my cats doesnt have a collar, what is your opinion

mrose_s

BusterLove
There is just something I quickly wanna ask before I go to train my dog.

I have a cat, he has never worn a collar, I know they are designed to just slip off stuff if they get caught, but I would hate for something to stuff up and he gets hung, so he doesnt have one...

what er your thoughts?

Yunalesca has never worn a collar. She absolutely hates them and she never tries to escape. I think as long as they have a microchip, it's fine. If they show no interest in trying to get outside, I think some are even fine without them, as long as they are an indoor cat.

Once my husband and I tried adopting a "stray". I swear, this cat was dirty and VERY thin. It had no collar or any sort of identification. It was winter and the poor thing kept trying to get inside our apartment ever time we opened our door (he had a habit of hanging out around our front door since we always gave him attention). One day, we decided we hated seeing him suffer in the cold and wanted to adopt him. So, he became a healthy indoor cat. We took him to the vet and started taking care of him. About 3 weeks later, we have a knock on our door. Some man saying his niece's cat is in our window.

Of course, we gave him back. Although, it makes me wonder. WHAT IS THE POINT OF OWNING A CAT IF YOU DON'T EVEN TAKE CARE OF IT? And why in the hell would you try to take that cat from a loving and warm enviroment so it could just suffer in the cold again????

That was just a story about a cat without a collar. :) Hehe... sorry I got side tracked.

No, I don't think there is anything wrong with you cat not having a collar.

Barb04

Super Moderator
My cats are indoors, and don't have collars. With all the climbing, etc. they do, I wouldn't trust putting one on in case it got stuck on something.

Gustav

Don't encourage me..
I bought 2 collars (really nice (expensive) sparkly girly collars!!), Katelina went outside, she came back with out the collars!! I think that if she objects that much then she's better off without one!!

My mums cats have never had a collar, and they've always been fine!!

mrose_s

BusterLove
My cat is not microchipped i think... we just havnt got around to it...
he is an outdoor cat, but he's very street smart

Saje

Island dweller
I'm not a fan of collars but I did get my sis', black cat a stretchy, reflective collar that had a snap that would unclip with pressure and a bell. He liked to roam at night and made everyone miserable if he wasn't let out.

I do have some thoughts on tattooing and microchipping though. I was working on a story about stolen horses and I called a few people and learned that are different types of microchipping and that if people don't all use the same machines a microchip could easily go unnoticed. Also, a lot of the time they don't even check for microchipping.

My mom's cats were tattooed in the ear after a by-law was passed about cats roaming free. She keeps them inside now but these two were older cats that did not take to staying home. And, personally I think that is the best form of ID.

Love4Pits

Playful Husky Pup
Each one of my dogs and cats are tattooed. The dogs also wear collars and tags. I never put a collar or tag on my cats because they slip out of them easily and Sidney especially throws a hissy fit if she has to wear one. Their inside outside cats more outside in the summer and they never roam from the property. I worry about them getting caught on things as well especially with Arora the monster tree climber lol.

So in my answer no I don't think its a big deal.

scob89

DILLIGAF?
I don't think is a big deal if they don't have one all 5 of our cats don't have one and they have never had any trouble.

Members online