Loose leash

When I got bear about 2 months ago he was not leash trained at all by his previous owners but her knew how to walk nicely on a leash and he didn't drag you around everywhere. Over the past week I've noticed he's starting pulling on the leash. I'm not really sure why but it's getting worse each day. So I've started basically from the beginning and starting loose leash training. Just after 10 minutes he caught on to what I wanted him to do. He's not pulling as much anymore. Of course I don't want him to pull at all so we'll be working on this until it's fixed.

I haven't been doing anything different than I did when I first got him so I'm confused why all of a sudden he started jerking me around on the leash. I know that he wasn't taught but he knew how to walk nicely on a leash even without being trained.

Any ideas as to what may have happened? He's doing better now though :)

mrose_s

BusterLove
how old is he? if he is just growing up maybe it was him pushing his dominance boundaries or just seeing how far you would let him go

sourjayne

The more confident my dog is, like when we're on our way back home and he knows where we're going, the more he tries to pull to get there faster.

My guess is your dog was deferring to you when he didn't know where you were taking him. Now he's getting into the routine and is feeling more confident and less needy to look to you for where to go.

I doubt he "knew" how to walk on a leash politely, I think he was just being cautious, and now he doesn't feel he needs to be cautious anymore, he's being excited and happy. So he now needs the leash training so he learns what's acceptable.

Just my guess...

Members online

No members online now.