? About Contacting a Breeder

I am getting ready to start seriously looking at breeders for a few years down the road when I am ready for my Wolfhound. What is a good first email to send? I was thinking someting along the lines of:

Hello, my name is StillandSilent. I have researched the Irish Wolfhound breed and would appreciate some more information on what it is like to live with one of these dogs. I woul like to own one within the next 3-5 years. You came highly recommended by (blah, blah). I am particularly interested in your dog (insert bitch or dogs name here), and was curious if there are any planned breeding in the next few years. I can be reached at (Telephone) or (email). Thank you for your time.
StillandSilent

Then go from there as far as other questions. Would this be alright? What sort of email would you breeders like to get from someone seriously interested in one of your animals? It's a bit dizzying to find a good breeder, especially since I've never done it before.

Domestika

Hmm...this sounds really good. I, personally, wouldn't look to them to provide the bulk of info about living with the breed. They probably have that information, but I'm not sure that you want them to think that you don't know much about them. I would do your research with breed owners, rescues, kennel clubs, etc. And then contact them with the statement that I KNOW this breed will fit with my lifestyle and then ask about planned litters.

But that is just my take. That's what I would do. The letter as you wrote it is perfectly acceptable as well.

mrose_s

BusterLove
Sounds good to me. I know some breeders love novels, some breeders like to call and get info over the phone.

Maybe say that you have researched the breed and describe your lifestyle a bit then ask if they think and wolfhound would be suited to you as this is your first?

IcyHound

I like novels,

I always ask someone what they are looking for in the dog they are hoping to get. You can say that you have read/heard that they are like this and that and what does the breeder think/agree?

bubbatd

I'd start with breed clubs .... maybe even go to one of their meetings . Good luck !!!

Dekka

Just try me..
I'd start with breed clubs .... maybe even go to one of their meetings . Good luck !!!
Thats great.. if they have them. Neither of my breeds has club meetings. The BOD meets.. but its a telephone conference call not open to the general public. And as a breeder I don't really care one way or another if a prospective client has talked to the breed club. As those contacted are volunteers who just email out pamphlets and list of registered breeders (They can't recommend breeders).

Personally send me a short novel. Lots of info about you and your dog experience, what you are looking for in a dog, and what things/activities you would like your dog to be involved in.

Members online

No members online now.