Chaz Moms and Moms-to-Be Chat (everyone welcome)

darkchild16

We are Home.
Weird. I dont remember a thing about it anywhere but then again I didn't actively seek it out. I didnt feel like eating half the time I was pregnant and when I did I wanted CERTAIN things so I wasnt going to limit it even further.

Grab

I wasn't concerned about the extremely low risk of listeria. I did eat cold cuts. I did not eat hot dogs (except one time) just for nitrates reasons. But even that wasn't much of a worry (I just am not a huge fan of hot dogs:p) I don't eat things like bologna, etc, but that's a personal preference.

I take anything listed on the CDC site with a grain of salt as I'm fairly convinced that they think everyone should live in a bubble lest everything in the environment kill them.

My doctor is pretty thorough, although not very paranoid and he (nor any of the other doctors in the in the practice) didn't recommend against it. And my very crunch pregnant coworker eats Subway frequently, lol.

GipsyQueen

I would like to just take a moment and brag on being the best friend in the world.

Babyshower rolled around for one of my friends baby boy.. I had NO idea what to get him so just searched "baby" and the highest reviewed item on amazon and got him this

a line from an email his parents just wrote me

"We are naming the next child after you. I don't know what kind of crack is in that thing but he loves it. It's the only thing that stops him from screaming. Where did you get it? We need 10 more. We almost lost it at mommy and me and Matt nearly held the place up like "EVERYBODY FREEZE!! NOBODY LEAVES UNTIL WE FIND THAT GIRAFFE!"

Lol baby shower success! All for less than $20.
I'd be *really* carefull with that giraffe. Not to be a debby downer, but aparently they aren't all to healthy. They contain Nitrosatable amines which can turn into carcinogenic nitrosamines - which can cause cancer.

GipsyQueen

Can't edit anymore... :

"he November 2011 issue of German consumer magazine Öko-Test reported that Sophie the Giraffe was should not be sold in Germany due to a violation of statutory limit values for nitrosatable substances. The test found 0.781 mg/kg, while the German Bedarfsgegenständeverordnung (BedGgstV) consumer food and product standard provides for a limit of 0.1 mg/kg. Vulli initially said that another regulation applies, the EU guidelines for toys, with a limit of 1 mg/kg, and obtained a preliminary injunction of the District Court in Berlin banning publication of Öko-Test's report. The story was removed from the magazine's website. This injunction was lifted in January 2012. The Chemische und Veterinäruntersuchungsamt Stuttgart (CVUA) reproduced Öko-Test's claims resulting in the German Technischer Überwachungsverein (TÜV) safety agency pressing charges against Vulli, and Öko-Test restored the online report to their web site. Vulli responded by recalling Sophie the Giraffe and similar products from German retailers, and offering to exchange it with one produced on or after March 2012, which Vulli says adhere to the stricter German limit.[4]"

Romy

Taxiderpy
I didn't eat soft cheeses or cold cuts either pregnancy.

The first time around the smell of either made me puke. Otherwise I wasn't aware of the risk.

The second time around my midwife told me right away to stay away from it. At the time there was a really bad listerosis outbreak in the county that stemmed from cold cuts. She said it could result in stillborn or miscarriage, and since I was on the brink of a miscarriage anyway there wasn't anything on earth that could convince me the risk was worth it.

Other than alcohol and large amounts of caffeine, I haven't been avoiding foods. I agree that some of the recommendations are a bit alarmist.

I don't eat a ton of cold cuts anyways because I have gout, but I've also been eating some sushi too. (gasp!) I try to stick with veggie ones but now and then I'll throw in some fish ones.

milos_mommy

See, I wouldn't worry about mercury or anything, unless you're eating tuna and swordfish twice a week, and always thought that not eating sushi during pregnancy was silly (they do it all the time in Asia) until I found out it's more about bacteria/contamination than it is about mercury.

Also....what if something DID happen? If I contracted listeria while pregnant because of something I KNEW was a risk to eat, and something happened to the baby, I would never ever forgive myself for it.

-bogart-

Member of WHODAT Nation.
I have twin 4 yr old girls and one is heavier than the other. 25 lbs to be exact. . Ginnie is 50 lbs and Torie is 76,

How do i fix it? Torie seems to have an appetite that wont stop and Ginnie just is a pickier eater.
They have the exact same exercise , or even Ginnie may actually move less , But Torie is on the go all the time.
They are about 3 ft tall. There dada took them to the docotor this am and told me the weights and I am shocked

How can I fix this , I know dieting is hard in adults , I am fat as it is. I try to have them eat healthier , but how
do I tell the kid Not to eat when they are hungry, It goes against my every instinct.

They started school in august and she has gained some weight since the begining of school. I guess because they dont run all day like she does at home.

Any ideas? help. there Doctor told me to feed her less. how the hell am i supposed to do that?

-bogart-

Member of WHODAT Nation.
i do that , they dont really get much junk , they do love fruit and nuts. Torie is built the same way , wide shoulders and very square. Ginnie is more hours glassy. lol.

I just worry since it si such a marked diffrence between twins. but i try and realize every kid is diffrent. she does not loose her breath easy or anything like that.

what are some filling healthy food to try out?

milos_mommy

Make sure she's drinking a ton of water...if she says she's hungry for a snack, give her a glass of water and wait ten or fifteen minutes, if she's still hungry, offer a healthy snack.

Make sure all the breads, pastas, etc they're eating is whole grain. That makes a big difference, fills them up faster, etc. Offer salads, veggies, and lower-sugar fruits (berries are a good one) before meals and serve salad/veggies before you serve the meats and carbs.

crazedACD

As long as the foods are wholesome and healthy I wouldn't worry too much. Make sure that there is very little junk/sugar.
This is my first time opening this thread (and I won't have kids, so it is a moot point for me)...but I want to throw something out there.

When I was a kid my food was fairly restricted. My mom didn't bake much, didn't keep 'sweet' things in the house, no soda, little fast food, etc. But, during holidays, birthdays, celebrations, special events...I was allowed this stuff. I really think it built an association with happiness=junk food=happiness. By the time I started staying home myself, I would eat a LOT when no one was around. Then when I got my license, and my mom would go on vacation and leave me home, I would get almost excited to go grocery shopping for junk food. This has definitely lessened over time and I don't eat candy bars, fast food, or anything really bad anymore..I am a soda addict and sometimes I do binge a bit though. I just wonder if the restriction really made me kind of put junk food on a pedestal.

Oh I am against restrictions usually as I think it does exactly what you describe. However, if there is a possible weight problem in a young child I would cut access to junk/sugar with out making too big of a deal of it. I would be careful with thinking about it it terms of dieting and would let her continue to eat on her own limits just making sure the food is wholesome.

Romy

Taxiderpy
i do that , they dont really get much junk , they do love fruit and nuts. Torie is built the same way , wide shoulders and very square. Ginnie is more hours glassy. lol.

I just worry since it si such a marked diffrence between twins. but i try and realize every kid is diffrent. she does not loose her breath easy or anything like that.

what are some filling healthy food to try out?
When I take my daughter to the store she's allowed to pick a special treat out of the produce section. She gets really excited because there's a lot of color and variety, and she gets to try all kinds of weird vegetables. Some she likes and some she doesn't.

One thing that's a MAJOR hit is strawberries. She'd rather have them for dessert than anything baked.

A couple more snack things she likes are carrots, sugar snap peas, celery, and jicama.

I'd avoid dried fruit. It's pretty dense/high calorie, and it's easy to eat a lot because it doesn't rehydrate in you stomach right away. I mean, eat thirty raisins and compare that to eating thirty grapes. Huge difference in how full you feel.

ETA: Dragonfruit is really cool. She LOVES it, it's kind of like non-acidic kiwi flavored and the fruit is beautiful. It's fun to get them excited about eating this stuff.

-bogart-

Member of WHODAT Nation.
I will have to do a major cabinet cleaning , she does eat fruit and veggies , she loves them and will turn her nose up at chocolate for a banana. I NEVER EVER EVER tell any of my kids they are fat , I have issues and will not tolerate ANYONE in there lives giving them one.

but when i saw a 26 lb difference , it just kinda shook me. I don't think it really is that much , but it is what there dad said the doc said this am, and i don't want the kids to pick on her , because kids have no filter and can be very cruel.

SO i have been thinking and I am going to try a focused new
game of kiddy olympics and cutting more of the bread out.
We do whole grain ,
but it is honey wheat whole grain ,
and she loves peanut butter toast.
I will also offer more raw stuff instead of cooked (peas and carrots and the like)

Ginnie on left and Torie on right. Its not like Ginnie is a skinny thing either! lol

milos_mommy

Organized sports are GREAT for kids struggling with weight issues or health issues such as diabetes. My little cousin was a heavy-set child who LOVED to eat, but once she started playing basketball she got to a healthy weight. It's good for kids to just run around or play sports with friends, but if I had a child who needed to slim down I'd definitely look into some sports.

milos_mommy

Has anyone had root beer help their morning sickness?

Yesterday, my dad brought my mom fast food, and got me a root beer *shrugs*. I took a few sips of it and OH MY GOD IT WAS A BEVERAGE SENT DOWN FROM HEAVEN ABOVE. I actually ate some fries and half a chicken sandwich with it.

My doctors are all "yeah just eat whatever you can keep down"...but what happens when that's massive amounts of sugary root beer and cherry slushies? I don't drink soda, more or less ever, and consuming this much sugar seriously weirds me out.

I thought about trying to cut the root beer with club soda or something, but I don't think that would be very good, or have the same effect. Yesterday I drank a very large ("medium") fountain root beer and an enormous ("small") cherry icee. I don't think I've consumed that much sugar in the past two years of my life combined.

Members online

No members online now.