Dalmatians? (What breed should I have?)

nikkiluvsu15

Wild At Heart
LOL - I know I've seen a lot of Youtube videos and does it make me insane because it makes me want my Vizsla even more?! :rofl1: I wish I was ready for another dog, but I can only handle one. After I graduate and get a job.. then I'll hopefully be ready.

Yeah, all the V's I've met have been well bred as well, so maybe thats why I've had good experiences with them. Then again, I haven't met any bad Labs either (just fat ones) and I know those exist.

Aleron

I'm really liking the idea of a Whippet though. Oh well, like someone mentioned, by the time I'm actually ready to get a dog, a lot of things could change. I'm really grateful for all this info though, I'm really enjoying researching these different breeds. :)
If you like sighthounds and wanta smaller dog...IGs are pretty adorable: Zelda 9 to 10 wks Life Lessons - YouTube

Yeah, all the V's I've met have been well bred as well, so maybe thats why I've had good experiences with them. Then again, I haven't met any bad Labs either (just fat ones) and I know those exist.
All the Viszlas I have known have been well bred too. Some were quite neurotic though. Pretty much every Viszla I've encountered had what I considered to be a lot of "nervous energy" such as being excessively/obsessively clingy to their people and "hyperactive". Many Weims I've been around have been similar and some GSPs as well. It doesn't mean they are bad dogs, I've known some Viszlas who were outstanding performance dogs and the people who have them generally seem to really enjoy their dogs. But I don't think they are a breed for someone hoping to find a dog who can do well with minimal exercise :)

stardogs

Behavior Nerd
Keep in mind with Dobes you have to be uber careful about where you get one given all the health issues in the breed (Wobblers comes to mind right away for me).

JennSLK

F150 and a .30-06
Keep in mind with Dobes you have to be uber careful about where you get one given all the health issues in the breed (Wobblers comes to mind right away for me).
Yes. But same with basicly any breed. They all have thier issues that can and cant be tested for.

milos_mommy

If you're willing to compromise on the shedding/grooming, I think an American Eskimo might be a REALLY good choice. It fits all your requirements well, except for the shedding/grooming one.

Aleron

Yes. But same with basicly any breed. They all have thier issues that can and cant be tested for.
Not all issues are the same though. Some breeds tend to have a higher risk of serious, life threatening diseases though. According to DPCA 10 years old is eligible for a Dobe to receive a "Longevity" Certificate. It would also seem the most fatal health problems in Dobes are the things that can't be tested for - Cardio, Wobblers and bloat. I found it odd that bloat is not listed on the DPCA website as a health problem? They are really cool dogs but the health risks do seem greater than average in them. Not a reason one shouldn't consider the breed but definitely something to be aware of.

Gypsydals

DixieM, that is a loaded question. LOL
As far as what they like. It varies from dog to dog and line to line. I have had 3 todate. All 3 have been totally different. Ivan is quite a bit different than my first two. Now Im not sure if its his lines,that hes intact and a male or what. He loves to meet people outside of the house. But yet doesn't feel people should be visiting the house. Now Chloe could give a rats ass about anyone outside of her very selected few. I will tell you they do not forgive and forget things. They do tend to pick a favorite. If you are their favorite they will do just about anything for you and be stuck up your butt. So they can be willing to please. I have found that the boys seem to be a bit more willing to please and goofy than a girl is.
Their energy level also varies. I've had super mellow, somewhat mellow and active. ALL will be super active as puppies.
They can be good with other dogs and cats. Ivan isn't good with cats but then again he wasn't raised around one.
As far as size wise they fall into the medium size catagory. Ideally dals should be no taller than 23 inches at the shoulder. Ivan is 22 inches tall and 50 pounds at his heaviest. His grandma is 20.5 inches tall and 36 pounds.
They can be good off lead. But it does require quite a bit of training.
As far as grooming, little in the way of baths. They do shed tremendously but using a something like a wet wipe and regular brushing cuts that down. Some if exposed to it will allow you to vacuum them.

There are health issues in the breed.
Deafness is one. 70% are bilateral hearing, 22% are unilateral deaf(deaf in only one ear) and 8% are bilateral deaf.
Bladder and kidney stones are an issue in most dalmatians. And there are somethings that should be followed as far as helping to keep them stone free. There are LUA dalmatians out there. Which in theory are stone free. But in trade I think there might be a bit higher percentage of deafs in those lines. I know they have used unilateral deaf dogs in the programs.
Allergies and seizures are also found in some lines. More people are open to the allergy issue than the seizure issue. Dals do want to be trained, now wether they take that training and do it exactly the way you want it done. Maybe a different story. But thats not to say they can't.
For the most part they can be what you are looking for in a dog, but it does come with work. The only that really doesn't fit is the shedding part.
Best advice I can give is to find some breeders, talk to them, meet their dogs and in general find some dals to hang out with.

Members online

No members online now.