The biggest Ada problem (need advice)

Shai

& the Muttly Crew
I think part of it is that she is not a very easy (imo) dog to focus. Even when she was better she'd have some toy drive but it wasn't like Mia who would play ball till she dropped. She gets bored of ball or of training or of tug really quick [...] Ada kind of reminds me of a mini boxer or something. Just spazzing everywhere with no real reason to and no real idea of what she's doing. The dogs I am used to tend to be the type that it is easy to utilize the energy to be productive because they naturally kind of focus it (if that makes sense). It's not just all over the place like Ada's is.
She sounds sooooo much like how Webster was lol. Nutterball, screaming his head off any time he was crated/separated (and he has this piercing yodel-scream thing that just cuts a person to the soul), no interest in toys, little interest in food, no concept of training, totally self-educated, didn't care what people thought... except instead of housetraining issues we had food/location guarding issues...and he had whipworm not heartworm so he was limited but not in the same ways...

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Dekka, I don't know what's going on. I can't see your post either.

She sounds sooooo much like how Webster was lol. Nutterball, screaming his head off any time he was crated/separated (and he has this piercing yodel-scream thing that just cuts a person to the soul), no interest in toys, little interest in food, no concept of training, totally self-educated, didn't care what people thought... except instead of housetraining issues we had food/location guarding issues...and he had whipworm not heartworm so he was limited but not in the same ways...
Haha give me some hope? :p

Shai

& the Muttly Crew
Haha give me some hope? :p
Hey he has his first Open obe leg, qualified and worked for a while (til I got Mira and took on a department as my old job) as a therapy dog, has started accumulating MACH points 6 months and 7 trials into agility trialing, is considered a canine angel by my parents, was on the nat'l ranking list for APDT and has gotten his ARCHX in a year, has been trustworthy off leash in wildlife-filled woods for about two years, can be trusted to remain quiet in a soft crate (albeit with zipper clipped) at trials, earned his CGC, is a tugging maniac and will do anything for food, a stranger can pet him while he's eating, will leave places he's claimed when asked (granted talks the whole time but hops off nicely), is a fabulous ambassador for mystery mutts because he just charms the pants off people...

And possibly the biggest accomplishment to date: we have contractors working in the house where we are currently living (remodeling) and he settles quietly all day with strangers walking all about the house.

Anything is possible. Anything.

With time. lol

I was thinking doggy diapers, and someone mentioned a basket muzzle.... I know it's not the best idea ever but what about making her wear both (muzzle would prevent her from taking diapers off too) and letting her roam around on her own some. I too think it's the novelty of her being loose "omg cooooooooool! Yayayayayyay! I am LOOSE, whats over there, can I eat it???" But if she gradually was loose longer and longer that novelty would wear off "Oh I am loose again.... ehhh, so what?"

.... I totally get why your not really able to, but maybe with a diaper and basket muzzle she won't be able to get into too much trouble (you would think LOL). Supervised of couse, but just increase the time she's loose then take the diaper off for longer and longer then the muzzle. She sounds very anxious, does anyone know if the DAP collars really work? Depending on how bad it is, maybe even meds then try weaning them off.

I know this is a whole debate, but *maybe* the spay will calm her down the way a neuter calms down some males? It takes a while, months but one can hope. I feel for you, I know how you probably feel... found dog, no one wants it, surprise heartworms, surprise preg too, and issues. I know it HAS to be overwhelming, but you are honestly ALL that Ada has at the moment and even if they don't show it I believe that animals DO appreciate it. How would they not notice that they are no longer starving, sick, homeless, unloved, ect? I think you will find the perfect home I really do, she just needs some work first.

It won't easy but it will be worth it. (makes me think of the starfish story where the man throws the beached starfist back in the water and someone asked him "why bother when there are hundreds, what's the point?" And he tossed one in and said "It mattered to that one."

(sorry if this makes no sense, I am so sleepy right now lol)

Shai

& the Muttly Crew
^Going to second DogKisses' "Yay Laurelin! *cheer* We're all rooting for you" sentiment

Maxy24

The stealing sounds like Tucker...I never thought of a muzzle. Tonight alone he stole a napkin, tissue, lighter, and juice box. He spent a good 20 minutes trying to take a candy wrapper off of the coffee table. And just when you think you've gotten him to leave it alone he notices your guard is down and goes for it fast.

I feel like the dog would realize the muzzle was the reason he couldn't get things unless you left it on for several weeks.

Thats true but maybe the muzzle would be a good "crutch" in her... anxiety "omg whats over there, ohhhhh I think all of this is SO COOL" and that maybe she would eventually be like "I already know every inch of this house.... it's not very interesting..." Because she can't be let loose because she is into everything... so you have to prevent her from getting into everything for her saftey and Laur's sanity lol. I doubt the muzzle will calm her, being loose and getting used to her surroundings.... taking it all in might calm her down. The muzzle is just a tool to keep her from nomming everything, and in "therory" if she calms down with the muzzle it would be easier to train her "no everything isn't yours/potty" manners while weaning her off of the muzzle. Sounds like she is anxious about being inside loose... like a kid in a candy store.

(Of course she would have to be supervised while the muzzle was on, not saying this for the Chazers but for the Google-ers)

It might not work, and I am far from an expert but this is all I can think of... lol.

I don't have it yet, but everyone on here lives/breaths the "Click to Calm" book. That may help you a lot too, Laur. ;)

milos_mommy

Click to Calm is a book almost entirely on dog aggression, not general anxiety.

I have a feeling things will get a TON easier once she isn't on bedrest and can burn off some energy, Laur.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
I am really hoping that being able to give her actual exercise will be better. I think she'll start being able to get some exercise once her stitches are out but I'm supposed to keep her relatively quiet for the duration of her HW treatment, which is 90 days plus another month. Joy.

She's a very 'physical' dog as compared to my papillons if that makes sense. She's not so much into training (which is my main go-to with the paps when they're being rowdy) and all that but really just wants to run around like crazy and be wild. So it's a bit challenging now and I don't think she's getting what she needs exercise wise but I'm just not sure what to do about it. Her future owner definitely needs to be the type that will take her biking a few miles a day or something of that sort.

Thanks for all the encouragement, tips, and well wishes! I know she has what it takes to be a good pet. It's just a bit overwhelming sometimes. But I think it's going relatively well.

Members online

No members online now.