guess on cute little mix

Maxy24

This is a dog at Save-A-Dog who I just could not put a breed to, nothing. Best dog ever by the way. Lets me pet him in the rough and tumble way I like to do and enjoys it, very playful and decent at tug. He's medium, smaller than most pit bulls though.

MicksMom

Oh good grief, is he cute or what? Don't ask me why, but my first thought was there's some Shiba Inu in there. Our son walked in and said he looks like "one of those barkless dogs", so add Basenji to the list. And there's something about his coat that reminds me of a Norwegian Elkhound (obviously not the color- red Elkies are very rare). So, I guess that makes my guess Shiba/Basenji/Elkhound.

Romy

Taxiderpy
This is going to sound weird, but something about him looks puggish. Like, he might be a quarter pug or something, with some other larger breed/s in him. What a cutie!

ETA: Kinda like someone's "puggle" hooked up with an elkhound, or maybe a corgi or smaller gsd mix or something. I dunno.

Maxy24

Thanks for the guesses everyone! He's definitely mixed with a lot of things, that's for sure. Here's another picture in case it sparks anymore ideas:

stardogs

Behavior Nerd
I see a ton of chow in there, plus maybe a bit of sharpei (short nose, little folded ears), and maybe beagle for the cute expression??

corgipower

Tweleve Enthusiest
I could agree with beagle. Maybe some flavor of terrier and spitz.

Whatever he is, I wanna give him smooches. That is the cutest face. :p I absolutely love his eyes. I hope he finds a home fast!

Maxy24

I can't believe he HASN'T found a home yet. I am absolutely in love with the dog. I gave him a bath and although he clearly wanted out he didn't get upset with me at all and continued to enjoy the petting he got in the tub. He was happy to see me after the bath too. He was really responsive too. You could get his attention fairly easily and if you called him and made welcoming gestures he ran right over. when playing tug if I held the toy up he would jump once or twice but would rethink it and try sitting. I don't know if he had previous training or is just good at training.

The weird thing was his reaction to a family that came to see him. Now when he first met me we were quick friends, I reached out and he was happy to leap on me and get petting and play tug. But when this family came in he acted SO scared of them, he clearly was most fearful of the boy (he was like 8), followed by the dad, then daughter (like 12) and was most comfortable, although still weary, with the mother. He would dodge their hands but didn't stay completely away. He would come to me and let me pet him normally when they were around but just wouldn't let them touch him. After a half hour or so he had finally warmed up to the daughter and if someone was already petting him he'd let the son pet him but he continued to dart away if the son approached by himself. The family didn't see put off by it, not even the boy who really liked the dog, but clearly they decided it wasn't a good match.

Perhaps that is why he has no home yet, he's a completely different dog around kids.

Romy

Taxiderpy
I can't believe he HASN'T found a home yet. I am absolutely in love with the dog. I gave him a bath and although he clearly wanted out he didn't get upset with me at all and continued to enjoy the petting he got in the tub. He was happy to see me after the bath too. He was really responsive too. You could get his attention fairly easily and if you called him and made welcoming gestures he ran right over. when playing tug if I held the toy up he would jump once or twice but would rethink it and try sitting. I don't know if he had previous training or is just good at training.

The weird thing was his reaction to a family that came to see him. Now when he first met me we were quick friends, I reached out and he was happy to leap on me and get petting and play tug. But when this family came in he acted SO scared of them, he clearly was most fearful of the boy (he was like 8), followed by the dad, then daughter (like 12) and was most comfortable, although still weary, with the mother. He would dodge their hands but didn't stay completely away. He would come to me and let me pet him normally when they were around but just wouldn't let them touch him. After a half hour or so he had finally warmed up to the daughter and if someone was already petting him he'd let the son pet him but he continued to dart away if the son approached by himself. The family didn't see put off by it, not even the boy who really liked the dog, but clearly they decided it wasn't a good match.

Perhaps that is why he has no home yet, he's a completely different dog around kids.
Maybe it's a sign that he needs to become a chaz dog. ;) :cool:

Dekka

Just try me..
Considering his size I would say spitz, or pei and terrier. Very cute.. hope he finds a home

ACooper

I see he has dew claws on front AND back...........how common is that? Perhaps that could be another clue to help narrow it down?

He is VERY adorable! I am surprised he hasn't been snatched up already too :)

Dekka

Just try me..
I see he has dew claws on front AND back...........how common is that? Perhaps that could be another clue to help narrow it down?

He is VERY adorable! I am surprised he hasn't been snatched up already too :)
Kaiden has rears, and throws rears, even double dew claws.

Members online