Tail Dock?

I was just wanting to get an opinion about my dog's tail, and while most will probably say to ask my vet (which I have), I just wanted to know more about it... So here's my question:

My 2 year old german shepherd/boxer (pound puppy) has had a 'kink' in his tail since I got him at 8 months old. While most of the time there is no impact on it other than a goofy looking tail, there are times where he sits down and it bends funny and he yelps or if he backs into a wall, etc. I was just wondering if it would be in his best interest to dock his tail, my vet says no without much explaination other than that he has had it he should be used to it and that it really isn't causing any pain that if he had the stub and sat on it he would still yelp. I'm not sure I buy this explaination, but I'm not sure what to believe... He would look pretty funny without a tail, and he seems to use it a lot when playing and swimming, but I'm sure he would get by...

Does anyone have any suggestions about keeping or losing the tail?

Saje

Island dweller
My gut says to keep the tail. It's a pretty serious operation for an older dog and he is used to the tail. If you had arthritis in one finger that bothered you on rainy days would you rather cut it off or keep it? I'd want to keep it. It's useful the rest of the time. I guess it depends on how much it is bother him and how often. It doesn't sound like much though. I would get a second opinion. Sounds like your vet wasn't horribly useful.

Aussie Red

Rebel With Cause
For the most part I would agree to keep the tail but have you had it x-rayed ? there could have been an injury that is causing problems. He can have had a broken tail and a bad heal with the nerves being pinched. I had to have Whiskey's tail removed and yes it is bad on a dog much older then 2 months. Quite like having a leg removed. Also it can cause injury to nerves and spine. It is a touchy one but if your dog is in pain all the time with the tail then I would opt for removal if it is only a once in a great while thing because he sits wrong no.

Members online