:
Y

yuckaduck

Mordy said:
i would not recommend that anyone jump inot feeding their dog a raw diet without consulting a few good books. yes, there's a lot of free information out there on the internet, but not all of it is reliable.

some people push what i call a "whatever diet", feeding a number of certain items, but i've analyzed a few such recipes and almost all of them came up short in some of the critical nutrients. i believe that the best foundation for a home prepared diet is the data provided by the national research council, you can find a version that's easier to read .

i do not recommend feeding tuna, these large fish prey on smaller ones and heavy metal contamination can be quite high. you will be far better off safety and price wise feeding canned sardines or mackerel. canned wild caught (not farmed) salmon is also a good alternative.

not many vets are properly trained in nutrition. if you don't feel safe composing a diet with help of a good book (like monica segal's "K9 kitchen your dog's diet: the truth behind the hype"), look for a vet who is board certified in nutrition.

I would love to take a look at this website because we would seriously like to add some raw to Yukon's diet but unsure how as well! Your link is not working!

Y

yuckaduck

Thank you very much, great information. I am thinking of trying to supplement some raw into the kibble diet. I simply cannot afford to feed straight raw but if I could even supplement some into his diet it would be better than none. Thanks for the link.

Mordy

Quigleyfied
even a little is better than none. :)

if you want to add something to the kibble, the best thing would be giving raw meaty bones - these are bones that are consumed completely, not just chewed on for fun. they are the best thing to keep teeth clean.

For a bit of brevity . . . Mine do prefer their EVO to anything raw - even meat - but I like to give them some raw food a couple of times a week, including bones.

The way you feed Bimmer raw is you offer it to him and tell him to "grab it and growl," meaning he'd best take it off and growl at the grrrls if they get near. He takes it very gently and even gingerly, pulling his lips back from his teeth and carrying the meat off to a quiet corner or under a bush to leisurely pull it apart.

To feed Kharma raw food you notice that she sits about three feet from her dish with her eyes huge and expectant, the very tip of her tail quivering in expectation. Hand her a chunk of meat and put the rest in her dish, making sure that Shiva is in the laundry room before doing so.

To feed Shiva raw, make sure she's secured in the laundry room while the others get their portions. Shiva gets fed last because knowing Kharma already is started on her food and has a head start removes the impetus for Shiva to eat hers whole in hopes of bullying Kharma out of anything left. Open the laundry room door, being sure to ask Shiva where her manners are before openning the door beyond a crack. Hand Shiva a piece of the meat, being sure you tell her to be gentle first and make certain all fingers are out of the way, then drop the rest of the food into her bowl and shut the door.

And that is how you feed raw at my wild animal preserve . . . :D

Added some already made raw to the girls food today...dumped it on top of their kibble and added hot water :). They're full now.

Members online

No members online now.