Caesar keeps having diarrhea

T

tessa_s212

Get a zip sandwich baggy. Turn it inside out. Put your hand in it, and grab as much as you can. Turn it back right side out, and zip it up. You don't need a whole baggy full, just as much as you can get.

Yes, still try pumpkin. It may help him stay more hydrated until he can be seen.

JessLough

Love My Mutt
Should I still try pumpkin or pepto bismol?
I would try pepcid. Pumpkin is used usually to get a dog to go to poo, he seems to be doing that himself. You can use pepto instead of pepcid, although be aware that pepto has aspirin in it. Safe for most dogs, but some can't handle it. (we were using pepto, vet told us to switch to pepcid just to be safe)

He just barfed up 2 big chunks of what looked like bone :confused: :( He had one of those packaged smoked bones, but I always take it away before they chew it too much. Wonder if Justin maybe let him have one too long... :( Looks like he has eaten a lot of grass today too.

Ohh geez... :( :(

Hi, Shane was the same way when I first brought him home, constant diarrhea, but everyone said not to worry, with the food change, and the stress from all the changes, his tummy just had to get used to it. They were right. Sending good thoughts for Ceasar and you.
By the way, what puppy food do you guys recommend? He's on pedigree right now because that's what the shelter was using.

Last edited:
So far we've found out..... It's not parvo. So that's good. He's had 3 episodes of uncontrollable diarrhea in the exam room so they got a good sample. He's getting an xray now.

Zoom

Twin 2.0
That's good...giardia can wreak havoc on a system as well. Hope it all turns out fine in the end!

Canned pumpkin is used as the great "equalizer". It will firm up loose stool and soften up hard stool.

FoxyWench

Salty Sea Dog
keep us updated, it sounds like giardia to me...*fingers crossed for a quick and safe recovery*

oh and once all is done at the vets see what they think it is, ask them if they belive its something he had before you got him and get copies of all the reports and the bill and send them to the place you got him from, this doesnt seem like something that would just appear out of nowhere...and many shelters, if the vet deems its an illness they had before hand and the shelter should have known about it will reinburse the vet costs.

There's blood in it now. But they think it's just plain ol' gastroenteritis, probably from a combination of things including stress, new foods and the bone, and now his natural bowel flora is becoming overgrown or something. Anyway, I'm just a big worrywart and he'll be fine. They're giving him subcutaneous fluids and he'll be on complete bowel rest until morning, then water, then maybe I'll try some pumpkin. And hopefully my vet can squeeze him in, but I was able to speak to them today and they said probably not til Tuesday.

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
Awww, I just saw this =< Poor Caesar! I hope you get some positive results soon! Sounds like he will be a-okay with some meds and time though. Auggie had an overgrowth of a natural bacteria in his belly once, too, and it caused diarrhea also. He got antibiotics for a week and was just fine.
Pick up some more pumpkin though if you don't have any left. I needed some to get things moving again after the diarrhea had stopped!

Yup he's doing just fine this morning. He got through the whole night without 1 episode of vomiting OR diarrhea. They had given him zofran and Penicillin at the vet and now he's on metronidazole. He'll see his regular vet tomorrow or wednesday.

Thanks for all your vibes :)

Bailey08

Poor boy. :(

I'm glad he's doing better. Bailey is on metronidazole and it always clears up his diarrhea right away -- I hope it works as well for Caesar!

filarotten

Fila the love
I'm so glad he is better.

Pedialyte is also very good to use when your dog is sick. It helps replace electrolytes which can be lost during diarrhea and vomiting.

Members online

No members online now.