Canada's cruel slaughter set for late March

Boxer*Mom

It wasn't me
I just read this in my email. ANyone know more information?

I have distressing news to share: The largest commercial slaughter of marine mammals on the planet is set to begin in late March. By the end of the hunt, it's predicted that more than 300,000 seals will have been clubbed or shot to death -- many of them babies as young as 12 days old. Last year, a shocking 98.5% of the seals killed were two months old or younger, and some were skinned while still conscious and able to feel pain. We expect more of the same during this year's hunt.

The Humane Society of the United States will be on the front lines in Canada, fighting to halt this atrocity. I ask that you stand with us today and stop the seal hunt forever.

Step 1Sign the pledge to boycott Canadian seafood. Click here.
Seal hunting is an off-season activity conducted by fishermen from Canada's east coast. They earn, on average, a small fraction of their incomes from seal hunting -- the rest comes from commercial fisheries. Canada takes in nearly $3 billion annually from seafood exports to the United States. The connection between the commercial fishing industry and the seal hunt in Canada gives consumers all over the world the power to end the vicious slaughter of seals.

Don't Buy While Seals Die: Boycott Canadian Seafood.

Help save the baby seals by signing the pledge to boycott Canadian seafood. Your simple act could help end the seal hunt forever.

Step 1Pass the pledge to friends.
Canada is sensitive to world opinion, and its fishing industry is vulnerable to the choice of hundreds of thousands of people to refuse to buy Canadian seafood. Each and every person who signs the pledge will increase the pressure on Canada. Click here to ask your friends and family to sign the pledge.

The first stage of the hunt, set to start in late March, will unfold quickly. Once again, The HSUS will be there with our cameras, showing the world the ugly truth of what happens on the ice. We hope that the newly elected Conservative Party government in Canada will work with us to stop the hunt of hundreds of thousands of baby seals.

You can stay in touch with one of our major animal protection campaigns of the year at www.ProtectSeals.org. There you'll find up-to-the-minute news, videos, and actions throughout the hunt.

I know that it's painful to think about this awful abuse, but your involvement and action are critical to ending it. Thank you for joining us today in our fight to abolish the cruel seal hunt forever.

Sincerely,

Wayne Pacelle
President & CEO
The Humane Society of the United States

P.S. During the hunt, you can get frequent updates from Rebecca Aldworth, our Director of Canadian Wildlife Issues, who will be on the ice to witness and report on the slaughter. Click here to subscribe to Seal Watch.

Mordy

Quigleyfied
Just as an addition for those who are not aware - the Canadian product "Arctic Vigor", sold as a pet supplement, is made from seal oil.

Boxer*Mom

It wasn't me
Arctic Vigor is a food grade oil suitable for human consumption that is derived from marine species found abundantly in the ice-cold waters of the North Atlantic. As a result of this pristine environment, many marine species have very unique biological characteristics which make them interesting as a renewable resource to be harvested for consumption.
Arctic Vigor oil can supply up to ten times as much DPA as fish oils
Sneaky how they say it's not fish oil but just some marine species.

Is this really necessary up there? I mean is it like overpopulation of deer in some parts of the States? Is there no regulation of the hunt? To compare again to deer or fish even, there is a size limit and number allowed to catch or kill.

bubbatd

This has gone on for so many years, and sadly, it won't stop. I hate it. If they need to hunt, then please have them do it more humanely !

Boxer*Mom

It wasn't me
It's reported these designers use seal fur or skin in their collections.

Gucci
685 Fifth Ave.
New York, NY 10022
212-750-5220
[email protected]

Versace
Donatella Versace
Versace S.P.A. Headquarters
Via Manzoni, 38
Milan ITALY 20121
Phone: 39 02 76 09 31
Fax: 39 02 76 00 41 22

Prada World Headquarters
Prada S.P.A.
Via Andrea Maffei, 2
20154 Milan, Italy
Phone: 39 02 54 67 01

Prada U.S.
Katherine Ross, V.P. of Communications
610 W. 52nd St.
New York, NY 10019
Phone: 212 307 9300

Birger Christensen
3tergade 38
DK-1100 Copenhagen K Denmark
Phone: 45 33 11 55 55
Fax: 45 33 93 21 35
Email: [email protected]

The Odette Leblanc Collection

022 de l'% Rd., Pointe-aux-Loups
¬es de la madeleine PQ. G4T 8B1 Canada
Phone: 418-969-9385

Petit Nord OU
Pikk Tn. 67-1
10133 Tallinn
Estonia
Phone: 011 + 372 372 6411211
Fax: 011 + 372 6411212
Email: Use the form at http://www.base-1.com/petit.html

Annika Heinadottir

Oehlenschlaegersgade 30
Copenhagen, Denmark
Phone: 45 26192611

Marni
Italy Headquarters
Via Spiga 50
Milan 20121 Italy
Phone: 39-02-7631-7327
Fax: 39-02-7631-7335
Marni's Flagship Store in New York
161 Mercer Street
New York, NY 10012
Phone: 212-343-3912

Also these seafoods come from Canada, "pledge not to buy Canadian seafood products such as snow crab, cod, scallops, and shrimp until Canada ends its commercial seal hunt for good."
You can sign a pledge here, https://community.hsus.org/campaign/protectseals
These companies include Legal Sea Foods, Down East Seafoods, and Spectrum Organics, Whole Foods Market, Wild Oats Natural Marketplaces, and Kimpton Hotels and Restaurants in the United States, and Marks and Spencer in the United Kingdom. That have joined the pledge not to use Canadian seafoods.
looking to other seafood distributors, retailers, and restaurants to join our fight. On the top of our list is Red Lobster. The 600-plus restaurant chain, owned by the Darden Group (which also owns the Olive Garden chain), is the top seafood restaurant chain in the United States.

Red Lobster is key, says Protect Seals campaign director Pat Ragan, because "media reports indicate that most Canadian crab imported by the U.S. is purchased by Red Lobster. Snow crabs are the top source of income for Canada's sealers, meaning Red Lobster provides millions of dollars directly to Canadian sealers."

Boxer*Mom

It wasn't me
Other restaurants and etc. that need to be asked to limit or eliminate Canadian seafood, to help protect ther seals.

Red Lobster
Clarence Otis, Jr., CEO of The Darden Group and George Williams, Vice President for Government and Environmental Relations for Red Lobster Restaurants
The Darden Group
5900 Lake Ellenor Drive
Orlando, FL 32809
Corporate headquarter phone number: 407-245-4000
Guest relations hotline: 800-LOBSTER (1-800-562-7837)
Send your emails via the Red Lobster website.

Joe's Crab Shack (owned by Landry Seafood Restaurants, which also owns Chart House, Crab House, Landry's Seafood House, Charley's Crab, Rainforest Cafe and Saltgrass Steak House)
Tilman J. Fertitta, Chairman, President and CEO
Landry's Restaurants, Inc.
1510 W. Loop south
Houston, TX 77027
713-850-1010
Send comments via this web page.

Long John Silver's (owned by Yum! Brands Inc., which also owns Taco Bell, Pizza Hut, Kentucky Fried Chicken, and A&W All-American Food Restaurants)
David C. Novak, President and CEO
Yum! Brands
1441 Gardiner Lane
Louisville, KY 40213
502-874-8300

McCormick & Schmick's

Douglas Schmick, Co-Founder and President
Saed Mohseni, CEO
McCormick & Schmick's Seafood Restaurants
720 SW Washington St.
Portland, OR 97205
503-226-3440
Fax: 503-228-5074

Captain D's Seafood

Ron Powell, Chairman of the Board
Ronald E. Walker, President and COO
Captain D's Seafood
1717 Elm Hill Pike, Suite A-1
Nashville, TN 37210
615-391-5461
Fax: 615-231-2309

Outback Steakhouse Inc.
Chris T. Sullivan, Chairman and CEO
Outback Steakhouse
2220 North West Shore Blvd., Suite 500
Tampa, FL 33607
813-2862247
Email: Use form on this page.

Trader Joe's Company
Dan Bane, Chairman and CEO
Trader Joe's
800 South Shamrock Avenue
Monrovia, CA 91016
626-599-3700

Ahold USA (Dutch-based company that owns Stop & Shop, Giant Food Stores, Tops Markets, BI-LO, Peapod, and Bruno's Supermarkets as well as the second largest food service distributor in the United States, Foodservice)
Bill Grize, President and CEO
Ahold USA Retail Operations
1385 Hancock Street
Quincy Center Plaza
Quincy, MA 02169
781-380-8000 or 703-961-6000
Email: Use form at this page.

Safeway
Steven A. Burd, Chairman, President, and CEO
Safeway Corporate Headquarters
5918 Stoneridge Mall Road
Pleasanton, CA 94588-3229
877-723-3929 or 1-877-505-4040
Email: Use "contact us" link at the bottom of this page.

Costco Wholesale Corporation (incorporating both Costco and Price Club)
Jeffrey Brotman, Chairman
James Sinegal, President
Costco Wholesale Corporation
999 Lake Drive
Issaquah, WA 98027
425-313-8103 or 800-774-2678

Kroger Company
Joseph A. Pichler, Chairman
David Dillon, CEO
Kroger HQ
1014 Vine Street
Cincinnati, OH 45202
513-762-4000 or 1-866-221-4141

Albertsons Inc. (The second largest food-drug retailer in the United States, owns stores such as Jewel-Osco, Acme Markets, and Shaws)
Lawrence R. Johnston, Chairman, President and CEO
Albertsons HQ
250 Parkcenter Blvd.
Boise, ID 83726
888-746-7252 or 877-932-7948

Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
702 SW 8th St.
Benton, AR 72716
479-273-4000
Fax: 479-273-4053
Email: Use contact form on this page.

RoxyBoxer

As bad as I sometimes feel for the baby seals...well im from this horrible east coast and well...lets put it this way. 8 hours by plane away from the real world, all my family has and always will live off the fish. They depend on cod to survive, its the only source of income and the only jobs available are in the summer. So what happens when the seal poplulation goes up 4 times in size and start taking down the fish number?? well its okay to put the deer limit up and start killing fawns and younger deer when there population goes up?? my uncle is one of the few (no they do not go out and kill 30000 seals at a time) but have you ever seen 45 000 seals in one place? I have...and it makes you think, thats a heck of a lot of fish there eating, and thats alot of competition to deal with, not to mention that have the support of the government and fish and game officers to 'bash the baby seals over the head' and they are NOT SKINNED ALIVE!!! do you pluck chickens alive?? when there are to many of one species it has to be dealt with. its the balance of the ecosystem. so pretty much what Im saying, to many seals, problem will be dealt with. no one writes emails and crys about the poor little fawn that got shot in the bushes and eaten for christmas dinner. no one whines about the amounts of wild turkeys and geese shot and killed every year? And im confused why not eating lobster will help the baby seals??

RoxyBoxer

oh and they usually leave the young ones alone and go for the males by the way....and yes they do sell them for profit, id like to see you all go spend a day there and see how life is like. No mcdonalds or subway, some places don't even have cars, they live right beside the ocean and its not like they can go out and get a job in an insurance company or something similair.

Dixie

The ***** idiot
RoxyBoxer said:
As bad as I sometimes feel for the baby seals...well im from this horrible east coast and well...lets put it this way. 8 hours by plane away from the real world, all my family has and always will live off the fish. They depend on cod to survive, its the only source of income and the only jobs available are in the summer. So what happens when the seal poplulation goes up 4 times in size and start taking down the fish number?? well its okay to put the deer limit up and start killing fawns and younger deer when there population goes up?? my uncle is one of the few (no they do not go out and kill 30000 seals at a time) but have you ever seen 45 000 seals in one place? I have...and it makes you think, thats a heck of a lot of fish there eating, and thats alot of competition to deal with, not to mention that have the support of the government and fish and game officers to 'bash the baby seals over the head' and they are NOT SKINNED ALIVE!!! do you pluck chickens alive?? when there are to many of one species it has to be dealt with. its the balance of the ecosystem. so pretty much what Im saying, to many seals, problem will be dealt with. no one writes emails and crys about the poor little fawn that got shot in the bushes and eaten for christmas dinner. no one whines about the amounts of wild turkeys and geese shot and killed every year? And im confused why not eating lobster will help the baby seals??
YAY!! Someone who has commone sense!

Now I will say this HSUS is little more than a political group that is paying money to politicians and certain companies to publish and spread mis-information. Clubbing a seal isnt exactly allowed and those who do club seals are the ones that are giving the rest of the canadian fishermen a bad name. Sorry folks but all it takes is just one bad apple and one money hungry politician to blow things out of proportion.

And the numbers they publish are unreasonably high. Think about what you read, do your homework, get the correct information.

And as for snow-crabs and king-crabs, the fisherman that fish for crab are literally putting their lives on the line to put food on the table for their families. They work 18 to 24 hours straight to bring in what they hope will be a good catch. They work in cold-wet conditions risking hypothermia, and in some cases they work while battling the flu or even pnuemonia that they have developed while working. They risk being thrown overboarding into freezing waters- if not rescued within 5 minutes, they are given a death sentence, because the water is so cold they go unconscious almost immediately. There is no medical doctor onboard. For many people in fishing communities, this is their livilihood, this is their means of survival. If you take this away from them, you have taken away their ability to provide for their families.

HSUS does have good intentions but they are NOT the Humane Society. They are more worried about the killing of seals in Canada, when there are people here who beat their dogs with baseball bats daily.

Think about it.

Dix

okpik

Doggy Daddy
Here, here. Put me on the top o the food chain fish eatin' list.
Like any environmental region, humans have killed or taken out the apex predator from the mix. Without whales and large sharks to thin herds of seals and other mamals, they need thinning another way to maintain a balance.

As RoxyBoxer stated, bleeding heart groups will always exist and have the right to feel the way they want but state both sides of a story clearly.
Have we learned nothing from PEDA's rantings only to be caught with their pants down.

Save the Whale,...Collect the whole set!!:D

Saje

Island dweller
I don't live in that area but I do know that there is no difference between killing seals and killing any other animal. I just hope that all animals that 'have' to be killed are done so humanely. I know I can't stop it but I avoid contributing to the market too.

vanillasugar

just call me Nilly
While I don't really agree with the seal hunt, and think it needs some serious re-evaluation about the way it's carried out, it DOES have a purpose, and will not ever go away completley.

I do not see how boycotting Canadian seafood and seriously crippling an already faltering industry is going to help anything. I consider Canadian fishermen to be some of the hardest working people in this country, and they already have practically nothing to show for it. The fish populations are dangerously depleted as it is, making these men (and women) work their bones to survive. Why make them suffer more?

RoxyBoxer

Actually they use guns, were not cavemen, im not even sure how 'clubbing' came about inm these ages. I worked in a fish factory this summer and after 12 hours in feezing cold water cleaning snow crab...well im sure if there were others ways of income we'de be all for it. hey I have an idea lets boycott beef cause its from cows raised all there lives to die----sarcasm) thanks Dixie and the rest of you for having some common sense:)

Boxer*Mom

It wasn't me
Saje said:
I just hope that all animals that 'have' to be killed are done so humanely. I know I can't stop it but I avoid contributing to the market too.

Couldn't of said it better.

The Canadian Marine Mammal Regulations, which govern the hunt, stipulate sealers may kill seals with wooden clubs, hakapiks (large ice-pick-like clubs) and guns. In the Gulf of St. Lawrence, clubs and hakapiks are the killing implement of choice, and in the Front, guns are more widely used.

It is important to note that each killing method is demonstrably cruel. Because sealers shoot at seals from moving boats, the pups are often only wounded. The main sealskin processing plant in Canada deducts $2 from the price they pay for the skins for each bullet hole they find—therefore sealers are loath to shoot seals more than once. As a result, wounded seals are left to suffer in agony—many slip beneath the surface of the water where they die slowly and are never recovered.
The scientific community agrees that the true cause of the depletion of fish stocks off Canada's East Coast is human over-fishing. Blaming seals for disappearing fish is a convenient way for the fishing industry to divert attention from its irresponsible and environmentally destructive practices that continue today.

In truth, seals, like all marine mammals, are a vital part of the ecosystem of the Northwest Atlantic. Harp seals, which are the primary target of the hunt, are opportunistic feeders, meaning they consume small amounts of many different species. So while approximately 3% of a harp seal's diet may be commercially fished cod, harp seals also eat many significant predators of cod, such as squid. That is why some scientists are concerned that culling harp seals could further inhibit recovery of commercially valuable fish stocks in the Northwest Atlantic.

Are Seals Overpopulated?
No. The Canadian government and sealing industry have, at various times, tried to claim that the harp seal population has "tripled" over the past three decades, or that the harp seal population is "exploding," or that seals are overpopulated.

Nothing could be further from the truth. The harp seal population in the Northwest Atlantic is the world's largest—it is supposed to number in the many millions. This is a migratory population that spans the distance between Canada and Greenland.

In the 1950s and 1960s, over-hunting wiped out close to two-thirds of the harp seal population. By 1974, the population was considered to be in serious trouble, and senior government scientists recommended the commercial hunt be suspended for at least ten years.

In the early 1980s, the European Union banned the import of whitecoat seal skins, effectively removing the principal market for the hunt at the time. For the next decade, the numbers of seals killed in the hunt dramatically declined, and the harp seal population began to recover.

However, according to the last survey conducted by the Canadian government in 1999, the harp seal population stopped recovering in 1996 (when the commercial seal hunt was reintroduced) and began to decline. With more than a million seal pups killed over the past three years alone, we can only wonder what the impact will be on the harp seal population over the coming years.

Amstaffer

Dixie said:
YAY!! Someone who has commone sense!

Think about it.

I love how people find a million ways to justify killing other creatures. Survival, Culture, Hunger etc... when in the end it usually about greed.

Members online

No members online now.