Dekka's away, and the dogs start fighting :(

Snip

Banned
As some (or all?) of you may know, SWMBO is away for a couple days, horse related (I'm sure she'll have a thread to fill everyone in) . Unfortunately, with the hours I'm running, the dogs are out enough to do there business, but not a lot more.

Since I was home slightly earlier tonight than some nights, I let everyone out in the appropriate 'shifts', leaving the largest group to last so they could hang out for a while. This would be the two whippets, Dekka, Scandal, and Snip. Everything was okay for a while (okay...a lot of running, bouncing, etc, but what do you think when they'd been crated a good chunk of the day?)

I could hear some snarling/growling, thought maybe it was Snip and Dekka over a toy or something, but when I went to see, I could tell a fight was going.....and Dekka wasn't in it, so....who? Then as I could see the hair, I could tell it was Kaiden....who I thought was locked up in his crate....seeing as Snip and him don't get along.

Grrr......only myself, and 6 dogs (four JRT's) are into a fight....the two males hanging onto each other, and the two girls thinking they should grab and run where they can. I was yelling enough that Dekka and Scandal started to back off, which let me get a hold of Snip....of course, being the 'tough' chicken he is, he'd grabbed Kaiden by the rear hock and was hanging on.....Now that the girls were leaving him alone, Kaiden grabbed onto Snip.....I finally choked Snip enough for him to let go, and Kaiden let go when I yelled at him enough, fortunately his grip wasn't doing any damage.

Snip, then Sizzle got crated, followed by the whippets. Dekka knew enough to leave things alone now. Called SWMBO at the hotel, and went over things with her (sorry, blood just isn't something I do well with.....) and she told me what/where the pain medication was for Kaiden. It was bleeding a bit, but not enough to require stitches fortunately, we already paid our share of emergency vet bills for now. (Horse related, there's a thread somewhere!)

Other than favouring it (understandably) I don't think it's too bad....I hope my poor diagnosis is correct, definitely not one of my strong suits. Of course...now we'll need to be extra careful the next few days, since Snip will think he's 'all that' for picking on dad with two others helping out.....

Sometimes I wonder what it would be like to have one dog...maybe a boring breed of some sort.........

bcmoffatt

totally normal
Yikes!! That's rough. :( I hope everything is okay.
It's tough dealing with a bunch of dogs by yourself and working full time... I tend to get stuck looking after people's dogs, and it stresses me out. I'm sure the dogs pick that up. And being cooped up all day doesn't help either!

My sympathies.

Super glue gel is what my vet clued me into when I had a cat who kept ripping out stitches. Butterfly bandages also work well if you can shave the are so that they'll stick.

You know, you could really use a Kharma. The effect she has on brouhahas like that is amazing, lmao! Even Terriers tremble when she roars ;)

Snip

Banned
Well, this morning, looks like no long term effects, Snip has a swollen foot (but he's a big wimp in reality anyway) and Kaiden is somewhat stiff/sore, but they'll both be all right. I think I more had to vent because it was the two hardest to separate that got into it, while I was here alone....Murphy's law perhaps?

drmom777

Bloody but Unbowed
Glad everything is ok. Like Renee, I have a dog who doesn't like altercations and has a good roar. He keeps Mini out of trouble at the dog park, and breaks up cat fights here at home. Maybe you need to add a Fila or loudmouth hound to your menagerie!

MafiaPrincess

Obvious trollsare Obvious
You need a passive breed to go with the whippets :) Non escape artists who don't put their teeth in each other. haha

I'm sorry you got stuck breaking up a fight. That really sucks. Sounds like you managed well though.

I too am a huge crazy glue fan. I've only had one grooming mishap and it was pretty scary, I couldn't get the blood flow stopped and ended up using crazy glue. Messy but it worked..

Dakotah

Kotah BEAR
Oh sorry that happened.

I will be more than happy to take Kaiden off you hands. hehe :D

Well, this morning, looks like no long term effects, Snip has a swollen foot (but he's a big wimp in reality anyway) and Kaiden is somewhat stiff/sore, but they'll both be all right. I think I more had to vent because it was the two hardest to separate that got into it, while I was here alone....Murphy's law perhaps?
Murphy had nothing to do with it, lol . . . They're TERRIERS. They knew that had the drop on you. :D

corgipower

Tweleve Enthusiest
Glad it wasn't worse...Double check that there isn't a puncture causing the swollen foot. I used to work at a boxer kennel and when I was there by myself we had a major fight...At least JRT's don't weigh as much...

Snip

Banned
I know the swollen foot is from a tooth puncture, we'll
(okay, Kerri can now since she's home :) ) keep an eye on it for infection though.

Kerri got back home this evening, so she can take on the 'dog' responsibilities again.....my schedule is such that I can only do bits and pieces at best. Today, for example, I left the house at 7 (often it's 5:30) and didn't get home until 7:30 tonight. The unofficial plan was that Kerri would likely be home earlier than she was, fortunately, the dogs didn't have any messes for us. That was also an exceptionally long day for them, had we known it would be that long, we would have made some kind of arrangement to get them out midday.

Both boys are starting to use their legs more, I imagine that being more or less 'immobile' for so long today wouldn't have helped at all...though they would have been able to rest a lot.

Dekka

Just try me..
Update...

Snip is totally fine (and thinks he is 'the man')

Kaiden is still really sore, but nothing major seems to be the issue, so he likely needs more rest and meds.

Silly terriers. Snip (the dog) likes DH a LOT, but is less than responsive to him at times. I bet he was just waiting for his chance.

Members online

No members online now.