ATTN: IOWA CHAZZERS (bsl related)

SizzleDog

Lord Cynical
In lieu of Ohio's proposed ban on "pit bull dogs", I've revisited something that I've thought about for a loong time now.

Iowa needs a group - an organized group - to fight BSL. It's happening all around us, it's rearing its ugly head in various Iowa counties... it's only a matter of time before one of these bills appears in Iowa.

Thing is, I don't know how to start something like this. Ideally, the group would have a website for BSL alerts and information, contact information for IA politicians, information about "stigma breeds", etc. Groups would visit pet expos and public events, bringing friendly, well-adjusted, "bomb proof" dogs potentially affected by BSL - to show the public what wonderful animals they can be. Booths would also provide education and information. A side-project of mine (again, redyre reminded me of this with one of her posts) - a CHILDREN'S guide to dog safety and the "stigma breeds" - create a pamphlet with a "cast of characters" - a pit bull, a dobe, a rottweiler, an akita or gsd or chow... ya know, something fluffy. ;)

I have a logo so far... just something I've been playing around with. The dog in the logo is named Heartland. He'd play a big role in the children's pamphlet... ;)

Whatcha think? Is there any way to get this out of my head and into the "real world"? Does anyone more experienced in these matters have any advice or suggestions?

Mayasmydobe

I'm PAWMAZING!
I whole heartedly agree Sizzle. I dont know how to get a group going either, but you have my support 100%. I would like to be a part of this group too!
If you need my help with anything, just let me know!

Ideally the group should have some financial backers or a way to make money. The best way to combat BSL is by hiring a lobbyist to support your group.

scob89

DILLIGAF?
I am with you 100% as well, There is a GSD at the shelter here I could bring to one of the pet expos, he is perfect for it.

Probably start small, but I'm no expert. The reason the AR people seem to be so far ahead of us though is the fact that their groups spend money on lobbyists. Any group is better than none though, and we need to get our word out.

Suzzie

Aging Canine Advocate
logo-wise, i'd use a different font for "against..." it took me a minute to figure out what that word was, hard to read...

kudos on trying to start an anti BSL group!!

noludoru

Bored Now.
^^ So would I. But it looks GREAT, Sizzle.

Maybe something you want to do is contact groups like it in other states to get some support/advice. :)

Sada

Setterz are Betterz!!
Awesome idea!!

And as others have said, if you need any help let me know.

I'm moving to Iowa this fall, and I'd love to help. I simply can't tolerate living in any area affected by BSL.

Phoenixangelwyngs

Zookeeper Extraordinaire!
BSL is STUPID. Every dobe I've met's been awesome. Every pit I've met has likewise been the same. I had a boxer when I was little. The dog taught my brother and I to walk. We'd pull on the dog IN ANY LOCATION and she just didn't care.... so we'd pull to standing and she'd walk around with us hanging onto her for dear life. Awesome dog.

If a specific dog is a problem, that's the DOG's problem... don't target the breed.

That said, some dogs just ARE more prone to aggression. What should be happening is OWNER SPECIFIC LEGISLATION. If you're going to use techniques that could allow aggressive tendencies to surface when you train, you just shouldn't have a dog that would easily pick up on that.
But then, I have a Border Collie that is sorta dog aggressive and who in their right mind would ever think about a vicious little sheepdog? No one. It's not the breed, it's the dog. Sizzle, you've my support also.

Members online

No members online now.