Returning a dog to the breeder - Questions/Rant

ACooper

.........I think many of us can raise our hands and say that we once felt overloaded and stressed with our animals at some point. And I think many of us have also owned dogs that just didn't click or we just didn't like all that much. But at no time are those situations an excuse for failing to provide the very basics of canine care.....such as food.

Not a dog, but remember Marty the parrot? I made a mistake bringing him home..........thought I could train the man hater out of him but I couldn't. He was a hazard to Kevin when he was loose, (drew blood more than once) he ended up spending more time in his cage than was fair (IMO) and I rehomed him last year. It broke my heart, I cried and cried.......but again, Kevin himself would NEVER have starved or abused Marty. He continued to talk to him each morning, give him a peanut before he left for work........right up to the day Marty went to his new home.

But that's the difference you see. Kevin is healthy, mentally and physically. Something is terribly wrong with anyone who would neglect ANY animal to the shape this pup was in.

Teal needs to seek help of some kind. A normal, compassionate, person......whether an animal lover or not, would not stand by and see an animal in need like that without caring and acting.

yoko

I have to pipe in real quick.

First, I think I've been around long enough online that people know I don't "hide behind thinly veiled insults". I'm a very honest and open person, and I despise passive-aggressiveness. I will say what I mean, and mean what I say.

Second, I'm going to have to step up (and be the first and only?) and say that I have an issue with it being said that this puppy wasn't neglected intentionally. It most certainly was intentional. I'm not saying that there isn't a much larger issue at hand, as there very well is, but this dog wasn't what she wanted (or she didn't get enough fame and recognition for owning it), therefore she made the decision to not positively interact with this puppy or feed it as basic needs demand. Not only that, she was smart enough to start weaving a web of deception in order to justify the treatment of this puppy. I wholeheartedly believe she was planning on using this cover-up to hide the fate of the pup. That may less one to believe that there is a much larger issue with her, but it doesn't absolve her of blame for actions that were deliberate and calculated. Intentional.

The fact that this pup was again uprooted and rehomed and yet managed to immediately start gaining weight makes me immediately throw out the whole "the poor puppy was only just too stressed to eat, so Teal's not to blame".

I think many of us can raise our hands and say that we once felt overloaded and stressed with our animals at some point. And I think many of us have also owned dogs that just didn't click or we just didn't like all that much. But at no time are those situations an excuse for failing to provide the very basics of canine care.....such as food.

And another sad side effect is the increased hardship of potential owners being allowed to obtain a dog from a long-distance breeder. People, such as myself, might now be turned down because of actions by Teal and others like her.
No trust me I feel the same. This whole thing looks like she got tired of him and quit caring for even his basic needs. This thread looks like she wanted to set up a disappearance either ditch the dog somewhere or dropping at the shelter. I agree something is wrong with her but I don't agree this was something she didn't notice. It sounds like she noticed plenty and tried to set up a way to totally get rid of the dog. That's why she was so pissed when people found contact info for her.

I get some people are good people and stuff gets put of hand. But sometimes people are just bad and trying to justify it is people's way of trying to cope with the fact someone did something so inhumane it can't be explained.

Red Chrome

After spending a good chunk of time examining the date stamps on pictures, threads all over excluding the puppy, information given by her and little inconsistencies in things. I have to agree with Miakoda. I have done everything in my power to make sure this doesn't happen again to another dog. Whether people will listen or not is on them.

I truly wish Jairi would come back here and explain the situation or own up to it. But IME with people that do these things, they RUN, they disappear for awhile and then they pop up months later after they think people have forgotten about it.

I do wonder what happened to other dogs that disappeared. Especially those that there are no pictures of for a month before they went to their new homes. It makes me wonder what really happened to Clairece,Polaris,JP and the others.

S

SevenSins

Second, I'm going to have to step up (and be the first and only?) and say that I have an issue with it being said that this puppy wasn't neglected intentionally. It most certainly was intentional.
I can't really speak for anyone per se, but I think some here (not you) are confusing "intentionally" with "maliciously." You can't really "unintentionally" not feed a pet until it's emaciated, unless you slip into a coma, but you can...well, some people can, anyway...neglect an animal to that point without realizing they've done it until it's too late, without spite or malice involved.

I'm honestly on the fence about that though, not just because of the terminology used ("the dog," "it," etc) but the fact that it seemed to have been used with some hatred behind it, not "just" detachment.

she was smart enough to start weaving a web of deception in order to justify the treatment of this puppy. I wholeheartedly believe she was planning on using this cover-up to hide the fate of the pup.
I agree. The fact of the matter is, she is clearly capable of comprehending that what happened to the puppy while in her care was wrong, because she took very intentional steps to create an alternate scenario.

And another sad side effect is the increased hardship of potential owners being allowed to obtain a dog from a long-distance breeder. People, such as myself, might now be turned down because of actions by Teal and others like her.
Maybe, or maybe not. You may have to spend even longer getting to know the breeder before they'll agree to sell you a dog if you don't already have one from them, or they may require more paperwork, but if someone is a qualified home (or rather "appears" to be a qualified home - you can know someone for years in person and still not really "know" them as well as you thought) I don't imagine it would be impossible or that you'd be turned down outright. I'd be happy if more breeders tightened up their placement process.

Muttkip

LABRADERP!
After spending a good chunk of time examining the date stamps on pictures, threads all over excluding the puppy, information given by her and little inconsistencies in things. I have to agree with Miakoda. I have done everything in my power to make sure this doesn't happen again to another dog. Whether people will listen or not is on them.

I truly wish Jairi would come back here and explain the situation or own up to it. But IME with people that do these things, they RUN, they disappear for awhile and then they pop up months later after they think people have forgotten about it.

I do wonder what happened to other dogs that disappeared. Especially those that there are no pictures of for a month before they went to their new homes. It makes me wonder what really happened to Clairece,Polaris,JP and the others.
And Goldfhysh and that Catahoula she has as well?

Barbara!

Once again... There is NO NEED to bring up her other dogs. This thread is degrading itself.

Her other dogs show a pattern of behavior.

Getting dogs. Getting in over her head. Getting rid of them.

Plenty of reason to bring them up. If I were selling puppies, those other dogs on their own would be enough of a reason for me not to sell to her!

yoko

Once again... There is NO NEED to bring up her other dogs. This thread is degrading itself.
All of it makes a case that she shouldn't even consider more dogs right now. People who actually care about placing their puppies should know things like this.

And honestly if you starve a dog I don't care about wanting to save your feelings more than I want to keep more dogs from going through that.

Red Chrome

Her other dogs show a pattern of behavior.

Getting dogs. Getting in over her head. Getting rid of them.

Plenty of reason to bring them up. If I were selling puppies, those other dogs on their own would be enough of a reason for me not to sell to her!
Exactly. Except that those other dogs are never mentioned when purchasing puppies. Easier to obtain a puppy that way.

I have filled out a couple puppy applications recently and on each one, it asked, "How many dogs have you had?" "What happened to those dogs if they are no longer with you?" Or questions worded closely to that. I had a breeder call my references and verify my answers as well as call my vet. But even with these precautions in place, it is easy for people to lie and end up with a puppy from breeder. It sucks. You never truly know unless you dig for information. When I placed my GSD puppies, I googled everyone's name and searched for anything out of line concerning dogs in addition to home checks, multiple references and getting to know then people before. Things happen and it isn't a guarantee but it did help. A LOT.

Showing a pattern of behavior is part of warning future breeders of one of her future puppies. Unless she starts breeding her own.

MafiaPrincess

Obvious trollsare Obvious
The previous cycle was already enough for people to PM each other and warn breed clubs about her. The fila puppy is horrible and disgusting and beyond the already proven cycle of tossing dogs and lying about it.

The fila puppy is a huge issue. Her other dogs were already a proven problem. There is plenty of reason to bring them up and talk about warning any breed club anyone can to stop people from selling to her.

Red Chrome

Can you explain the condition that Bullseye was in? I have waited for an explanation. I have seen the same veiled explanations from Jairi before. I just want answers. AND I do NOT want to EVER see a puppy in this position again.

Doberluv

That she had other dogs with mysterious disappearances and questionable nurturing IS relevant because it shows a pattern…that this Fila puppy isn’t a one time lapse in judgement or a freak thing that his condition just snuck up on her. That’s ridiculous. If a dog is losing a lot of weight, a normal person takes it to the vet and it goes on IV’s if necessary. A normal person doesn’t let the dog get thinner and thinner until he is a skeleton!!!!

People with a total disregard for life, a complete lack of empathy for a helpless puppy are dangerous. Yes! They need help and need it badly. It doesn't change that fact if they're mentally ill or not. The criminal act of starving an animal is unconscionable and sickening. I can not fathom it. I wouldn't care if I really disliked an animal, it's behavior or personality, if it didn't fit in and I was planning on re-homing it, I can not understand or sympathize with anyone who would not have the smallest iota of concern for another living thing. Whether it's purposeful or not, withholding food and nurture from any living thing is reprehensible. Neglect is not necessarily purposeful or a thought out thing. The word, neglect implies that it's not really overt or malicious, but a profound lack of caring or empathy and that is every bit as damaging and pathetic as an overt act of abuse.

No one... who lets a dog get like that....who very nearly starves a dog to death, who doesn't like it so doesn't give it ample attention when it's just a tiny baby should NOT be allowed to have any animal or child or even an adult in her care EVER!

Barbara, if you can look at this proof...and it is proof...as near as I think you can get…. And you can look at that picture of this starving, emaciated, miseable little puppy and continue to be in denial, if you continue to defend a criminal...a person who has no empathy or a care in the world for a little baby dog because she doesn't like it‘s personality...then you're as mentally messed up as she! Maybe more!

~Jessie~

Chihuahua Power!
That she had other dogs with mysterious disappearances and questionable nurturing IS relevant because it shows a pattern…that this Fila puppy isn’t a one time lapse in judgement or a freak thing that his condition just snuck up on her. That’s ridiculous. If a dog is losing a lot of weight, a normal person takes it to the vet and it goes on IV’s if necessary. A normal person doesn’t let the dog get thinner and thinner until he is a skeleton!!!!

People with a total disregard for life, a complete lack of empathy for a helpless puppy are dangerous. Yes! They need help and need it badly. It doesn't change that fact if they're mentally ill or not. The criminal act of starving an animal is unconscionable and sickening. I can not fathom it. I wouldn't care if I really disliked an animal, it's behavior or personality, if it didn't fit in and I was planning on re-homing it, I can not understand or sympathize with anyone who would not have the smallest iota of concern for another living thing. Whether it's purposeful or not, withholding food and nurture from any living thing is reprehensible. Neglect is not necessarily purposeful or a thought out thing. The word, neglect implies that it's not really overt or malicious, but a profound lack of caring or empathy and that is every bit as damaging and pathetic as an overt act of abuse.

No one... who lets a dog get like that....who very nearly starves a dog to death, who doesn't like it so doesn't give it ample attention when it's just a tiny baby should NOT be allowed to have any animal or child or even an adult in her care EVER!

Barbara, if you can look at this proof...and it is proof...as near as I think you can get…. And you can look at that picture of this starving, emaciated, miseable little puppy and continue to be in denial, if you continue to defend a criminal...a person who has no empathy or a care in the world for a little baby dog because she doesn't like it‘s personality...then you're as mentally messed up as she! Maybe more!
:hail: :hail:

Shakou

He will not leave my sight. He will not let ME leave his sight, without pitching a fit. To sum it up on one word - this dog is obsessed. When I say that he is soft, I mean that if I even look at him wrong, he falls over himself, half-rolling over and half trying to keep eye contact with the tip of his tail wagging... begging for forgiveness for something he didn't even do. When I try to train him, he just falls into me and stares at me with lovey eyes. When I try to move, he leans into more. I should video it... I have NEVER met a dog like this in my life. And honestly - I don't know what the hell to do with it. No matter HOW I act to him, he does the same thing - falling over himself and me, staring at me like a lovestruck puppy... which I guess he is.
Going through this thread, and reading ALL posts from the start so I have a better idea of what's going on, and I just have to say THIS part kills me. How she can be so cold and incompassionate to a puppy that just wanted love. It sounds to me like he had the grounds for being a very devoted, loyal dog if the effort would have just been put in.

Danefied

My other reason for wanting to hear from Teal is to make sure the other dogs in her care are okay.
I wholeheartedly agree with the above. If everything that appears to be true is indeed true (and Teal and her cheering squad aren’t offering any rebuttals), then Teal needs not have any dogs in her care period. As it is she has 5 that she admits to no?

I’m thrilled the fila pup is safe and sound, but I am very worried for the other dogs. Especially now that all this has come to light. If Teal is indeed in bad shape mentally and emotionally, now that the fit has hit the shan so to speak, now is the time to really watch out for those in her care.

JessLough

Love My Mutt
You know, when you come in OVER AN HOUR after anything else has been said and say bullshit like this, you are just bringing up the thread into the "New Posts" section and making more people see it and more people comment.

~Tucker&Me~

I’m thrilled the fila pup is safe and sound, but I am very worried for the other dogs. Especially now that all this has come to light. If Teal is indeed in bad shape mentally and emotionally, now that the fit has hit the shan so to speak, now is the time to really watch out for those in her care.
Very true.

Romy

Taxiderpy
Jairi made this thread specifically as a cover for whatever she was planning to do with Bullseye. She never contacted Dianna to come get him. Here is Dianna's e-mail to me confirming this.

I feel like throwing up and punching something. She lied to us. She lied to everyone. She knew what she did was wrong and lied to cover it up. No matter how sick she is, she knew it was wrong. And I'm willing to bet he isn't her first victim. I just hope he's the last.

The first time she said she wanted to return Bullseye was the third time I had contact with her. It was the Friday before I had to go be with my mother and father-in-law after her surgery. Saturday I was with them and Sunday I went to get Bullseye.

She contacted me twice in the two months he was with her. She didn't understand why he was so attached to her. I talked to her about what she could try. If she could not feed him she could have told me so and I would have come sooner and got him. He had no problem eating with his new family the same day I took him from Jari and gave him to them. REALLY?!

I have had two other kids go to homes and come back. They are willing to give their accounts about my diligence. The pups I have are more than able to stay here and be kept for. My two litters over seventeen years were products of betterment. I am not affiliated with enough forums to know what all is said about me. I only have references of people who have given permission, whom have been to my home and have bought and not bought, that may talk in privacy to anyone, about my character. My web site www.delalunakennel.com has all the good and bad that has happened in my life. I believe in complete disclosure. I have posted everything possible from vets, training, health screening, showing, etc., so that anyone may see who we are and what we do. I challenge other breeders to put as much good/bad as available.

Jari is horrible, she abused my baby. The only reason I found out about the extremity of the situation was from an e-mail from someone who let me know about forum correspondence that I wasn't privy too.

Again, anyone whom you communicate with is more than welcome to call me. I hope no one else sells/gives one of their kids to her. I have told her this directly on the phone in the last few weeks.

SkyRock

Very well said! I wish could bold the last part but I am on my Blackberry. And not only Barbara, whoever supports this cruelty and continues to defend another human who neglects and abuse an innocent dog is a mentaly ill person. I honestly pray that Barbara is just one of those 'too proud to acknowledge my terrible mistakes' kinda person, and that infact SHE DOES see the abuse but is too afraid to admit it.

Members online

No members online now.