traveling with dogs

dogsarebetter

EVIL SHELTIES!!!!
in january i am going on a ski trip with some friends and Ruckus will be coming along.
what do i need to bring for him? here is my list

-soft sided travel crate (maybe)
-collapsible water and food bowls (another maybe)
-food of course
-light weight doggy jacket
-booties (maybe)
-treats
-his blankets
-favorite toys
-something to chew on during the ride

hmm, what am i missing? also any tips

bubbatd

Make sure he has a contact number on collar . Leash of course and Rx kit . How long and how far are you going ??

Zoom

Twin 2.0
Pick-up bags and the water bowl is a must unless he knows how to drink out of a water bottle. I give little bits of water at the rest stops and then let them out to pee about an hour or so later.

Lizmo

Water Junkie
Also I would bring a 20 or 30 foot lead with you!

So he does not have to stay RIGHT beside you the whole time! :)

Ditto with Grammy and Zoom! :D

sam

I would definetly bring the crate for him. I often travel with a container of cooked rice and/or pumpkin in case of yucky-d , pepto pills for the same reason. Most collapsible bowls leak within an hour so I have either the ruffdawg ones or just some stainless stell ones to travel with. I give the dogs ginger capsules before heading out for car sickness- if it's a longish drive. If I'm going somewhere like a mountain park where the dogs aren't supposed to be off leash I might pack a flexi so they can have more freedom on walks /hikes. Stuffed kongs if they are going to be confined for any length of time ie while you are skiing. Most motels here you have to crate your dog if you're not in the room with him. I always travel with an old towel and I always seem to use it. An like Babbatd said make sure your contact info is on his tags- ie your cell, the hotel etc.

Brattina88

You've received good advice :) The water helps; some dogs have sensitive stomachs and water can be different in different areas.

Don't forget the doggy brush - just in case something gets tangled in his fur, or to help with shedding or whatnot ;)
You also might want to take some towels to get the snow off of him when transitioning from inside to outside... I'm sure if you stay at a hotel or something they'd appriciate it.

dogsarebetter

EVIL SHELTIES!!!!
oh yes he is going to have this crate no doubt at all. i am just debating on lugging this wire one that doesnt even fold around, or gets a collapsible or even a folding wire crate.

thanks for the help guys!!

Staff online

Members online