Moving overseas with dogs?

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
Having a bit of a mild freakout moment.

Michael just called and said that there is a very good chance he will be given the opportunity to be stationed overseas. He doesn't know where, he doesn't know if he'll be given a choice in either a.) if he will go and b.) if he'll be able to choose the location, and he doesn't know for how long (he's thinking ~2 years). He called to see what I thought of the idea.

I said that moving overseas didn't bother me. It would be kind of a cool opportunity, and if I'm going to be moving across the country anyway...may as well go big or go home! However, my one MAJOR concern is the dogs. I am not leaving them behind. Period. Cynder has major health issues and finding someone to care for he would be unrealistic, and I am NOT leaving Abrams for two years. End of discussion. That would just...destroy me.

I know that Japan has an insane quarantine time for importing a dog from a rabies-present country (aka, the USA), but I wasn't sure what other countries would also be extremely difficult to import dogs to? Is the UK also difficult to get in to? Does it differ for military families? Would I be able to quarantine in my own home (on base)? Cynder is really worrying me, because she would not do well in a boarding type facility for any length of time, and I don't have anyone here to care for her due to her health issues.

As I said. Having a mild freakout moment. He's hoping he'll find out more information tomorrow and the sooner I know, the sooner I can get the ball rolling for rabies titers and all of that jazz. He wouldn't be leaving until at least May when all of his training is up, so I have some time to start doing things now!

Trying not to get my panties in a wad too much since we really don't know anything yet - but I'll be damned if I have to choose between my husband and my dog, because I'm not sure who would win. :p :eek:

Dagwall

Speaking only from what I remember reading on threads like this in the past and zero personal experience...

It depends on what country and their regulations. In most cases you can start the process before you go and it will reduce and possibly eliminate the quarantine period when you arrive.

From what I recall reading there is usually a relocation coordinator of sorts for each military branch and they should be able to help with the details for moving with your animals. It can be a pain in the ass and expensive but it's certainly doable.

Hopefully someone with actual experience with this will chime in.

*blackrose

We've helped get pets ready to go overseas at the clinic I work at (doing blood titers and health certs, helping to explain the process/etc) and all I remember is just that it is a giant pain in the rear.

After reading around a bit more, it *looks* like, if Michael finds out soon and I can start the process NOW, it should be relatively painless. I can do the required rabies titers and start jumping through hoops now so then hopefully in six months when he's stationed I'll either have most of the required wait period over and done with, and/or the dogs will just need to either stay home with my parents for only a month or so and then follow later, or come with and stay in quarantine for only a month or so versus half a year.

Michael's hoping to have an answer today. I told him to specifically ask regarding dogs when he's speaking with whoever about it, so hopefully I'll be able to get more specifics.

Dunno about Japan, but as someone who has gone back and forth to the UK and will have to bring Astro next time, it is a pain but has become relatively streamlined. From what I remember, to take a dog from the US to the UK, the dog should be microchipped, rabies vaccinated, have a blood test to get the certification to board, and a tick/parasites treatment a certain amount of time just before boarding (24 hours, I think?).

Here's a little leaflet on it:https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/69502/pb13582-bringing-pets-to-uk-120229.pdf

If you meet the requirements, there is no quarantine period for approved countries, which is nice. You do have to get started on it pretty early in the game, but it's doable - I've never considered leaving Astro an option.

Also, don't know how you feel about the actual transport/what your constraints are, but as someone who's a little leery of putting animals in plane cargo, you can bring pets to the UK on Cunard's Queen Mary 2. I believe that's the only non-air approved route for internationals. I've done the Transatlantic crossing before from Southampton to New York, and that's what I'll do with Astro if I have to bring him.

Saeleofu

Hawaii has a strict rabies policy, but if you start preparing 6-8 months before you leave, and do everything right, there's no reason your dog has to go to quarantine. I'd think other places are the same. I know there are people you can hire to help make sure you do everything right.

We moved to Switzerland and took our pets with us when I was a kid. A bit confusing when it's your first time, but not necessarily a huge pain, depending on where you go.

Once you know what country you're headed to, contact their embassy in the US (if they have one) and they'll be able to help you out and let you know what you need.

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
There's a website we use at work to prepare paperwork for people taking their pets overseas. It lays out what you need for each country. I don't work until next week, but I can link that here when I go in again.

*blackrose

There's a website we use at work to prepare paperwork for people taking their pets overseas. It lays out what you need for each country. I don't work until next week, but I can link that here when I go in again.
That would be awesome, thanks! We have a binder of regulations for different countries somewhere around here...its a slow day today, so I may have to just flip through it.

Hopefully by the end of the week I'll have a better idea of what future plans are. I am really, really getting a workout in the whole "don't worry, have patience, go with the flow" venue! I never really anticipated living overseas as part of the equation. I figured he would be *deployed* overseas, not stationed!

AmandaNola

Wanna Pet My Wiener?
Depends on where you are. I'm taking Nola with me to Europe (focusing in Italy, but we'll go all over) in 2015, so I've look a bit at it. From what I'm understanding - keep in mind I've only looked at Europe- , you have to have the correct shots/records and papers, as well as a written health certificate from your vet and the dogs have to have an ISO (or IOS?) microchip. So long as you have all that, you don't have to quarantine. I think even Britain has dropped the quarantine requirement, although they're still very strict.
There's a blog called Dog Jaunt that has tons of info on traveling overseas with dogs. It's mostly for small dog owners, since lots of it's about in cabin flying, but the paper work they go over is the same.

Dizzy

Sit! Good dog.
For the UK you need to look at the DEFRA website, has all info on there. Its quite straightforward.

Members online

No members online now.