Natural Balance Roll-A-Rounds

B

Bobsk8

I have been buying these treats for Smokey for about 2 months. She might have food allergies so I am feeding her a diet that is aimed towards eliminating alot of different possible allergens. Yesterday I was looking at the package ot Roll-A-Rounds and on the back of the package in bold letters it says

"No Artifical Preservatives, Favors and colors. Does not contain corn, soy, wheat, rice, eggs or diary products."

Now immediately below that bold lettering, the ingredients are listed and here they are

" Lamb, Lamb Hearts, Lamb Kidneys, Lamb Lungs, Whole Wheat Flour, Rice Flour, Lamb Fat (Preserved with Mixed Tocopherols and Ascorbic Acid-Source of Vitamin C), Sucrose, Ground Whole Flaxseed, Calcium Carbonate, Sodium Chloride, Sodium Phosphates, Brewers Yeast, Dried Kelp Meal, Lecithin, Natural Smoke Flavor, Glycerin, Choline Chloride, Potassium Chloride, Zinc Proteinate, Ferrous Sulfate, Iron Proteinate, Vitamin E Supplement, Vitamin B-12 Supplement, Copper Proteinate, Niacin, Vitamin A Acetate, Manganous Oxide, Calcium Pantothenate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin, Calcium Iodate, Folic Acid, Thiamine Mononitrate, Vitamin D-3 Supplement, Biotin, Sodium Selenite, Sodium Nitrite."

http://www.naturalbalanceinc.com/dogformulas/RollARounds.html
I called Natural Balance to ask about this apparent error in their packaging and explained to the customer service person that do may people that have allergic dogs, this is an important issue. She took my name and address and told me they would get back with, so I will post what happens in that discussion. In the mean time, if your dog is allergic to those 2 ingredients, don't feed them this treat.. ( Smokey will be bummed out cause she loves them....)

showpug

That is too bad. Have you tried their roll food? I use that as treats and bait for the show ring. I think their lamb roll doesn't contain any wheat and that is why I buy that one. It's worth a try, my dogs love it.

Keep us posted on what the company says...

otch1

I too use the Natural Balance lamb roll for bait, at shows. I also cut it and keep it in baggies for training treats. I find that it's much more economical that buying liver bait and smaller bags of soft food/treats, it has a longer shelf life and no wheat.

Doberluv

When I am brave and can withstand the aroma in my kitchen which lingers for a couple of hours, I make up my own treats which I can freeze in baggie until needed. Here's the recepie if you like:

1 pkg. chicken livers (probably about a LB)

1 egg

2 cups oat flour

Pre-heat oven to 350F

Grease 8x8 pyrex (or other) casserole dish

In blender, puree liver and egg

Pour in mixing bowl

Slowly stir in oat flour and mix well

Pour into baking pan

(I sprinkle a little fresh parmessan cheese on it or mix it in)

Bake for about 30 minutes or until sides pull away from edge of pan.

Partially cool on baking rack

Cut into the smallest squares you can....about 1/4 inch. (this is the hard part, hard on your wrists)

Cool, give a few to the dogs who have been waiting patiently. Let them lick the bowl and/or beaters if you used a mixer.

Then put cooled treats into baggies and freeze....keeping out enough for a couple of days so they won't spoil. When not using, store those in refer. They're dry enough to put in your pocket or you can use a baggie folded way down so you can get at them easily. Hang your coat or fleece up when you come back inside. I've had 3 pockets torn out by Jose getting into them when I hung my coat on a kitchen chair. Those are hard to resist.:D

These are a high value treat, believe me. Don't know about allergies to these things, so if it's OK for that, it is easy and cheap to do.

B

Bobsk8

That is too bad. Have you tried their roll food? I use that as treats and bait for the show ring. I think their lamb roll doesn't contain any wheat and that is why I buy that one. It's worth a try, my dogs love it.

Keep us posted on what the company says...
I am afraid that the Lamb Roll is what they make the Roll-A-Round treats from. They just slice and bake the lamb rolls. It has the same ingredients including the wheat and rice. ( Smokey loves the rolls too :( )

Lamb, Lamb Hearts, Lamb Kidneys, Lamb Lungs, Whole Wheat Flour, Rice Flour, Lamb Fat (Preserved with mixed Tocopherols and Ascorbic Acid source of Vitamin C) Sucrose, Ground Whole Flaxseed, Calcium Carbonate, Sodium Chloride, Sodium Phosphates, Brewer's Yeast, Dried Kelp Meal, Lecithin, Natural Smoke Flavor, Glycerin, Choline Chloride, Potassium Chloride, Zinc Proteinate, Ferrous Sulfate, Iron Proteinate, Vitamin E Supplement, Vitamin B-12 Supplement, Copper Proteinate, Niacin, Vitamin A Acetate, Manganous Oxide, Calcium Pantothenate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin, Calcium Iodate, Folic Acid, Thiamine Mononitrate, Vitamin D-3 Supplement, ,Biotin, Sodium Selenite, Sodium Nitrite.

showpug

I am afraid that the Lamb Roll is what they make the Roll-A-Round treats from. They just slice and bake the lamb rolls. It has the same ingredients including the wheat and rice. ( Smokey loves the rolls too :( )

Lamb, Lamb Hearts, Lamb Kidneys, Lamb Lungs, Whole Wheat Flour, Rice Flour, Lamb Fat (Preserved with mixed Tocopherols and Ascorbic Acid source of Vitamin C) Sucrose, Ground Whole Flaxseed, Calcium Carbonate, Sodium Chloride, Sodium Phosphates, Brewer's Yeast, Dried Kelp Meal, Lecithin, Natural Smoke Flavor, Glycerin, Choline Chloride, Potassium Chloride, Zinc Proteinate, Ferrous Sulfate, Iron Proteinate, Vitamin E Supplement, Vitamin B-12 Supplement, Copper Proteinate, Niacin, Vitamin A Acetate, Manganous Oxide, Calcium Pantothenate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin, Calcium Iodate, Folic Acid, Thiamine Mononitrate, Vitamin D-3 Supplement, ,Biotin, Sodium Selenite, Sodium Nitrite.
Strange...the one I buy doesn't have the wheat flour. I always read them before I buy them to make sure I don't get the one with wheat. It must be the turkey that I buy that doesn't have the wheat???

showpug

I guess I am wrong. I just looked at the rolls on their website and all 3 formulas have wheat flour. I wonder if they changed something recently?

Members online

No members online now.