Bad Dog Park Etiquette

babymomma

Remembering Casey ♥
Now let me give you the details of that incident. A guy brought a great dane in that was not neutered. The dog was totally uncontrolable and the guy was trying to call the dog and the dog was not responding to him at all. This dog was running around like a wild horse and was getting all the other dogs upset to the point that a dog fight could have broke out. Being he violated the no intact rule I told a ranger about it and he was asked to leave. His dog did not belong there.
Why wouldnt you report him because his dog was causing a fuss? Why use his being intact as an excuse? Seems odd to me.

I suppose your probably a germaphobe who carries hand sanitizer with him where ever he goes.
And wow.. That last statement is almost laughable.:p

Nice Dekka!!! yes, very impressive!

I think a threadjack at this point is ok, its that or the lolcats are overdue IMO

babymomma

Remembering Casey ♥
I'm sure if the people at the dog park were offended by Lola being on the table when someone is petting her they would have said something. Since they do not seem to be offended by Lola being on a table when they are petting her I will allow it to continue.
You have previously stated that people of your dog park dont seem to stand up to people to adress their issues. Weather it be a lady with too many dogs, some of which oversized, or somebody letting their dog sit on a table. What makes you think they would have said anything to you

As for her being on the table when I was eating their she is a 10 pound dog, I guess in your opinion it would have been ok to keep her on the ground have a dog walk by larger than her and bite her or cause another problem. The event I was at had at least 1000 dogs their that would be 999 that I did not know personally so I had no idea if they would have been ok with her on the ground or not. It was not a chance I wanted to take.

So what would you have done?
Not have taken her there. You obviously do not trust, nor seem to like anybody else's dog, only your own. So why bother? A 'large' dog could have easily jumped and snapped at her even on the table.. Seems to me you would fit under the paranoid category... Kinda reminds me of stacey and clinton from what not to wear.. look out, the fashion police are coming.

noodlerubyallie

Sprayin' the spiders
The dog parks I've visited before are ruled over by the I-don't-cares and "pet" people who can't read dog behavior and think humping is ok.

I don't usually go unless I know there won't be anyone there and I leave when they show up, unless I know the dog.

theresa92841

Gigi Monster & Evil Puppy
First of all no one eats at the tables. If Lola is jumping up on the table at the dog park to greet someone who might be walking with a cane or walker I am not going to stop her. She is a therapy dog. If I say down she gets right off but I am not going to tell her to get down when someone is petting her. The people that are usually at the table are older and can't bend over to pet her. For the most part she is out on the grassy area playing with the other dogs and not even near the tables. I surely would never sit at a table and watch her from the tables because our dog park is quite large. She does not get up on the table at home because she knows not to.

When we do our therapy work at nursing homes I hold her up for people to pet her and if they say that they want her on their bed I allow her to lay their with them. Do you think that is wrong also?
Wow. I have to agree with you and have the same opinion of bad dog park etiquette. Who knew. I have my own experiences and opinions. And my dogs don't need to be up on a table. I don't really enjoy others up there either.

Saeleofu

yeah me either, that and my dogs are small, I may have to find som'thing else to use. I have seen dogs do it with milkbone biscuits, but thats not as impressive LOL:)

how do you pronouce that name? :)

I do have a package of good sausages in the feezer, but they're too good to allow for mistakes xD

His name is prononuced... GAV-rawsh (the A in GAV is like the A in GAY, and the A in rawsh sounds like the A in raw)

OR you can say it all French-like like this" Les Misérables - About The Show - Pronunciation (scroll down to Gavroche" and press play) but I never was able to actually sound French :rofl1:

OR YouTube - [Les Miserables] 10th anniversary - Look Down at 0:27 (Thisi s probably your best bet ;))

ahh, flippin computer is defective today, I'll have to see it when I get home.

yes, don't waste the good sausages LOL

SmexyPibble

Blow. Me. Away.
We once took Kenai to the dog park, where a Boston Terrier's owner continously talked about Wal-Mart to me and let his little dog hump Kenai's leg. The little thing refused to let go; he jumped even while Kenai ran!

I hate the know it alls. You need to do this, you need to do that. The last time I dealt with a woman like that a dog park, I told her to shut the hell up. ;)

Then there's the people who thinks it's perfectly fine to bring their dominant, intact 200 pound Mastiff in, and let it attack every dog that enters without acknowledging the behavior. Not only that, but allowing the other dog owners to leave with their dogs, and letting his Mastiff continue to run around snapping.

Scooter

Wow just read through this. There are two dog parks near me. One has concrete "benches" that people and dogs sit on, but the other does have a big, plastic picnic table. I have let Zoe get on it, but it honestly never occurred to me not to let her. No, I would never let her on our table, or at a picnic table in a park where people eat, but since it's a dog park----well, it never occurred to me someone might sit on down and eat lunch. Food in a dog park is generally a bad idea anyway, right?

HayleyMarie

Like a bat outa' hell
My local dog park is pretty low key. We dont have any rangers and it does nor really have any rules. Just pick up after your dog ect.. The only problem that I have come across was when a pitbull was there. I have nothing against Pits, but I think a responisible pit owner should not be bringing their dog to a DP. Anyways I left right away.

DanL

Not have taken her there. You obviously do not trust, nor seem to like anybody else's dog, only your own. So why bother? A 'large' dog could have easily jumped and snapped at her even on the table.. Seems to me you would fit under the paranoid category... Kinda reminds me of stacey and clinton from what not to wear.. look out, the fashion police are .
That's a pretty good observation babymomma.

Daisy wouldn't even have to jump, she'd have to lean down and snap up the little dog like a Scooby snack. We have a round bar/cocktail table that is real tall and has high stools- taller than a kitchen counter. She can reach that one without jumping up.

I totally missed the hand sanitizer comment. No, I don't carry it around with me but I do wash my hands after using the bathroom and before and after I handle food.

Tahla9999

I wouldn't mind having a dog park police.:D Not saying that you are Lola's Dad, but I wouldn't mind going to the dog park with you! I'm too shy to confront people on badly behaved dogs.

sillysally

Obey the Toad.
Wow--apparently there are some who need a shot or two before heading to the dog park. They're dogs. Loose in a park. Stuff happens. I look at going to the dog park like I do going to the barn...When I go I wear my muck boots and clothes I don't mind getting dirty, as I fully expect that I might step in poop, step in mud, get jumped on, get slobbered on, etc.

We have picnic benches, and I guess dogs jump on them, but honestly I can't imagine finding that offensive. I don't allow Jack to jump on the tables (although he really hasn't tried) because I really don't want him to hurt himself jumping off. As far as I'm concerned nobody should be eating at those tables. It's a dog park, not a picnic area--if they get dog hair, poo, etc on their food because they insist on eating off a dog park table, tough titties.

Honestly, the only thing I really worry about is safety issues. As long as everyone does their best to make sure that the dogs (and people) go home in one piece I'm cool....

HayleyMarie

Like a bat outa' hell
Like Scooter I never really though about dogs jumping onto benches and picnic tables. Teagan does it. although I immediantly tell her down and she jumps down but No ones complains. The way I see it is that it is a DOG PARK not a PEOPLE PARK!

I have seen intact males running around at the DP, but never had a problem with them or seen a problem with them. I am pretty easy going and I dont start a problem that does not need to be started. And I think if there was a really big issue someones else will complain. Although I do get a little irritated when peoplpe dont pick up after their dogs and they seen it happen.

PlottMom

The Littlest Hound
Then there's the people who thinks it's perfectly fine to bring their dominant, intact 200 pound Mastiff in, and let it attack every dog that enters without acknowledging the behavior. Not only that, but allowing the other dog owners to leave with their dogs, and letting his Mastiff continue to run around snapping.
sounds like the peach from here moved to washington ;) my friend's coonhound was on a leash and got attacked by this guy :( however, the guy then left with the dog like his ass was on fire, and when we confronted him and asked him not to bring that dog back, he said "well you can't prove my dog did anything!" um, yea - a park full of people just saw him flip out on two other dogs that weren't even NEAR him (he had to BOOK it about 70 yards to my friends dog, and then he attacked the lab that had followed him, thinking they were frolicking...), bloody them, and then you wrestle him to the ground.

Romy

Taxiderpy
Like Scooter I never really though about dogs jumping onto benches and picnic tables. Teagan does it. although I immediantly tell her down and she jumps down but No ones complains. The way I see it is that it is a DOG PARK not a PEOPLE PARK!
I think most people were reacting to an account of a dog laying on a picnic table at a street fair, as the owner ate, more than a dog on the table at the dog park.

sillysally

Obey the Toad.
I spent a lot of time at our county fair when I showed my horse in the fair as a teenager, and trust me when I tell you guys this, dogs on the table is the least of your worries in the world of carny eating facilities.....:rofl1:

Members online