heart worm medicine fight other worms?

supaspic

Hi guys I got a problem. Today I found Tidus with his face in a 1/2 opened can of cat food I found. I own 2 cats at home and I guess they knocked over a can and the collision with the floor opened the can. The food was rotting and had what looked like worms on it. Maggots? I dont think so, I think it could have been Tapeworms. Anyways I'm gonna watch Tidus closely today and check his stools and the fur around his anus. The only thing is that Tidus has HeartGuard and I remember the vet telling me that it kills other worm along with heartworms. Is this true? Tidus is scheduled for another heartworm med. this week, I'm thinking about giving it to him today. I am not gonna shy away from the vet. check-up though if he does end up having worm, but I wanted to know if heartguard fights them too?

Heartgard Plus is 100% effective against heartworms; and it controls roundworms and hookworms. There is also Heartgard regular - that is only good for heartworm.

you would need panacur or drontol+ to kill tapes
maybe flagyl does too not sure about that one

Julie

I am back again.
Where were the worms seen? The rotten food or the dogs stool?

If they were in the can, they are not tapeworms, they are maggots. And although digusting the pup will probably be fine. I am not that experienced with maggots, but I have not heard of any internal worms passed from maggot to dog. If the dog ate any I assume they would be digested and done.

If you are still worried, give your vet a call.

Best of Luck,
Julie.

Y

yuckaduck

I use Ivomac so I don't have to worry at all about worms because it looks after them. If you are worried call your vet.

I am pretty sure Ivomac and Ivomec only kills external parasites
I give 1/2 cc of Ivomec to mine monthly for heart worm, verify this with your vet and let me know please

thanks
Bonnie

I had a huge thought about my last post here!
if Ivomec only kills external parasites, how can it kill heart worm?
hmmmmmmmm so I did some research and I was WRONG :eek:

IVOMEC Kills internal and external parasites - Worms, Sucking Lice

Bonnie

Last edited:
Y

yuckaduck

GSDMom said:
I am pretty sure Ivomac and Ivomec only kills external parasites
I give 1/2 cc of Ivomec to mine monthly for heart worm, verify this with your vet and let me know please

thanks
Bonnie

Yup same thing here, the vet told me it is for preventative heartworm and other internal worms. It does not kill heartworm if the dog already has it, it is a preventative just like heart guard. A heartworm can swim in Ivomac and not be bothered at all. Just like if the dog has heartworm, Heartguard will not cure it. I have never used Ivomec it is Ivomac that I use. THe injectable swine or cattle one but it is given orally to dogs. Please be advised that Collies should never ever use this drug, just in case someone is reading this and thinks of trying it. Collies, Shelties, Border Collies----it can kill them because Ivomac interferrs with their brain barrier.

Edited in: I just had a look at the bottle I use on vets' advice---it is ivomectrin that is the active ingredient

supaspic

(DO NOT READ FOR THE WEAK OF STOMACH)

well...it turns out that Tidus is fine, I saw no stomach aches or any sign of any other "wormage"(?), so it seems that he probably just had a nice taste of maggots. Why do dogs have to eat everything???:rolleyes:

Y

yuckaduck

GSDMom said:
thats ok Titus they eat maggots on FEAR FACTOR ;)
The buffalo testies did it for me, I never watched that show again. But was not offended by maggot eating dogs because they eat their own poo so that is gross enough.

doberkim

Naturally Natural
the active ingredient is ivermectin, and the "brand name" is ivomec that is commonly sold as both cattle and sheep drench, pour on, oral, injectable, etc.

ivomec/ivermectin does not cover ALL internal parasites, so there are some you still need to worry about (off the top of my head whipworms, giardia, coccidia, etc)

Y

yuckaduck

doberkim said:
the active ingredient is ivermectin, and the "brand name" is ivomec that is commonly sold as both cattle and sheep drench, pour on, oral, injectable, etc.

ivomec/ivermectin does not cover ALL internal parasites, so there are some you still need to worry about (off the top of my head whipworms, giardia, coccidia, etc)
Ivomac is the one I use, I read it right off the bottle and it is spelled with an a not an e, but the active ingredient is ivermectin and my vet told me it covered everything except tape worm.

femke

lol yeah what they can get into eh...

you pretty much got all the information that you needed:D I just wanted to add to always keep a close eye on. When we first got Penny I was totally convinced she couldn't have worms coz she had been de-wormed by the breeder's vet (I had proof of that) but she had bloody stool etc. the day after we got her so I took her to the vet right away and they tested her stool... she had worms!!! They explained to me that not all de-worming medication takes care of all kinds of worms, she had been treated with a very commonly used de-worming medication by vets and it took care of round worm tape worm etc. but not the hookworms she had been infected with :( so she got some different stuff to take care of that.

Our vet got us the Advantage stuff against flea's that also takes care of heartworm etc.

Glad to hear your tidus is okay tho!!!:) and yeah I agree, is there more pictures??? he's so cute!!

doberkim

Naturally Natural
advantage is NOT for heartworms - its only flea control. please double check your vet, maybe you misunderstood or they misspoke - do not rely on it for heartworm preventative!

and like i said, ivermectin does not cover everything. what it covers is pretty much just roundworms and hookworms. which is what heartgard, for instance, is licensed to cover aside from heartworm preventative.

bubbatd

I use Interceptor .... for the heart worms etc. Tapeworms being from fleas have to be treated on their own. I have never had any pup leave my care with any worms in all my years of breeding. All my adults were worm free , therefore the pups born that way . I always had the pup's stools checked twice before going " home" . Never positive. I learned this in 1964 when a pup I bought had worms..... no excuse !!!

filarotten

Fila the love
My three are on interceptor. According to the package, it reads, "to prevent heartworm disease, control adult hookworm infections, and remove and control adult roundworms and whipworms in dogs and puppies, and to prevent heartworm disease and remove adult hookworms and roundworms in cats and kittens."
Guess that means they can get worms, but when they reach adults it will kill them.

I panacur mine every 6 months (my Vet Recomended)
Ivomec is for heart worm, mosquitos spread heart worm and we have them pretty thick here sometimes

Last edited:

Members online