Shows That Make You Geek Out

Equinox

Ah, well, guess I can't quite outgrow my position as the baby of the forums! I was 6 years old in 1999 :rofl1: But I also only really started watching a lot of TV in my high school years. Now, I watch anything from before 2005 or so and my knee jerk reaction is always "wow, that looks old!" :eek:

Though I was thinking my top tv shows are still Avatar and Game of Thrones. Such a weird combination! Lol
LOL I wondered about that, when I read about you having "the bar set WAY high (like GOT and Avatar high)". I never really got into Avatar (I prefer weird, slightly trippy cartoons or something like Bob's Burgers) but I still get where you're coming from. My sister was completely obsessed with it, and I do think it's a well made and interesting cartoon.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
For me it's like remembering the good old days. I totally miss the late 90s. I was a little young for I when it came out but not by much. I was in junior high at the time.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
We can't be friends if you don't like Avatar. :p

I didn't watch it till I was in my 20s and was really impressed. I actually started watching it because of the movie and how terrible people thought it was. I think I watched the whole thing in a week. I still rewatch it all the time. I don't know. It just gives me good feels, the animation is stellar, and I think it's smartly done for a kid's show. I hooked both my sisters on it (after they made fun of me for watching a y7 show) and they hooked their friends on it too. It's a simple story wih simple archetypes but it just really works for me and resonates. Even the last time I watched it I cried in the finale (zuko and iroh! gets me every time) and wanted to start from the beginning and watch it again.

I just love the characters in avatar. They are some of my favorites and I enjoyed pretty well all of them, which is amazing.

Game of thrones is the only other show I watch and rewatch and its still sooo good. It doesn't leave you with good feels though. ;)

Equinox

I said it's well made and interesting! And not even in the slightly condescending kind of way :lol-sign: Definitely not "just" a kid's show, in the sense that I totally get why everyone else would love it.

The characters (and character development) and story and humor was well done enough for me to watch the entire series and think it was a good show... but then I just kind of forgot about it. I actually think I watched the first couple of episodes of Korra first because everyone was making such a big deal about it, and I thought those were pretty funny. So it wasn't that long ago... maybe 2 or 3 years? Korra actually grabbed me more initially. But I ended up watching all of Avatar TLA because my sister got really into it and then never continued Korra.

I have rewatched Game of Thrones an embarrassing number of times. But you're definitely right, it really doesn't leave you with good feelings at all LOL I love the intensity and intrigue though, and wish I could watch it for the first time again. I went into it not knowing anything and some of the "twists" completely blew me out of the water.

You know, now that you mention it, I really don't think I have a feel good TV show that I just love. Bummer!

Shai

& the Muttly Crew
(1) You all are making me feel old.

(2) Downton Abbey is hilarious.

...actually those two things may be related...? :p

BostonBanker

(1) You all are making me feel old.

(2) Downton Abbey is hilarious.

...actually those two things may be related...?
On the plus side, you are not alone on either front.

For me Buffy didn't get good until season 2 and 3. It is definitely campy and kind of dated in places.
It is so unbelievably campy and dated. I went a long time without seeing the earliest seasons - as in watched them when they were on, and didn't re-watch them until probably 10 years later. And oh my god the outfits and stuff. I'm still not a huge fan of the first two seasons; I loved season 3 (because Oz!) and from there on. And I also never got into Angel - either the character or the show. I think I watched the first season, and just wasn't interested.

I did watch most of the show as it aired, and haven't really watched many other CW shows besides Supernatural, so it still feels pretty original to me. Yes campy and often predictable, especially early on. But also very much my kind of show with the characters and humor.

I'm finally at the point where I'm looking forward to Doctor Who episodes, so of course the lead actor is about to change.

I think after the last couple of craptastic weeks that I'm going to treat myself to the Agents of Shield DVDs. I have been waiting to be able to watch season 1, and I'm getting sick of waiting.

JacksonsMom

For me it's like remembering the good old days. I totally miss the late 90s. I was a little young for I when it came out but not by much. I was in junior high at the time.

I was 9 in 1999, lol, but I feel like I grew up with a lot of the typical 90's shows because my mom would watch a lot of them so I naturally did too. I probably would understand them a LOT more now. lol. Like I used to love watching Ally McBeal with my mom, mainly because dancing baby. :rofl1:

I kind of want to go through and watch a bunch of popular shows from the 90's.

I got really hooked on ER for a while when John Stamos was on it and at the time, I never had watched medical shows, so it was all new for me and I really liked it. When it ended, I went back and watched some eps with George Clooney but I still would love to go back through and watch all the seasons. I think I only watched season 1 and then Stamos was on it from, like... seasons 13-15? Oh and I started watching The Practice but got sick of watching it from torrent sites. My uncle told me he used to love Boston Legal.

JacksonsMom

Yeah, I remember watching Buffy after watching a bit of True Blood and Vampire Diaries just out of curiosity/boredom, and I don't know. I thought it was cute and likable, but it just felt a bit dated to me, and not just in quality/graphics. Acting, dialogue, plot, tropes, etc. I also think that I had watched that show before really getting into TV shows in general, I would have enjoyed it more. I admittedly only watched one season, though.

I didn't like Firefly, either :eek: I was so prepared for the most amazing TV experience of my life, but did not realize it was sci fi + western, which are two genres I avoid like the plague. I do frequently hear that it's much more than that, so I'll give it another chance eventually, but it wasn't what I expected at all.
True Blood really surprised me at how popular it is. I watched 2 eps and thought it was so unbelievably corny. Almost like it was trying too hard to be the typical "serious HBO show" but just... wasn't working. To me anyway, I dunno, I just felt like the dialogue was so unbelievable. But maybe it was supposed to have that 'feel'? I don't know. Again, only watched 2 eps, so maybe I'm totally and completely off base. I liked the premise and thought I would like it. And usually HBO doesn't disappoint.

Woohoo! And haha, yeah I think that anyone who hasn't read and reread the books feels the same way. I know I did! But eventually it started making sense, though I kept noticing new things when I rewatched. Ask if there's anything that you feel is important that you don't quite get!

Had a really busy day today and just got home a bit ago - I'm going to watch some Breaking Bad tonight and tomorrow!
I think I'll end up getting hooked. I'm about to start episode 3 and don't have to be up for work or school tomorrow so I'm hoping I can get a few eps in. :)

Dagwall

@Brit

I love ER, watched it religiously while it was on. Would be happy to watch through it all again.

As for True Blood I really enjoyed it but agree it isn't a quality show. If you are willing to accept the crazy story lines and creatures it's a lot of fun though.

Totally a 90s fan, 17 in 1999. I don't mind dated shows either. Love watching old Roseanne, Cosby Show, and Married with Children episodes.

Fran27

Blacklist is great! I couldn't really get into True Blood. I guess showing sex just for the sake of showing sex isn't my thing. We watched the first two seasons and stopped.

And now I'm feeling really old that someone mentioned Ally McBeal as a 1990s show :lol-sign: I loved that show, except the last season. Watched all of ER too, although the last 4 seasons only a couple years ago.

Dagwall

Blacklist is great! I couldn't really get into True Blood. I guess showing sex just for the sake of showing sex isn't my thing. We watched the first two seasons and stopped.

And now I'm feeling really old that someone mentioned Ally McBeal as a 1990s show :lol-sign: I loved that show, except the last season. Watched all of ER too, although the last 4 seasons only a couple years ago.
I stopped watching ER when they gave Mark Greene a brain tumor and said he was going to die, whatever season that was. Then my new roommate in college watched the show and told no he's still there, miracle cure and all that jazz, so I started watching again. Got all caught up on the in between. I enjoyed the entire series but liked the early years better than the later.

JazzyTheSibe

Love is 4 legged word
So. So. So. Good.

Yay! I'm getting excited, which only happens with a few select shows. Can't wait.

I need to get Netflix, because, our cable provide, only provides one season at time:mad:

JacksonsMom

About to start ep 6 of GoT. I like it and I'm going to keep watching because now I want to know what happens next but I'm still not in love with it yet. I often find myself checking my iphone and instagram etc while watching it lol. It's not like I don't like the characters. I love Tyrion, I like his character a lot. And I love Arya Stark. And I think Daenerys does a fabulous job. I think it's more the storyline for me, I'm just not sucked in quite yet. But do you think that's normal for how early on in the series I'm in?

Equinox

Oh come on!! LOL you guys are hilarious :rofl1:

I think Downton Abbey is fantastic... but like I said when I tried to describe it to my friend, it's like watching 7 hours of Pride and Prejudice per season. So far, at least, since I'm only halfway through season 2. But it's well made, well acted, and the characters are compelling and likable generally, but it's just not particularly interesting. It's more of a background show for me. Not sure if the tone changes in the later seasons?

And for the record, I HATE True Blood :p I'll fully admit that it's the corniness and the accents. The accent just makes the dialogue even more corny, and I really do not like the main character. That one guy is not attractive or intriguing, neither is... that one other guy? Eric? The actor for him is pretty but the character is very blah. I watched about 4 seasons of it because it was HBO and what I like in terms of people/action (or so I figured). But I just didn't enjoy it overall and it's been a long time since I've seen an episode.

I've been really busy the last few days so am only about at episode 3 or 4 of Breaking Bad. Will watch a couple more tonight, and told my friend I was starting it again so we chatted about the show. She actually doesn't think I'll get hooked by season 1 or 2, though she says I'll love it if I watch the whole series. LOL I hope I start loving it after 10 episodes in!!

About to start ep 6 of GoT. I like it and I'm going to keep watching because now I want to know what happens next but I'm still not in love with it yet. I often find myself checking my iphone and instagram etc while watching it lol. It's not like I don't like the characters. I love Tyrion, I like his character a lot. And I love Arya Stark. And I think Daenerys does a fabulous job. I think it's more the storyline for me, I'm just not sucked in quite yet. But do you think that's normal for how early on in the series I'm in?
If you've only just finished episode 5, I think that's totally normal. I checked the episode summaries and yeah, I don't think the first 5 episodes are particularly exciting for a new watcher. But as for the rest of the episodes... I don't know how much you've had spoiled for you, and it's possible that some of the more exciting moments won't even be as cool for you? Hopefully not!

Shai

& the Muttly Crew
We can hang out and shake our canes at these young whippersnappers.
Yes! As Gusto and Webster chase the hooligans off our lawn.

Oh you're not much older than I am! At least when I met you you didn't look geriatric. :p
I was born old :p

Also I'm probably stopping by your city again some time before the end of the year :)

Oh come on!! LOL you guys are hilarious :rofl1:

I think Downton Abbey is fantastic... but like I said when I tried to describe it to my friend, it's like watching 7 hours of Pride and Prejudice per season. So far, at least, since I'm only halfway through season 2. But it's well made, well acted, and the characters are compelling and likable generally, but it's just not particularly interesting. It's more of a background show for me. Not sure if the tone changes in the later seasons?
It's more like Jane Austen's work. The plotline itself isn't really the point...it's really about the subtle character interplay and dialogue. Hilarious. I actually like the first couple seasons best and frequently laugh out loud...

But I mean this is a person whose favorite line of all the Harry Potter movies is Prof McGonagall's in the Goblet of Fire: "...we and our guests will gather in the Great Hall for a night of well-mannered frivolity."

So...

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.