Deaf Training - tricks?

Brattina88

I am in denial and I don't want to admit this act all :rofl1: but.....

Maddie is now deaf.

She has a great base (11 years worth LOL), and I've always taught signals along with commands so the transition has not been too difficult. The things I've struggled with mostly was her running off. This is a dog who I've always done off leash work, hikes, etc and it's been hard for us both to get used to. :( leashes, fences, and she still has the energy and drive to run and gogogo, so we've had do to some new barrier/doorway etiquettes to curb that.
Luckily, I've also taken a couple courses in ASL when I had a deaf student in my classroom. I'm extremely rusty - but good enough for dog training!

Maddie has learned to "look" when I stomp twice on the floor. This has been a tremendous help in itself. And extremely easy to teach :D and the same thing when I flick the lights. And I have the flashlight app on my phone so I can flash at the same speed :p lol! Flicking the porch light is the best. (and the cool thing is Bailey has picked it up, too). So a stomp and the "come" hand signal works flawlessly.

So, she knows the basics and all of the tricks she knew previously (which is a lot, to be honest. I was having a hard time coming up with new stuff already) I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions of new things I could teach her?

I've found that I really really like our silent training sessions. In the beginning, I was talking anyway... But anyone who knows me personally knows I can be kind of naturally quiet and at times shy - I almost prefer it! Actually, it's really opened my eyes and I would really consider adopting a deafie in the future :eek:

Members online

No members online now.