So I'm gonna get a camera

mrose_s

BusterLove
Woo, finally have some money to play with. Probably shouldn't be spending a few hundred on a camera but I think I have enough reasons.

1. I want some decent pics of Buster
2. This is a beautiful part of the country, it displays all four seasons beautifully.
3. I have my cousins wedding in 4 weeks and am going to see most of my family, some of which I havn't seen in 4 years + and I want to take some pictures.
4. Christmas coming up, I want some family shots
5. Just after new years I'm probably going to go up and see mum, I can get some pics of their horses and the dogs to bring back with me. Especially Sophie, I don't think she has a long time left and I want to have a go at capturing her.

So thats me justifying it.. plus I've wanted a good camera for like 2 years so I'm just gonna get myself one.

Still, I probably don't want to be spending more than $800 tops and would prefer something closer to $500 but I dunno if thats going to happen. I was just looking at Nikon D60's on Ebay and it seems to be generally around $770. There are a couple for considerably less but they have a few days left to bid so they'll likley go up.

I'm gonna ask for your guys help on this because I'm really a total beginner and I just don't want to walk into a shop and end up buying something I regret later.

I'll want to be taking mostly outdoors animal shots, so probably a fair bit of action. But I also want to capture the landscape around the area.

These are a couple I was looking at.

Nikon D60 + 18-55 VR Barely Used All Box Contents Incl. - eBay, Digital SLR, Digital Cameras, Cameras. (end time 06-Nov-09 20:32:46 AEDST)

Nikon D60 Digital Camera with 18-55mm lens - eBay, Digital SLR, Digital Cameras, Cameras. (end time 06-Nov-09 17:18:02 AEDST)

BRAND NEW Nikon D60+ 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G ED II Lense KIT - eBay, Digital SLR, Digital Cameras, Cameras. (end time 05-Nov-09 21:37:34 AEDST)

4. - a D90
Nikon D90 + 18-105 VR Kit + 8GB SD - eBay, Digital SLR, Digital Cameras, Cameras. (end time 06-Nov-09 20:30:34 AEDST)

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Gena

I've had good luck with b&h camera. Their used stuff has always been in great condition for me. A d60 body and a Nikon Zoom Wide Angle-Telephoto 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6G ED-IF AF-S DX lens (just grabbed one that I might pick) ships to Australia via UPS for $633 and some change.

2pups622

Soon to Be 4 Pups!!
Go for the D90 So you won't have len's picking problem's in the future I'm going threw that now Trying to find lenses with a motor that don't cost $500. Go with the D90.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
I think if you're just into doing basic things the D60 or D40x would be more than enough camera for you.

I messed with a D90 and it was a great camera. I haven't been disappointed with my D60 though at all and it would do the job you're talking about well. The kit lens I have I don't care for so I'd save up for a better lens but my kit lens took good pics for a long time. I just realized once I got my Tamron that I was missing out with my other lens, lol. The D90 is quite a price difference from the D60 so if you're looking at just wanting to be in the $500-$800 range, you won't find it with the D90 I don't think. The D90 kits on there are all $1200+.

Eventually I'll upgrade to maybe a D300 (I loooove messing with those lol). But if you want to see what a D60 can do in the hands of a total amateur (lol) my pics are almost all taken with the D60. There are a lot of people on this forum with D40s, D40x, D60s

ETA: I wonder why that D90 is only $444. The others are way more expensive.

Lizmo

Water Junkie
Okay, what's wrong with the D90? Only $444? Something is wrong.

xpaeanx

D90s are usually WAY expensive..... something seems off that it's only $444.

If you're looking to stay on a budget, I would get the D60. It's a GREAT camera, and it takes some really amazing pictures!

mrose_s

BusterLove
Okay, happy with a D60.
But thats really all I know I'm looking for, I have no idea what the lenses mean yet. The standard one seems to be the 18-55mm, will that be enough to play around with for a few months while I save up for a second one?
Is $770 a decent price for an Ebay D60 without getting ripped off?

elegy

overdogged
i bought my d60 as a refurb off adorama.com and i could not be happier with it. i got the camera and a refurbished 55-200mm lens for just under $500 iirc.

mrose_s

BusterLove
I emailed them, they said it was no longer available.
If I bought another one I'd have to buy a lens seperatley and it would still end up costing me over $700 so I might just go back to llooking at australian sellers for now.

2pups622

Soon to Be 4 Pups!!
Check craigslist you may even find someone close & you can pick it up.

mrose_s

BusterLove
I just ordered one, I asked around on an Australian forum I'm on and ended up getting a Canon EOS 450D. Can't wait for it to arrive! XD

I have a Nikon D40 that was given to me. I shot several pictures with it that won honorable mentions. My weenie avator for one. The Nikon D40 is quite capable of making you some good money for your photographs. Altho I have not tried yet.

I know you said you wanted some great pictures of your fur kids. It does that quite well. Say one just rolled in the grass. There are pieces of dry grass in their fur. I shot off a quickie of his eye and face close up. The grass in the fur just added that extra depth that kept the photo quite 'real'.

I am very happy with it. I do some macro of flowers, bees, etc. with it well also. I love how sensitive it is with rapid fire shots with two of my dogs playing. I have many mid air jumping shots, etc. The crystal clear clarity is awesome.

You can really pop off some great 'accident' type shots. Some of my best shots such as dog eyes and facial closeups haven't had much time to compose, but look like I had all the time in the world. When working with dogs, they don't stop and give you time to compose the shot.

I have been a photographer for 27 years or so. The D40 is still impressive. It will give you a great chance to hone your skills. I love how I can turn off the auto stuff and play with doing things manually like I did for most of my photographic years. :) You can still do that with this camera. None of us ever quit learning but only get better.

Best of luck,

Ruth

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.