new dog dominance

funnyfarm

We have had a dog for 3 years, 120 pound dobi/roti/tosu inu mix. Last winter we got a puppy terrier/pitbull mix. They got along great until last week. They used to play fight, but last week they started really growling, and fighting. I have been jumping and and breaking them up. After time apart they are fine for a while then they go at it again. I can't find any one thing that gets them going, sometimes it is near one food dish or the other, sometimes they are heading outside. Other times one is walking by while the other sits on the couch. Any ideas on what I can do to stop this, or should I let them fight until one whines or wimpers, then break it up to let one show dominance. I am jsut afraid that both breads may not back down no matter how much it hurts.

You're absolutely right to be worried! You've got two very determined types there, especially with the Tosa Inu in the mix.

I'd have to suggest a lot of intensive training for both of them, making them acknowledge you as the leader who's word is LAW. Then you can begin to lay down the ground rules about fighting.

Most importantly, if they aren't neutered - do it ASAP!

funnyfarm

dominance

Yes, they are both neutered. They both have been great dogs, and they were so good until now. I am assuming it is because nakita (the terrier mix) is getting older and wants to show dominacne. I will just continue being the Alpha dog and immediately stopping their fighting.

Glad to hear they're both neutered.

One of the things I've always done and so has Charley is backed the dog with seniority. That dog gets fed first, given the first treat, etc. and gets left in charge when we're gone. I'm assuming that you have to put your dogs in separate areas when you're gone, though.

Good luck - I hope you post some photos of your dogs. They sound interesting and I'd love to see them.

RD

Are you dead yet?
Renee has given you great advice. The dog that was there first is to be established as the alpha dog (remember that YOU are the ultimate alpha. ;)) while the newcomer is on the bottom of the food chain.

funnyfarm

dominance

Thanks. I have been pulling them apart and making them lay down while I scold both of them in a rough tone. It has worked. If they start to growl all I do is tell them no, and they stop. Once or twice they have gone at it again, but all in all they are much better.
thanks for the advice.

Members online

No members online now.