Roommates and dogs...

Bigpoodleperson

Megan and Draco
I am planning on moving out this summer/fall after im done with school. I have Riley, and i plan on getting a puppy then too (and i have a cat). I will obviously have to find a pet friendly place. I will need a roommate too though. Most likely they will have pets too (i am poss. planning on moving out with a school mate, and we are both vets techs, so animals are a must). What problems have you guys come in contact with? Are there any major "rules" for living with roommates and having pets? How difficult has it been? I know most of it depends on the individual person and circumstances, but any experieces would be helpful! I am not budging on this puppy though! Thanks!

jess2416

Who woulda thought
Ive havent been in that situation.. BUT

I think that one major thing you would need to look at.. Is make sure both of you have the same mindset about pet things as each other.. like training and things

Zhucca

Lab Love
Most of the time, roommates are much less tolerant of general animal behaviours.. jumping up, stealing food.. etc. Unless they are dog people. I live with two people who just like dogs, and the other two who like dogs but just.. don't care. LOL I pet sit and I had two dogs over recently, a young 4yr old lab and a 12yr old Elkhound. Cruise is a typical young lab.. not trained perfectly or anything. Got on their nerves hardcore.. from shedding to jumping up, .. stealing food.. etc. Indy (12yr) was everyones friend because he is very low energy.. very easy, senior dog.

It was definitely stressful.. I want to get a puppy as well and I can just picture the complaining during the difficult stages.. But as long as I don't leave any responsibility up to them their fine.

SuZQuzie

I live with my boyfriend and our Boxer plus my rooommate and her mutt. While both are similar in age (ours is actually several months younger), he is not completely potty trained, begs, jumps on people, and will bark INCESSANTLY when placed into his crate. While our pup isn't perfect (he is only 3.5 months), I feel that he is eons ahead in his training and loves his lessons. It is extremely frustrating for me to invite friends over and then have to apologize for my roommate's dog's behavior.

She, like me, is an animal science student and should know a thing about pet care. I tell her that he needs really stimulation and him sitting passively next to her is not quality time with her dog. She tells me she feels bad for him, but she just doesn't have the time to put into his training.

(Ironically, she wants to be a professional dog trainer after college.)

Members online

No members online now.